Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2008, 23:03   #1
I am Banned

Broadband

Hi Computer Geeks.

Need to ask a question. I finally went broadband through postoffice telephone 20 days ago, had nothing but trouble, only had 6 working days out of the 20. First call was how to make outllook my email program, did what they said nowt worked, then for 3 days no emails couldn't log on, they said servers were down and engineers were working on it.

Three days later they said it would be on by saturday, it was for about 2 hours. Rang them again about outlook express, went through the settings again, turns out the first advisor had got it wrong, still won't work properly
sent myself a message thro outlook, came back 30 minutes later thro postoffice mail site only.

Who ever wrote the email program for the postoffice wants an anvil shoving up his arse and thowing in the cut.

Does any one know how to make outlook my email server. Gone over the settings that many times, every thing cocked, had to do a roll back.

And still the postoffice email lets my mail thro in drips and drabs, and if I try to read one it says connection dropped.

Help the postoffice can't or won't

Thanks Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2008, 06:45   #2
God Member

Re: Broadband

Firstly it would be making Outlook your email CLIENT not server. the server is what the PO run for you. (although they just resell from someone else)

The Post Office support website is an absolute joke. Have they told you what the POP and SMTP settings are? If they have post them here(not your username at this point!!!) and I'll walk you through the settings

During your issues do you have a good internet connection or is that dodgy as well? (i.e. can you use Acyyweb etc OK?) If not I would suggest cancelling your contract as not fit for purpose under sale of goods act and going with someone who has a decent reputation. Have a look on adslguide.org.uk

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 13:11   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Firstly it would be making Outlook your email CLIENT not server. the server is what the PO run for you. (although they just resell from someone else)

The Post Office support website is an absolute joke. Have they told you what the POP and SMTP settings are? If they have post them here(not your username at this point!!!) and I'll walk you through the settings

During your issues do you have a good internet connection or is that dodgy as well? (i.e. can you use Acyyweb etc OK?) If not I would suggest cancelling your contract as not fit for purpose under sale of goods act and going with someone who has a decent reputation. Have a look on adslguide.org.uk
Yes
pop3.mypostoffice.co.uk
smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk

gone thro the settings twice with them.
in tools/accounts
but I'm sure there is more than just that.
What about all the settings in Control Panel and other places the previous settings were stored. Could there be traces left in WIN INI., and other such files.

Many thanks
Retlaw
Old 01-02-2008, 08:06   #4
God Member

Nope, win.ini is nothing to do with it.

The only place there are details are in your client (remember Outlook is not the only email client). You normally have to add your username/password to the pop section but smtp is normally just authenticated through your connection via their adsl line

You could try thunderbird(Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client) to rule out issues with outlook but TBH it does sound more likely that the PO is at fault.

When you have the issue there is a geeky way to test where you open a telnet session to the POP server and you can issue commands directly on the server. If you feel competant enough to do this let me know and I'll give you the details. Its all Command line stuff but just involves typing stuff in

Last edited by entwisi; 01-02-2008 at 08:08.
Old 01-02-2008, 22:16   #5
I am Banned

Many thanks for the info.
I would like to be able to type in the geeky stuff, then if the postoffice is giving me the runaround, I can give them a right earfull.
I've had a look at the websites for the three email programs you name, but I'm kind of used to Outlook its the only one I've ever used.

My oldest computer with all my important files on is still DOS 6. It has never been connected to the internet, I only use windows on that as a menu, ever since my Brownbag menu folded at midnight Dec 31st 1999.
All the files are regularly backed up using XTGOLD., to a zip drive.

Regards
Retlaw

You could try thunderbird(Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client) to rule out issues with outlook but TBH it does sound more likely that the PO is at fault.

When you have the issue there is a geeky way to test where you open a telnet session to the POP server and you can issue commands directly on the server. If you feel competant enough to do this let me know and I'll give you the details. Its all Command line stuff but just involves typing stuff in[/quote]
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Did you not answer entwisi's question? - is your only problem email or do you loose connection to the internet? If you are loosing connection to the internet I would look at your modem/router whatever you have and see if the ADSL (or DSL ) light is off when you loose connection. You might just have a simple wiring problem in your house. Have you correctly installed the microfilters? I have seen people with nasty phone extension leads with a filter at each end of the lead which screwed it up.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35   #7
I am Banned

Hi Neil.
The ADSL light is solid green, I've never noticed it any other colour, when I'm collecting or trying to read emails is when the problem starts.

If I try to open mail in their program it will tell me, imap connection dropped, (whatever that is) and the postoffice home page disappears.
If I click on the url line at the top and click on the post office home page, re-enter to the emails they are still there, some times i can read them, some times it takes 5 mins runaraound to read and delete 4 or 5 emails. Their program is crap, I want to use Outlook, I can send mail in Outlook but nothing comes back that route, I have to check on the postoffice page. All the wiring and micro filters are plumbed in correctly.

Regards
Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Did you not answer entwisi's question? - is your only problem email or do you loose connection to the internet? If you are loosing connection to the internet I would look at your modem/router whatever you have and see if the ADSL (or DSL ) light is off when you loose connection. You might just have a simple wiring problem in your house. Have you correctly installed the microfilters? I have seen people with nasty phone extension leads with a filter at each end of the lead which screwed it up.
Old 02-02-2008, 18:21   #8
God Member

YOu mentioned it winges about imap? it sounds like its not setup correctly.

Where do you live? I'm on a non working day on Friday and can probably pop round. It will take me ~30 mins to make sure its set up correctly then you will know for sure one way or teh other

Old 02-02-2008, 19:00   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'm on a non working day on Friday
Normal people call them days off Ian
Old 06-02-2008, 13:13   #10

I had a lot of similar problems with e mail using talktalk, I found and I think the idea came from talktalk, that by using web2mail that I could always have access to my emails irregardless of the isp's email problems and you are still using the same email address
tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 13:34   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Normal people call them days off Ian
Nope, I call it a day off when its time I should be at work and I'm not. This is that I work my full 2 weeks work in 9 days so I'm not due in. hence its a non working day. Sat and Sun are weekends.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..