Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 12:54   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Fake tax emails....BEWARE!!

People are getting scam emails promising tax rebates............
Fake Tax Emails: Britain Being Flooded With Phishing Scams Warns HM Revenue And Customs | UK News | Sky News

I for one never reply to emails especially when it comes to money!!
Old 08-01-2009, 13:09   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Fake tax emails....BEWARE!!

anything to do with tax
payment or rebate i leave well alone
my accountant does that, at least he says he does

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 17:44   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

We had a similar thread about a year ago and I'll say again what I said then. HMRC does not email anyone about repayments and never has.

No reputable organisation ever asks for bank account details by email and anyone who still doesn't believe this needs a very strong reality check.
Old 08-01-2009, 19:54   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
We had a similar thread about a year ago and I'll say again what I said then. HMRC does not email anyone about repayments and never has.

No reputable organisation ever asks for bank account details by email and anyone who still doesn't believe this needs a very strong reality check.

How very true. Though if someone is daft enough to answer with their details despite all warnings deserve the outcome they are landed with.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 21:15   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

only problem with that,is some elderly people who were not "Brought Up" understanding computers n have no experience of the internet can be fooled easy with these. i was a total numpty when i first started on the net, luckily i got away without falling fer these scams, i aint exactly " Bamber Gascoingne" now, so the more warnings the better of these things i reckon.
Old 08-01-2009, 21:26   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
only problem with that,is some elderly people who were not "Brought Up" understanding computers n have no experience of the internet can be fooled easy with these. i was a total numpty when i first started on the net, luckily i got away without falling fer these scams, i aint exactly " Bamber Gascoingne" now, so the more warnings the better of these things i reckon.
Hey Cashy...this one was....try to get a bob out of me is nigh impossible.
The only one I trust is my better half and she has to provide a password .

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 21:32   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

I don't buy this "poor old people haven't a clue" thing. Elderly is not synonymous with stupid. Most older people who have access to the internet also have access to the hundreds of warnings about this sort of scam. Those who fall for it, if they are "senior citizens", were most likely just as dim when they were a great deal younger. And, yeah, I'm 66 in 10 days time - and I've still got my marbles!
Old 08-01-2009, 21:56   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I don't buy this "poor old people haven't a clue" thing. Elderly is not synonymous with stupid. Most older people who have access to the internet also have access to the hundreds of warnings about this sort of scam. Those who fall for it, if they are "senior citizens", were most likely just as dim when they were a great deal younger. And, yeah, I'm 66 in 10 days time - and I've still got my marbles!
look i said "some" not all, and i was very dim with computers etc, but object very much to you saying most likely just as dim when younger, cos i certainly was not. still am not too bright with computers, am honest enough to say so.
Old 08-01-2009, 22:10   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

For heaven's sake, Cashy, I meant dim as in "too dim to spot a scam", not "too dim to fathom a computer", and I think what I said made that very clear. Lots of people aren't very good with modern technology but it doesn't make them idiots and nor does getting older.
Old 08-01-2009, 22:24   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
For heaven's sake, Cashy, I meant dim as in "too dim to spot a scam", not "too dim to fathom a computer", and I think what I said made that very clear. Lots of people aren't very good with modern technology but it doesn't make them idiots and nor does getting older.
think were on opposite waves here, i think like the fake e-mails from banks etc, some folk "Trust" banks etc n have no comprehension that its fake if it comes from HSBC or Abbey etc, i certainly was not cos i trust no-one, but i can understand how some are suckered n don't regard em as dim. just trusting.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13   #11

Young or old, dim or bright, anyone can get scammed.

There, that should stop you two

It should be written on the front of all monitors, "if your bank needs information from you, they will write" lol
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..