Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2011, 13:45   #1
Junior Member+

HMRC refund emails

I just thought I'd pass on a bit of knowledge to you all that you may be interested to know.

If you get an email from HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs AKA The tax office) it will always, and I mean always be a hoax.

I used to work for HMRC (and have friends who still do) and they do not use emails to contact people. They hardly use email at all - they are about 10 years behind in technology)

The emails look very genuine even to me but will never be - they don't use terminology such as 'fiscal year' which the emails do.

HM Revenue & Customs: HM Revenue & Customs related phishing examples (I hope that link works)

If you get any email you should forward it (without opening) to [email protected]

If I can stop one person being caught out then the post was worth it. You may want to tell any elderly relatives who use the internet/email as they may fall for the scam.
willdinnerguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-05-2011, 14:11   #2
Beacon of light

Re: HMRC refund emails

I always assume that these are fake.......and they all go to the same place....file 13!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 15:24   #3
Senior Member+

I've had a few of these, but luckily knew they were fake (not paid tax in a few years so clearly havnt overpaid them) but the ex nearly fell for it and rang me (he is self employed) reminded him they dont have his email as a contact anyway but people can easily be fooled, even those who think are quite well up on these things, its always nice to get a warning to incase
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 18:21   #4
Senior Member+

It's a pity a lot more people don't think like we do, that way it would save them a lot of heartache later. I suppose you, like me, get emails from the bank saying that after the computer crash they need to update your records and need your bank account details. If I get any emails from a so called bank I don't even open them, just click the delete key.

I will keep my eye open for one from the tax man (with a mask on) and certainly forward it to the link you suggest.
Old 29-05-2011, 19:44   #5
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I always assume that these are fake.......and they all go to the same place....file 13!
Glad to hear it Margaret. You may be surprised at how many people think they are real - especially self employed people.
Old 29-05-2011, 19:47   #6
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I suppose you, like me, get emails from the bank saying that they need to update your records and need your bank account details.
Yeas - there are usually from banks that I don't (and never had) even have an account with??!!??
Old 29-05-2011, 21:19   #7
Beacon of light

I reckon that most of it is wishful thinking.
It is a bit like when someone rings me up to tell me I have won a fabulous all expenses paid Holiday.
I always ask 'How?....... because I haven't entered any competition'........yes, I might be past the flush of youth, but I can still use the old grey matter.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 21:22   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I reckon that most of it is wishful thinking.
It is a bit like when someone rings me up to tell me I have won a fabulous all expenses paid Holiday.
I always ask 'How?....... because I haven't entered any competition'........yes, I might be past the flush of youth, but I can still use the old grey matter.
oh i used to get loads of them, till i started leaving phone n goin in other room, seems to have stopped now.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:15   #9

The benefit of multiple email addresses. Use one for "official" business, one for friends and family, and one for mailing lists and public posts. Fakes coming into the latter two addresses are easily identified without even opening them.

Although HMRC don't use email, it might be an idea to use a fourth address for government-related communications. Sony and one or two other organisations have had high-profile losses of personal data, but the government has done it repeatedly. Any moderately plausible email from a non-government organisation to this address may be spam, but also indicates another loss from a laptop or memory stick.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 08:27   #10
Resting in Peace

Think the yard stick is if it looks to good to be true, it is
Old 31-05-2011, 11:20   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin
If I get any emails from a so called bank I don't even open them, just click the delete key.
If anyone gets e-mails purporting to be from a bank here's the place to forward them:

Bank Safe Online

1. Forwarding your suspect email
Open the suspect email, click the forward button, and send it to the following email address: [email protected]

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 17:24   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
If anyone gets e-mails purporting to be from a bank here's the place to forward them:

Bank Safe Online

1. Forwarding your suspect email
Open the suspect email, click the forward button, and send it to the following email address: [email protected]
Thanks for that yerself its very handy as I'm always getting these flaming emails

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..