Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2006, 19:25   #1
Always EVIL within us

Goodbye to Google

I have just received a news letter concerning the Google search engine, apparently, it is about to be defunct and is changing its name to Searchmash which is already up and running Check it out

Info is below as sent to me

The basic idea is the same. There is a text box in which you type in your query and press Enter. Notice there’s no “I am feeling lucky” button anymore. Once the results come up, to start with, you won’t see all those adsense ads that cram up toward the right when you search for something on Google. This page is totally ad free. Secondly, this is quite an improvement over the Google search engine. A search in SearchMash won’t bring up tons of irrelevant results like it happens in Google, especially for searches with longer queries. The good thing for tenured Google users is that the syntax and the way of Googling works the same on SearchMash. You can use wildcards, quotes plus signs and the other operators that you presently use to customize your Google searches.

As you can see, it goes along with the tried and trusted Google search results format. Click on the link that says "Hide Details" and it will hide all the text in an instant, showing you only the links and the Web sites from where the links are originating. This is really cool, especially if you know the exact Web site you are looking for. Since the link and the Web site addresses are color coded, it’s even easier to go through the page in a jiffy.

Now, one feature I really love about SearchMash is the little panel to the right. Remember those tabs up on top of the Google search box? Yes, the ones that let you search the images and new Google groups, etc. Well, the same functionality is presented here too, however, it's in a different, much more friendlier format.

As you can see, along with the regular search results that were pulled up, there is also a small panel where you can see other related material. For instance, if you click on the plus sign next to the images, another small panel will drop down with pictures related to your search query, which in this case was “Goo Goo Dolls” (the band). Similarly, if you click on the plus sign next to the blogs, you will be presented with links to some blogs whose primary content is about the Goo Goo Dolls. I clicked on the plus sign next to videos and it showed me a screenshot from the videos, which also links to that particular video. To see more video results about the search query you put in, you can click on the “See Video Results” link. Another cool thing about this panel is the Wikipedia link. It shows you all of the Wikipedia pages related to your search query. Is that cool or what?! You don’t need to click on another tab or wait for a new page to load. Simply click on the plus sign and you'll see instant results.

Since this is a new venture from Google and it is in its test stages, you can also give your feedback on its performance. At the bottom right, there’s another panel where you can give a positive or a negative feedback to the efficiency of this system. This is beneficial to Google, as it will help them develop SearchMash into an even better finished product.

As much as I love Google, I am truly enjoying this new search engine and the new, much more friendly format. I can’t wait for Google to unveil the final product. Until then, go give it a spin. Maybe you’ll love it as much as I do!
Old 19-12-2006, 08:00   #2
God Member

Re: Goodbye to Google

seems its only ever going to be a sandpit where Google can test new 'interfaces'

I would guess that if it gains too much popularity it will be pulled as teh whole Google financial model works on ads. They would be upsetting all teh advertisers if they offer an ad free alternative.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 09:13   #3
Resident Waffler

So are you saying Google will continue to exist Ian?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 15:24   #4

Overview of Google's SearchMash Test Site with Q&A: SearchEngineWatch

Last edited by jamesicus; 19-12-2006 at 15:26.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 17:51   #5

Hrmm, I'm thinking this isn't made by google... another website trying to get more customers more like :S
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 18:03   #6
God Member

Correct Willow, Google will continue as is, as for SAMF, that was my first thought but it does seem it is Google that is trying out new stuff(as confirmed by the link Jamesicus posted that I found when I posted my reply). Its been long mooted that Googles algorithmn is its best and worst feature. It can be manipulated and given their whole revenue model is ad based thats not good news.

Hopefully they will get better at filtering out all teh "Buy XXX at blah.com" type hits that are just links in other search engines.

Old 13-01-2007, 15:02   #7

eww.. i dont like that seachmash one. Very basic design. I prefer google as it has pics and news and language tools lol
Alec
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 17:54   #8
Resident Waffler

I think I'm just one of those people who likes what they get used to and I like Google.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 22:53   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAlec View Post
eww.. i dont like that seachmash one. Very basic design. I prefer google as it has pics and news and language tools lol
Alec
Whole point of it, its a cut down 'fast' playground.

Probably suited for more techy people

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..