Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2009, 12:28   #1
I am Banned

Firewall

I've put this in general chat to reach a wider audience.
For some time now whilst clicking on links provided by posters on Accy Web, my firewall lights up and freezes any further surfing till check the log.
It now turns out to be whosi.uwhois.
Found there site at
www.ngssoftware.com/

I found the site thro Dogpile, but when I type in the URL it doesn't work.
Seems they are a firm of nosy beggars operating a passive spying business.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-12-2009 at 12:32.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-12-2009, 17:15   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Firewall

are these links from regular members or 1st post spammers?
Old 22-12-2009, 18:08   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
are these links from regular members or 1st post spammers?
No, if a member provided a link to another site, for members to view something interesting or controversial, within a couple of minutes my firewall starts flashing and the log shows seroius assault.
When I visit the British Military Badge site, Commonwealth War Graves, Western Front Assoc:
Canadian Expeditionary Force or the National Archives, I don't hve any problems.

Retlaw
Old 22-12-2009, 19:05   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

What firewall are you using?
Could you provide an example of such a link so that others can have a look?
Old 22-12-2009, 22:06   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
What firewall are you using?
Could you provide an example of such a link so that others can have a look?
The one I use is System Suite, I don't trust gill bates's constant upgrades after the horse has bolted & norton stir their tea with the same spoon as microsoft.

The site that keeps trying to get thro my firewall is

www.ngssoftware.com

Retlaw.
Old 22-12-2009, 22:33   #6

Sorry for jumpin in unanounced but I would seriously suggest trying another firewall.."COMODO FIREWALL" is excellent and its also free....
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 11:53   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngleIron View Post
Sorry for jumpin in unanounced but I would seriously suggest trying another firewall.."COMODO FIREWALL" is excellent and its also free....
Why should I change my Firewall, its working OK and blocking the spyware, which is what they are supposed to do.

Retlaw.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:31   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have never found myself on the page you linked by following a link from a post on here. Are you sure it is from an AccyWeb link and there is nothing else going on with your PC?
Old 23-12-2009, 13:05   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
I have never found myself on the page you linked by following a link from a post on here. Are you sure it is from an AccyWeb link and there is nothing else going on with your PC?
Hi Neil.

Sorry if I've mislead you, it does'nt take you to that page by following a link.
When I follow links to other sites sometimes my firewall lights up and it freezes any more internet sites, I get page not available. After I've checked the log surfing is back to normal.
I then double click on the firewall and it show a log of attacks, then if you query the log it shows who the attacker was.
It always comes up with
www.ngssoftware.com

Retlaw.
Old 23-12-2009, 14:17   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I thought you had been having problems from links on AccyWeb - its Christmas and I must have been drinking too much, I don't remember doing it though

Its odd that its always that same site though. Thats why I wondered if something on your PC keeps redirecting you to the same site.

Have you tried scanning your PC for spyware?
Old 23-12-2009, 14:51   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
I thought you had been having problems from links on AccyWeb - its Christmas and I must have been drinking too much, I don't remember doing it though

Its odd that its always that same site though. They must operate thro a lot of web sites in diguise. Thats why I wondered if something on your PC keeps redirecting you to the same site.

Have you tried scanning your PC for spyware?
Theres nothing wrong with the PC, the Firewall is doing its job and blocking the spyware.

Have you read what that firm does on their site, collecting info from other computers, it seems like they operate thro a lot of websites, trying to gather info, so far my firewall has blocked them, but how many Accy Webbers know if their computer has blocked them.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-12-2009 at 14:54.
Old 23-12-2009, 15:21   #12

First of all, keep the firewall you are using. Second, I was just trying to be helpfull. Third, A firewall performs different tasks than spyware, malware etc..... The messages you are getting are more than likely "False Positives" which are intended to scare you into buying their software. Neil is right in suggesting that you may have a nasty piece of spyware embeded on your system, did you download any trial software from the site? Good luck
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 19:09   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngleIron View Post
First of all, keep the firewall you are using. Second, I was just trying to be helpfull. Third, A firewall performs different tasks than spyware, malware etc..... The messages you are getting are more than likely "False Positives" which are intended to scare you into buying their software. Neil is right in suggesting that you may have a nasty piece of spyware embeded on your system, did you download any trial software from the site? Good luck
No I don't download trial software, I don't have any spyware embedded in the system, but I would have if my firewall did'nt keep blocking them, I let Systemsuite monitor the computer, thats why the firewall lights up when they try to access my PC.
I run virus checks and malware checks every few days just to make sure.

Have a look at their site, why would they need to keep trying to access my computer, unless as you say they run another site to frighten people into buying their stuff.
www.ngssoftware.com
my firewall log search shows them as
whois.uwhois, but a search engine finds them as ngssoftware.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-12-2009 at 19:14.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..