Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2007, 15:17   #1
Senior Member+

BT Home Hub

As Above anyone use a BT Home Hub.

Just been sent one today and dont know if I should swap it instead of the Voyager 205 router I use now.

Also whats the score with WiFi, and the Hub phone that comes with it?

TIA
Old 23-02-2007, 15:31   #2
God Member

Re: BT Home Hub

Its Linux based so that should be enough reason to bin the voyager

If you aren't using wifi connections then disable it on the router or you could be open for people to piggyback on your connection.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 15:51   #3
I am Banned

I have a hub & use wifi

Its a good router better than the voyager Yeh just be aware with wifi as it defaults as open network, so make sure u check beforehand altho its quite confusing at times for configuring it for wifi. Its great wired wise but if not using wifi - disable it
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 16:16   #4
Senior Member+

Great so Its worth swapping over then.

Not sure on the Wireless, I could just hardwire it but It would be great to loose the wire going accross my door way, nearly killed me and the misses a few times.

If I did use the wireless, how would it affect my security? Is it just a case of the bandwidth could be leached/ used by a neighbour?

or sites I am vewing can be seen by others with the relevent software and maybe see Private information?

Mel, Whats the Score with WiFi, did you get the Hub Phone?, Something was mentioned to me about free calls or free WiFi mins.

Thanks.
Old 23-02-2007, 16:22   #5
Resting in Peace

I have the hub: however it works fine with the wireless if I am in the same room but if I try to take the lap top out then I get no or weak signal....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 16:53   #6
Resident Waffler

I was talking to someone a few days ago about the risks of people getting into your wifi and I must admit I hadn't thought of the possibility of them being able to access personal details and passwords etc - especially if you do online banking. Funnily enough there was a bit about it on the news at dinnertime.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 17:14   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Great so Its worth swapping over then.

Not sure on the Wireless, I could just hardwire it but It would be great to loose the wire going accross my door way, nearly killed me and the misses a few times.

If I did use the wireless, how would it affect my security? Is it just a case of the bandwidth could be leached/ used by a neighbour?

or sites I am vewing can be seen by others with the relevent software and maybe see Private information?

Mel, Whats the Score with WiFi, did you get the Hub Phone?, Something was mentioned to me about free calls or free WiFi mins.

Thanks.
Only if u go on option 3 do u get the hub phone or else it will cost u £49.99, i complained about the ad being misleading, as im option 2 i just got the wifi hub, btw option 1 isnt wireless hub. I use wifi for laptop, so have no idea about wifi calls as such. I can see tinks hub when i search for networks but i cant get in without wep or stuff, she's next door but one, even was in her house & just couldnt hook onto her wireless just like that!
Old 23-02-2007, 17:21   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Only if u go on option 3 do u get the hub phone or else it will cost u £49.99, i complained about the ad being misleading, as im option 2 i just got the wifi hub, btw option 1 isnt wireless hub. I use wifi for laptop, so have no idea about wifi calls as such. I can see tinks hub when i search for networks but i cant get in without wep or stuff, she's next door but one, even was in her house & just couldnt hook onto her wireless just like that!
Cheers for that.

Funnly I have been on option 3 for 18 months and when I complained about my internet speed (4 Phone calls about 2 hours of call time) they realised that I hadnt been upgraded at there end.

As a complain they sent me the Hub but said NO phone included. and wanted Fifty Quid for it, however it came today with the phone included.

My best mate also lives next door but 1 to me and I wouldnt mind if he could conect for free via his lap top.
Old 23-02-2007, 18:44   #9
God Member

Security wise if you enable WPA encryption they would need to borrow NASA and CIA supercomputers for a day or so to break the encryption so I would suggest that you are safe. If your firewall is correctly configured and you lock the router down to known MAC addresses then your PC is safe. Let be honest(and I made this comment in another thread) security is about the weakest link, in most cases thats the user either from social engineering or even something as simple as kicking your door in and taking the PC with them

Wifi range should certainly be graeter than just the same room magpie. I have been using wifi networks for ~5 years at home and teh old dears next door have been piggyback for most of that, that is ~100ft through 3 double nori brick walls and they still got medium strength.

Mr D, you mate can probably connect but it may be marginal depending on what type of house walls you have. You will of course have to give him the security settings and allow his MAC address

Old 23-02-2007, 22:19   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
If your firewall is correctly configured and you lock the router down to known MAC addresses then your PC is safe.
Do i need a flowchart or data flow diagram to understand that step by step
Old 23-02-2007, 22:29   #11
God Member

nope, if you know what I'm saying its dead easy. Just another example of people assuming that as 'users' they should know everything about using computers. This is Microsofts fault for giving you all a false sense of security by making stuff 'seem' easy. In reality, PCs and networks etc need people who know what is happening and what needs to be done. The problem is that people have got so used to doing stuff themselves that they now don't want to pay an expert to do stuff. In a comparison though they will still pay a mechanic to service their car...................

Old 23-02-2007, 22:33   #12
God Member

Yeah but come on entwisi, the prices that IT consultants etc. can and do charge, is it any wonder people try to take the cheap option and do it themselves. I wouldn't call a mechanic out to change a spare tyre
Old 24-02-2007, 08:15   #13
God Member

how installing an air bag? After all its core safety features we are talking about here.

A mechanic charges what, £25/hour, minimum 1 hour??? I'll work for that and I know a heck of a lot of others who will too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..