Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2007, 13:16   #1

Info Please about Skye Broadband

Any information would be appreciated regarding any aspect of using Skye Broadband and the associated Emailing system. Have been talking to the reps in the Arndale and am considering one of the packages. Bert.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2007, 13:31   #2
God Member

Re: Info Please about Skye Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bert View Post
Any information would be appreciated regarding any aspect of using Skye Broadband and the associated Emailing system. Have been talking to the reps in the Arndale and am considering one of the packages. Bert.

Only thing I have heard is that the internet access is good but the e-mail system is flaky and you can't get access a lot of the time. Doesn't matter of course if you use something like googlemail or yahoo for your main mail system.

Considering it myself.
Old 24-02-2007, 16:33   #3
God Member

or you can pay for a proper emai service from people like 1and1 or uk2. Las time I looked it was 69p/month for your email accounts and £1.99 for a domain name for 2 years.

I know of a couple of people on Sky, seems fine for normal use and if you are already paying for your sky you may as well get it for nowt(unless like me you get it free from someone else like Orange)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 18:48   #4
g78

We have just literally got Sky Broadband, as mentioned above we get Sky so might as well get the broadband as well.
Seems ok so far, though have to admit they did mess us about when it came to actually getting the software and router etc.
Took just under 4 weeks in total from when we first rang them, and just under 5 for it to be up and running .... so the customer service bit was a bit pants, but the speed etc seems ok. So fingers crossed.
Old 02-04-2007, 14:22   #5

Hi,
We have sky broadband and it took just under two weeks to order and have it up and running, not had any problems at all so cant fault it, email you can set your sky email up through outlook so have no problems with it!

Tracey

'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
Traceyb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:30   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

read about sky, thinking of going on meself for 10 quid its a bargin, but sounds to good to be true!!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:55   #7

friend of mine told me he had it for a couple of months but found it slow compered to bt he as given 30 days notice and is going back onto bt home hub.he does down load lots of films .i have never tried it myself
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17   #8
God Member

Some ISP's are applying profiling to your download speeds for stuff like P2P(bittorrent, etc) so that they don't flood the network

Old 04-04-2007, 09:35   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Some ISP's are applying profiling to your download speeds for stuff like P2P(bittorrent, etc) so that they don't flood the network
I think that is very naughty of them. It would be like giving you poor sound quality if you used your free phone calls too much.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04   #10
God Member

naughty but they will claim its to provide a 'fairer' share of resources across its customer base. It all depends if it in teh T&Cs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..