Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 19:17   #1

DG834G wireless network

After a bit of a struggle, I now have three machines linked to a DG834G wireless broadband router. All can access the internet.

My problem is that I cannot see the other machines on the LAN to share hard-disks and printer. I have entered these machines as trusted zones into Zone Alarm. Anything else that I should be doing?
Old 12-07-2007, 19:25   #2
God Member

Re: DG834G wireless network

Have you selected folders you want to share? right click folder/share option
Run the printer wizard, can't remember off hand what it goes through but its straight forward

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 22:43   #3
God Member

Are any Vista? XP and VIsta have problems talking to each other

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 22:37   #4

Yes Ian. One is Vista and two are XP. Is that significant?

The two XPs were wireless connected on an adhoc network and shared resources fine. Cannot even do that now. What I have noticed is that Windows Explorer is still showing the old network name under 'My Network Places' different from the SSID set on the network cards.

Regards,
Godfrey
Old 15-07-2007, 17:02   #5
God Member

There are many articles about how Vista has completely changed network sharing that makes it difficult to say the least to get it working reliably.

There is a patch I believe for XP that helps, a quick google should find it for you.

Microsoft also have an article here File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

TBH I find it amazing that a company that 'sells' its OS on the 'it just works' train of thought should change something so fundamental and then offer no wizard/help within the OS to get you up and running is pure icing on the cake.

I'd offer more help but TBH the more I see of Vista the more I REALLY don't want to get involved.

Perhaps I'm just getting older but I really can't be bothered to invest so much time that Vista seems to need to understand all its bugs. I'll concentrate on my first love more as I believe a lot of you will be joining me before long.

Old 17-07-2007, 14:01   #6

At this stage I would be quite happy to see just the two XPs sharing resources. Vista sees the internet ok.

Do you have any ideas on where to start or what diagnostics I could run?
Old 17-07-2007, 14:39   #7

I'm making progress now.

I looked at the MS webpage for Vista you suggested.

So I found out how to change the network name. I'm sure I have visited that screen before but not taken in its significance.

It's good to find someone to talk over the problem. Thanks Ian - the solution is in hand.
Old 24-07-2007, 22:49   #8

I thought I was making progress and indeed I sorted out the network name issue.

However my two XP machines on the network cannot see each other unless I shut down the two firewalls! Each firewall is set up with the trusted zones but when active the logs show from source/destination that trusted machines aren't trusting each other.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong in specifying trusted zone?

Thanks,
Godfrey
Old 25-07-2007, 06:47   #9
God Member

Is this Zone Alarm?

Old 25-07-2007, 08:46   #10

I have both Zone Alarm 7.0.337 and PC-cillin 2002.

I was thinking of replacing PC-cillin with Zone Alarm.

However I have to turn both firewalls off before network XPs can see each other.

Thanks,
Godfrey
Old 25-07-2007, 09:52   #11
God Member

in ZA I find you need to set trusted zone to off(Leave Internet zone as is though!!!). If you an be othered to find out what ports etc it uses you can probably just release these but most people turn it off. As you are behind your router you should be safe unless you start opening up all sorts of ports on it.

Never used PC-cillin so can't comment there.

Old 25-07-2007, 16:42   #12

Is the firewall function of the DG834 wireless network good enough then? I didn't get a feeling of confidence reading the manual.

Thanks,
Godfrey
Old 13-08-2007, 08:52   #13
Junior Member+

Check the settings on the router. on some wireless devices there is a setting to deny wireless devices from seeing each other. i had the same problem at work with a buffallo system
alexboy456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 09:52   #14
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Are any Vista? XP and VIsta have problems talking to each other
I have a contract out on the person that designedvista the company should hang their head in shame for inflicting so much pain on the pc world and they should stop selling something that will not work! It is as much use as a 'clockwork orange'. can you put xp on top of vista ? or do the problems stay inside? anyone who can sort mine out can have a hundred quid cash in hand even if it only takes 10 seconds
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 11:51   #15
God Member

Ianto,
let me know exactly what you want to do and I'll try my best to help you. There are underlying issues with sharing across xp and vista. If you just need to occasionally share files then there are other methods, if you want constantly accessible share then its a problem unless we add a file server in the mix. This can be something as simple as a Netgear Slug.

Ian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..