Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 22:07   #1

Exclamation email scam

This is an email sent to me. I did some research and found out it is a complete scam. so beware if your sent anything like this.

this email got me thinking, have any of you fell for any online scam?

Quote:
DEAR FRIEND,

MY NAME IS MRS.LARISA SOSNITSKAYA, PERSONAL SECRETARY TO MR.BORIS MIKHAIL HODORKOVSKY,THE ARRESTED CHAIRMAN/CEO OF YUKOS OIL AND BANK MENATEP SPB IN RUSSIA WHO IS PRESENTLY IN JAIL.

I HAVE THE DOCUMENTS OF A LARGE AMOUNT OF FUNDS WHICH HE HANDED OVER TO ME BEFORE HE WAS DETAINED AND TRIED IN RUSSIA FOR FINANCING POLITICAL PARTIES AND NOT PAYING TAXES (THE UNION OF RIGHT FORCES, LED BY BORIS NEMTSOV AND YABLOKO, A LIBERAL/SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY LED BY GREGOR YAVLINSKY) OPPOSED TO THE GOVERNMENT OF MR. VLADMIR PUTIN,THE PRESIDENT THEREBY LEADING TO THE FREEZING OF HIS FINANCES AND ASSETS.

AFTER SEARCHING THROUGH THE BOOKS OF YOUR COUNTRY'S CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRIES HERE IN RUSSIA I AM CONTACTING YOU TO ASSIST ME TO RE-PROFILE THE FUNDS AND EQUALLY INVEST SAME ON HIS BEHALF.

THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF FUNDS TO BE RE-PROFILLED IS FORTY SIX MILLION DOLLARS (USD$46,000,000.00) AND YOU WILL BE PAID 20% FOR YOUR MANAGEMENT SERVICES.

AS SOON AS I RECEIVE YOUR ACCEPTANCE IN MY PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS THUS:
[email protected] I WILL SEND YOU THE NECESSARY DETAILS AND MY IDENTIFICATION.

YOURS SINCERELY,

MRS.LARISA SOSNITSKAYA.

NOTE THAT ANY RESPONSE TO THIS EMAIL WILL NOT BE APPRECIATED OR ANSWERED PLEASE WRITE ME VIA MY PERSONAL EMAIL ADRRESS THUS:
[email protected] FOR FUTURE CORRESPONDENCE.

NB: YOU CAN READ MORE OF THIS DEAL FROM:
http://newsfromrussia.com/main/2005/03/29/58914.html
http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/politics/28.html?id_issue261041
http://www.supportmbk.com
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Mikhail-Khodorkovsky
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2006, 01:04   #2
God Member

Re: email scam

no, but I've recieved a letter that was asking me to send 180 quid to register to keep my customers names on my pc, data protection. Utter rubbish, I read it, then though no government department, so reread it, and reread it again, thought this seems dodgey, I ain't payin that, I'll wait for another demand see what that says. It was then featured in the press, some people had of course fallen for it, and paid.
Got an ebay email, despite entwisi saying it cant be convincing, I think it was cos it had all the links working and ebay picture in the right place.I knew it wasn't real but my brother fell for one like that. they get asked to enter their password and don't think, they just go on to auto pilot.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Madhatter; 12-07-2006 at 17:43.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:19   #3

i sent a reply to the scam,asking who they are and how the got my email.
This is what they sent me.

Quote:
Dear Kashif Javaid,

Thank you very much for your response, and your interest in this transaction. It became necessary for me to seek your assistance. I appreciate the fact that you are ready to assist me in executing this project, and also to help me in investing my money in your country (if need be).

This is to inform you that the funds in question are presently in an escrow account with a reputable and secure Bank in Europe. All you need to do is for you to open an offshore account with the Bank. As soon as you are able to do that I will transfer the funds from the escrow account to the account you will open with your name as the beneficiary because I have all secret and access codes to this account in question. As soon as I deposit the funds in your account you can start withdrawing the funds bit by bit to your other accounts for onward investment in any investment we will agree on. You should not have anything to worry about. I will do everything legally required to ensure that the project goes smoothly, it shall pass through all Laws of International Banking.

Having resolved to entrust this transaction into your hands, I want to remind you that, it needs your commitment and diligent follow up. If you work seriously the entire transaction should be over in a couple of days or a week.

READ THE FOLLOWING AND GET BACK TO ME:

Firstly, I will want to know the type of occupation that you do and how old you are. You should note that this project is highly capital intensive. This is why I have to be very careful. I need your total devotion and trust to see this through. I know we have not met before, but I am very confident that we will be able to establish the necessary trust that we need to execute this project.

Before I commence, I will need you to send me a copy of any form your identification (Driver's license or International passport) and your current address. I want to be sure that I am transacting with the correct person. As soon as I get these from you, I will commence the paper work.

Please reconfirm details below:

(i) Name of Beneficiary
(ii) Beneficiary's Address.
(iii) Contact Telephone and Fax numbers

I hope you will understand why I need all these. The money in question is big and I want to ensure that I know you well before I proceed to give you all the other details to commence the project.I will send the name and contact details of the bank and their website to you so that you can commence communication with them.

As soon as I get the required details from you as listed above, i am going to ask my attorney to draft an agreement letter which i will send to you to sign. Since you will stand as a contractor with Yukos Oil, I will also send to you a document that will put you in place as a contractor with Yukos Oil. It is this document that you will use to cover the funds. As the authority may/might ask you the origin and source of funds .If you are ready to open the account let me know so that i will forward the Bank information to you. As soon as i am through with the document, I will send them to you.

I want you to see yourself as partner in this transaction, as i have perfected all modalities to actualize this transaction.

I await your email.

Regards,

Larisa.

NB: Find my attached ID for your perusal. I will advice that we keep third parties out of this transaction for now. Pending the time we are able to secure the funds in your account for onward investment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 19:42   #4
God Member

Congratulations, prepare yourself for loads of spam. they will sell your email address onto teh real spam merchants as a known responder. You should of course do absolutely nothing more with this scam unless you want to get pulled into the scam. (it will start as 'we need $XXX to cover admin charges' etc)

PS, why is it people find entwisi so difficult to spell? I seem to get called all sorts of stuff except entwisi.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:01   #5
Senior Member+

i have had numerous emails like this one and i ignored them all!!
Old 10-07-2006, 15:34   #6
Resident Waffler

Have any of you read the scambaiters forum? Some of those people spend hours just wining these scammers up and stringng them along. At least it keeps them occupied for a while and out of other people's hair temporarily.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 15:50   #7
God Member

You had to investigate it ? its years old ... I guess theres one born every minute but really... someone offering you millions for nothing out of the blue... come on... your not safe to use email if you dont throw stuff like that straight in the bin... as for warning everyone else.. thats as good as calling us all stupid..

Sorry but....
Old 10-07-2006, 16:56   #8
Resident Waffler

Some of us are older than others and some of us have been on t'net a lot longer than others but these things keep going the rounds because there's always someone young, new and naive who may just fall for it.

A few weeks ago Busman got an email offering to sell him some magnificent bargain "identical to genuine" in other words a fake, but I wonder how many people fall for those too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 19:54   #9
mez
God Member

ive had quite a few of these e-mails just delete them ....i don't even open them ...get them in the bin.
Old 12-07-2006, 17:46   #10
God Member

They'll bleed you dry of your cash, then promise if you pay just this much more to cover their expenses they promise they'll get your cash back. Some people have been conned out of tens of thousands by these schemes.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..