Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 19:19   #1

Facebook asking for credit card to log in

Just tried to log in to facebook on my other laptop and it says it needs a credit card to log in to verify the account, but can log in on this laptop without a problem, must be some sort of virus I have a updated antivirus running but nothing was detected, so please beware if it happens to you and don't give them your details as it is a scam.

Just thought I better warn people

Thanks
sean2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2011, 08:41   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Facebook asking for credit card to log in

You should look at the web address in the address bar, I suspect you will not be on the genuine facebook website. It might look exactly like the facebook sign in page but it will be a scam page. Might be nice if you do a screen print of that page and post it as a picture so others can see how convincing it looks.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

a scam of over a year old.

FACEBOOK ASKING FOR CREDIT CARD OR MOBILE PHONE INFO? - Yahoo! Answers
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36   #4

the address showing up is https//www.facebook.com/home.php?secureverification, and it is showing as it is digitally certified to facebook when you click on the padlock, scanned the laptop with multiple virus scanners and used the online ones and it is finding no infections, I could tell it was a scam instantly the logo is not filled in fully blue and the layout is not layed out correctly will try and get a screen grab off the laptop later on today

Last edited by Mick; 02-09-2011 at 13:02.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

it is a old scam, but it has resurfaced again, and been redesigned to be more effective, and thought it would be better to warn people, not everyone has been using a computer for over a year to know this so if posting it stops one person being ripped off it was worth it
Old 02-09-2011, 13:03   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2008 View Post
the address showing up is https//www.facebook.com/home.php?secureverification, and it is showing as it is digitally certified to facebook when you click on the padlock, scanned the laptop with multiple virus scanners and used the online ones and it is finding no infections, I could tell it was a scam instantly the logo is not filled in fully blue and the layout is not layed out correctly will try and get a screen grab off the laptop later on today
I have edited this post so the link does not work if it is a problem we dont want members getting viruses.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 00:57   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2008 View Post
it is a old scam, but it has resurfaced again, and been redesigned to be more effective, and thought it would be better to warn people, not everyone has been using a computer for over a year to know this so if posting it stops one person being ripped off it was worth it
An old scam?..I can't work out how anyone who has gone through the proccess of getting a credit card can in any way be stupid enough to give those details to "facebook".. grow up and get real.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
An old scam?..I can't work out how anyone who has gone through the proccess of getting a credit card can in any way be stupid enough to give those details to "facebook".. grow up and get real.
If people didn't fall for the scams people wouldn't create them, start living in the real world.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Sean is only trying to help people but all he gets in return is insults. Someone else should grow up!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:22   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Sean is only trying to help people but all he gets in return is insults. Someone else should grow up!
Do let it bother you Michael he'll sober up in the morning

Hopefully
Old 03-09-2011, 10:31   #11
Beacon of light

I don't think it is bad for someone to post a warning about scams whether they be old or new...they are out t here because the crims know that not everyone knows about the scams...we need to be reminded to look after our security from time to time......my way is not to belong to social networking sites...other than Accyweb(is Accyweb a social networking site?)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think it is bad for someone to post a warning about scams whether they be old or new...they are out t here because the crims know that not everyone knows about the scams...we need to be reminded to look after our security from time to time......my way is not to belong to social networking sites...other than Accyweb(is Accyweb a social networking site?)

Neither do I, I mentioned the age of it as reassurrance not criticism and put the link to provide further information.

Turns out the thread starter isn't a computer newbie after all, so it's a shame he didn't give further information in his first post, which it now seems he was capable of doing.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 14:27   #13
Beacon of light

Less, I wasn't getting at you (as if I would ).....I was just agreeing that pointing out something that could be a hazard to someone, is never a bad thing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..