Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 07:25   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Wink Internet Explorer is not really a virus.

I recently made a comment that Internet Explorer is a virus. This quickly prompted someone - who will remain nameless - to try to uninstall it.

I would like to state that Internet Explorer is not really a virus - it just becomes one after you surf the net for more than 5 minutes.

It is not a good idea to try and remove Internet Explorer. Microsoft have made it that much of an integral part of Windows XP that several other programs require bits of it to work.

So a piece of advice would be NOT to try and remove Internet Explorer. Just don't use it unless you have to for Windows Updates and a few poorly written websites that only work correctly in it.

Do yourselves a favour and try one of the other popular browsers like Opera, Firefox or Google Chrome.

For those that are not sure a browser is the program that lets you view a website. Google is not a browser - it is a search engine.

I even know someone who thinks that Google is the internet and types web addresses into Google and then clicks on the results of the search I won't mention her name, she has an account on here but I don't think she comes on much
Old 04-01-2009, 07:32   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Internet Explorer is not really a virus.

Nice one Neil
I like Opera but use IE7 but IE8 is now being Beta tested and will be out soon
I think its just what browser suits the user
try a few and pick one you like .
If someone picks FireFox they will say that's the best browser or if they pick Opera they will say that's the best and it probably is TO THEM its just preference

Last edited by Mick; 04-01-2009 at 07:39.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I agree with the personal preference thing Mick. Just don't use Internet Explorer unless you are an expert at keeping all you anti virus, anti spam, anti malware, anti spyware, anti popup software up to date and fully functional. Its just asking for trouble.

Firefox is so much like Internet Explorer 6 that it is an easy swap for most people. Some don't even notice they have changed over.

I don't like IE7 personally as the menu bar is in the wrong place, windows programs have the menu bar at the top of the window so why have they messed around with IE? Also the buttons are all over the place, some on the left and some on the right.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55   #4
God Member

Now who would go and do a thing like that after I told royboy his comment in another thread was unjust? lol
Old 04-01-2009, 13:13   #5
God Member

IE is a pain in the Arthur but as Mick said it has roots in other bits of XP and makes things awkward if removed. I am one of those that has a couple of browsers and always have and always will. I look at it this way if ones goes south at least you still have another to use simple as that. IE attracts viruses like a dodgy off licence attracts under age drinkers. I even had the mac browser for a while but found it too basic almost like the old Netscape 4 set up.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 13:34   #6
God Member

Ok as if I need to I will fess up it was me who tried to remove Internet Explorer(as if you didn't know) Thanks to Mick rescuing me it is sorted now
Old 04-01-2009, 13:44   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Shhh you will start me off laughing again, I almost injured myself this morning when I fell of the sofa

I was not going to say who it was, I can keep a secret.

You really should stop using IE. You have already had a problem with those pop ups which could well have been caused by spyware/malware.
Old 04-01-2009, 13:54   #8
God Member

Oh no!! here we go again.... NEXT!
Old 04-01-2009, 13:55   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Shhh you will start me off laughing again, I almost injured myself this morning when I fell of the sofa

I was not going to say who it was, I can keep a secret.

You really should stop using IE. You have already had a problem with those pop ups which could well have been caused by spyware/malware.
I have both IE and Firefox installed.
I run free SpyBot Search and Destroy.When I have used IE it usually finds something dodgy.
The same happens when I do an AVG scan - some 'warnings' to be got rid of

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 15:03   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have both IE and Firefox installed.
Do you use IE? If so is it for a particular site?
Old 04-01-2009, 15:13   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you use IE? If so is it for a particular site?
I have to use it to access Microsoft Download centre for updates - I have a Microsoft webcam.

I sometimes use it when I want to access Accyweb whilst logged out - for lurking, because I have Accyweb as my homepage on Firefox (I know - I'm a saddo) and never log out there... saves me the trouble of logging out and in again

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:45   #12
Resting in Peace

Neil one of the other problems that Bernie had was NO firewall running so stuff was getting through easy thats the main reason she was getting the popups
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:56   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Firewalls are ok if you know what you are doing. The problem is when it asks if you want to let so and so do such and such - how do you answer if you are not knowledgeable in those things?

Does she use a modem or router? I think all USB ADSL modems should be burnt at the stake ( for windows users )
Old 04-01-2009, 22:07   #14
God Member

I have a router from Sky

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..