Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 09:55   #1
God Member

damn it lol

how will i afford my internet now lol

just got a reminder from my internet provider

Quote:
Hi there members -

You're probably aware that in 2009 we've all been enjoying 15% VAT. The glory days. We hope you made the most of them because in January the VAT goes back up to 17.5%. Sadly, that will mean a slight increase in your monthly broadband bill. Our resident mathematicians have been hard at work calculating that the average increase will be around 38p a month (the exact amount depends on your package).
as they so kindly pointed out the GLORY days are coming to an end

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2009, 10:17   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: damn it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
how will i afford my internet now lol

just got a reminder from my internet provider

as they so kindly pointed out the GLORY days are coming to an end
Send the bill to Gordon accyman
Old 11-12-2009, 17:08   #3

Oh no, better cut back then.

I must cancel my 20mb connection & get a crappy 3mb one instead. lol
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 17:30   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Send the bill to Gordon accyman
Better send it to 'Hug a Hoodie Dave'. Wasn't VAT introduced under a Tory government?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 17:40   #5
JFT96

True, it was introduced in 1973, as part of the membership of the EEC.
VAT replaced Purchase Tax and reflected it as much as possible, as the intention was to ease it into the business community as simply as possible. This is a legacy we still have within the UK VAT system.

So In 1973 a Conservative Government Introduces VAT.
In 1966 a Labour Government introduces Purchase Tax.

Just a thought

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 17:51   #6
God Member

Just figured out that VAT is similar to our GST (Goods and Services Tax; or, if you prefer, Gouge and Screw Tax) .... that 17.5% sounds a tad high. Do you guys have to pay VAT on everything you buy?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 18:28   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just figured out that VAT is similar to our GST (Goods and Services Tax; or, if you prefer, Gouge and Screw Tax) .... that 17.5% sounds a tad high. Do you guys have to pay VAT on everything you buy?
each year the government examines our lungs and determins how much air we have breathed and charge us accordingly then add VAT to that as well.You can pay an estimated amout over a one year period but it has proven in most cases to be near impossible for families to get a rebate shoudl you die mid year.Then theres the pay as you go option but problems arose when people ran out of credit teh day before payday.

our country is awsome - at taxing teh crap out of people

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 11-12-2009 at 18:31.
Old 11-12-2009, 18:32   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Oh no, better cut back then.

I must cancel my 20mb connection & get a crappy 3mb one instead. lol

surely you dont need a 20mb connection to post the crap you do?

surely 56k dial up would surfice

j/k

Old 11-12-2009, 19:26   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
each year the government examines our lungs and determins how much air we have breathed and charge us accordingly then add VAT to that as well.You can pay an estimated amout over a one year period but it has proven in most cases to be near impossible for families to get a rebate shoudl you die mid year.Then theres the pay as you go option but problems arose when people ran out of credit teh day before payday.

our country is awsome - at taxing teh crap out of people
Ouch ... and we complain about the 5% GST It used to be 7%, but there have been two cuts over the past couple of years. There are also PSTs .... Provincial Sales Taxes .... but this is not on all items, and it differs from Province to Province ... Alberta doesn't have a PST. I seem to be able to claw back a lot of my PST on taxes .... and every quarter I get GST rebate cheques from the Feds. On the whole, it doesn't hurt that much. There is some talk of "harmonizing" the taxes so that folks in various parts of the country pay the same, but the govt. is up to its ass in scandals right now; so, that may be on hold.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:24   #10
God Member

Question for mods. Why has a thread about VAT been moved to Tech Talk?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 13:07   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Question for mods. Why has a thread about VAT been moved to Tech Talk?
Good question, struck me as odd.
Old 12-12-2009, 14:16   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Food is exempt Eric, as are children's clothes I think, you can also et exemption for medical equipment too if its for self use
Old 12-12-2009, 17:12   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Food is exempt Eric, as are children's clothes I think, you can also et exemption for medical equipment too if its for self use
Hot food isn't. Milk is but some other drinks are not exempt. No VAT on books either.
Old 12-12-2009, 17:15   #14
God Member

Some supermarkets show the items which have VAT added, in a separate list on the bill.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 19:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post

That's the bit I like...........loads of my clothes are kids ...see it can be handy being a shortass..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..