Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2014, 14:45   #16
Senior Member+

Re: BT Infinity

Had a phone call from BT this afternoon to say that they had a test on my line since Friday and had found a couple of hiccups and repaired them.Asked if I'd had problem since .So far so good ,infinity not dropping
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2014, 14:54   #17
Beacon of light

Glad you are sorted Frank.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 15:44   #18
Senior Member+

Nice you got sorted. Are you getting a refund for the lack in quality over the last few days.

The problem I had to dropouts with BT was simply being that every house surrounding me back then had the same BT hardware and wireless channels were constantly conflicting
Old 22-04-2014, 09:14   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Nice you got sorted. Are you getting a refund for the lack in quality over the last few days.

The problem I had to dropouts with BT was simply being that every house surrounding me back then had the same BT hardware and wireless channels were constantly conflicting
Geeky stuff warning!

Nothing to do with the same BT hardware because all Wifi routers use the same few overlapping channels so its all wifi hardware. Makes it worse when the router decides itself which channel to use and picks overlapping channels. There are really only 3 of the 11 (or 14 in you are a bad boy) channels you can use on G. This link will explain for the geeky types Why Channels 1, 6, and 11? | MetaGeek

This wiki page is also very good List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It gets worse when you are using N with a 40Mhz bandwidth.

Basically the wifi standard is stupid having 5Mhz centre spaced channels when G uses 20Mhz wide channels and N often uses 40Mhz wide channels so overlapping causes interference. You could be better on the same channel as your neighbours instead of overlapping a channel with them. Most routers now select the channel for you and don't take into account overlapping so often choose stupid channels like 2 or 5

Last edited by Neil; 22-04-2014 at 09:18.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 10:33   #20
Senior Member+

True but in this case all my neighbours had bt ssid's

I started using powerline adapters of which i can say are quite good
Old 24-04-2014, 06:02   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It doesn't matter whose make of router they are, usually just a lot of routers close together with poorly auto selected channels in use.
Restless likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..