Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2011, 08:35   #1
Resting in Peace

Angry Bloody McAfee

I got an Email from McAfee security yesterday, saying they had automatically take £54.99p from my account (I have no direct debit with them) for updating my subscriptions for 12 months, there was also an Email address to contact if for any reason you wanted to cancel your subscriptions withing 60 days. I sent of an Email asking for a refund as I no longer used there product. This morning they replied saying I should ring their help line were I would be able to cancel my agreement a receive my money back, ps the charge for this services is £1.53 per minute. The cheeky robbing barstewards, no doubt when I ring this number I'll be waiting for ages before I get an answer which could cost more than the bloody repayment
Old 26-02-2011, 08:46   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Bloody McAfee

If you have no account with them how did they get your bank details to make the debit ?
you need to sort this fast or they will take another payment.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 08:47   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i would send n e-mail back saying i am not paying £1-53 a min to cancel a service i had no direct debit for, check wi yer bank, how can they take it if yeh aint got one? that to me is theft.
Old 26-02-2011, 08:55   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
If you have no account with them how did they get your bank details to make the debit ?
you need to sort this fast or they will take another payment.
Can't understand that mick, there is certainly no direct debit for this account, I've checked, the last time I payed was two years ago when there was a special offer on, so I can't remember how I paid then must have been by debit card or credit card with they have kept on file, which I know does happen, but will find out
Old 26-02-2011, 16:15   #5

Why do you need to take it up with McAfee? Just complain to your bank that the money has been taken from your account without authorisation, and they are obliged to credit your account under the direct debit guarantee.

As long as it is an actual DD, and not a recurring credit card payment - the only (easy) way to stop those if the seller won't stop charging the card is to cancel the card.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 16:19   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Are you sure this is not spam trying to make you ring them and give them your details.
Can you see the payment has actually gone out of your account?
If it has contact your bank and tell them it was not authorised by you.

Do you use McAfee? If so why when you have to pay and others like Avast that I use are free and I dont have problems?
Old 27-02-2011, 09:43   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are you sure this is not spam trying to make you ring them and give them your details.
Can you see the payment has actually gone out of your account?
If it has contact your bank and tell them it was not authorised by you.

Do you use McAfee? If so why when you have to pay and others like Avast that I use are free and I dont have problems?
I was defo from McAfee Neil and yes I did use them but now use BullGuard which is cheaper and fine for me
Old 27-02-2011, 20:20   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was defo from McAfee Neil and yes I did use them but now use BullGuard which is cheaper and fine for me
Cheaper?? why the hell do ya pay fer one? theres good free alternatives.
Old 27-02-2011, 21:00   #9
Beacon of light

I pay for Bullguard too........I have had the free ones....and I didn't find them as effective as Bullguard.
I reckon it is cheaper than having to take your machine in to the shop to have it cleared of viruses, trojan, worms and whatever else...plus the spam filter is excellent.
One subscription covers 3 computers and there is a problem solving service 24/7.......digital vault too
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 22:43   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I pay for Bullguard too........I have had the free ones....and I didn't find them as effective as Bullguard.
I reckon it is cheaper than having to take your machine in to the shop to have it cleared of viruses, trojan, worms and whatever else...plus the spam filter is excellent.
One subscription covers 3 computers and there is a problem solving service 24/7.......digital vault too
you n jaysay must go on some very strange sites? i never had to take into shop fer viruses n stuff me free un removes em if i rarely pick any up.
Old 27-02-2011, 22:49   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
you n jaysay must go on some very strange sites? i never had to take into shop fer viruses n stuff me free un removes em if i rarely pick any up.
Could be this site..
Home | Mail Online
or this..The Conservative Party
(don't click.. you might catch a nasty virus thingy)

Last edited by Mancie; 27-02-2011 at 22:52.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 06:24   #12
Beacon of light

Nope Cashy......I don't visit any strange sites...don't download anything, but sometimes e-mails from friends and family have transmitted viruses........and I got a worm and a trojan in the same way....Or that is what I was told when the machine was fixed.
Since then I have made the conscious choice to pay for my computer to be safeguarded.
If you formulate a program that is good...why give it away free......how is that a good enterprise?
Old 28-02-2011, 06:44   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If you formulate a program that is good...why give it away free......how is that a good enterprise?
They sell it to business users and allow personal users to have the basic version free. By doing this they increase there number of genuine users so it looks good when they advertise it to businesses. That's one of my thoughts on it anyway.
Old 28-02-2011, 09:42   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Could be this site..
Home | Mail Online
or this..The Conservative Party
(don't click.. you might catch a nasty virus thingy)
Well its obvious you've had one for years
Old 28-02-2011, 11:46   #15
Beacon of light

I bough a computer...it must be 4 years ago now, and it had a trial version of Bullguard on it.......60 days.......I had had Norton.......before that and before that one of the free anti virus programs...can't quite remember which it was now.
Norton was dire......hated it......the free program caused me to lose everything when I got a trojan and viruses galore sent on an e-mail from a family member(they didn't know they had a problem)....it cost something in the region of 90quid to get my computer fixed and it taught me a lesson.

I like bullguard, it runs unobtrusively, doesn't slow down the machine, has an excellent back up service from technicians who don't try to blind you with science and will patiently tell you what to do if you get into trouble......that is a service I am happy to pay for, because I think it is cheaper than the alternative.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..