Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 17:04   #1
Junior Member+

Internet Speed

is anyone else having a problem with slow internet. my router syncs @ 17mb but i only download at 4mb. has anyone else had this problem. i am with bethere broadband adsl2+
alexboy456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2007, 17:11   #2

Re: Internet Speed

Obviously they're not there when u need em!
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 17:21   #3

here's abit of advice, GET SKY!!!

Sky packages - Sky TV, Sky Talk and Sky Broadband

check our their great deal.
telephone line, sky tv packages and 8meg broadband [with unlimited downloads]

all for 35 quid a month.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 21:11   #4
God Member

only one problem liam he wont get 17 meg conn. what sort of download are you talking about? they may be bandwidth shaping .

posted from my wii!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 21:53   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
telephone line, sky tv packages and 8meg broadband [with unlimited downloads]
No such thing as unlimited...
Old 10-08-2007, 22:34   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
posted from my wii!
Why would you want too?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:09   #7

you get unlimited downloads. i dont mean download speed. you get a fare usage policy which is 40gb a month. i never use the 40gb in one month and i dont think anyone else would. if you go to the extreme and use like 100gb obviosuly theyll notice and cap your bandwidth for afew days. but its unlimited meaning you dont get charged for downloading after a certain gb. theres no limit basically but all they ask you is you dont abuse it.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:38   #8
God Member

Quote:
you get unlimited downloads. i dont mean download speed.
I know exactly what you mean and theres still no such thing as unlimited..

Quote:
you get a fare usage policy which is 40gb a month. i never use the 40gb in one month and i dont think anyone else would.
thats a dozen films.. I know people who use a lot more... but thats not the point.. the point is..

How is 40gb limit....unlimited ????

Quote:
theres no limit basically but all they ask you is you dont abuse it.
Thats you conned then....
A film is 4gb. If you spend all month downloading one film after another... how many gig is that and what do you think will happen.... if they stop your service for a few days as you think.. how is that unlimited?

There really is no such thing as unlimited... I am off to wycombe now.. take some time to figure it out.. google.. ask yer mates... Try to find me anyhting in life or in the world that is unlimited.... you have 14 hrs...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:08   #9

4gb films? where you downloading films? every film i download is on average 700mb. if your wasting 4gb on one film then i can advise you where to get them.

last month i downloaded rougly 60gb and uploaded around 40gb to various torrent sites. i checked my statistics on bitlord for that by the way. so thats 100gb bandwidth in 1 month. you should try their service before knocking it

check sky's terms and condition's. they have different packages, some have 40gb download limit and some have unlimited. they only have the fair usage policy to watch their backs incase you get people running like 5 pc's in one home and downloading/uploading 100's of gb each month. if you read their term's and conditions it also states that in one area everyones bandwidth is affected. so if you live in a street where 20 people have sky broadband the chances of your bandwidth being capped is more likely. yet if you live in an area with say 2 people then the chances of it being capped are less. meaning you can abuse more bandwidth.

but you'd know this if you actually read up on them instead of knocking it before trying it. so much for needing 14 hours.

oh and one more thing, as for me being conned? i pay 35 quid for the whole sky package yea, in the past 3 months ive downloaded/uploaded hundreds of ps2 games and dvd's. youve now got 14 hours to work out how much money ive saved on official ps2 titles and dvd's
Old 11-08-2007, 10:32   #10
Junior Member+

i would not go with sky even if it was free i have heard of far to many people going with sky and them screwing it up. also sky do not offer static ip addresses. i need them for work.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39   #11
Junior Member+

if the movies that are being downloaded are from sky anytime then sky will probably change the settings for the downloads. at the end of the day i go nowhere near 40gb a month. plus sky realy does suck.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:50   #12

i dont see how sky sucks. the only thing that sky has srewed people around with is activation dates. when you jion you also get a free wireless netgear router. it takes time for sky to accept your broadband and you need a bt landline. other than that they're perfect. the download/upload speed never slows down, and my average download speed is around 225kb tested it at

testmy.net - speed test and broadband tools

tests your connection.

and no we was'nt on about sky movies :P
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24   #13
Junior Member+

i have spoken to quite a few people that went to sky and they compleatly screwed up the installation. they were going through the activation process for 3 months and then when they wanted to cancel the account (after not being in line due to waiting to be activated) they were realy slow in removing the tag on the phone line.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30   #14

we had to wait for ours aswell alex, but trust me once its activated you'll never have a problem with it.

thats mine i just tested on a saturday afternoon at peaktime. its even better than that at night.
Old 11-08-2007, 23:24   #15
God Member

Quote:
4gb films? where you downloading films? every film i download is on average 700mb.
sigh.. I dont download films.. it was an example.. change it to 1gig or half a gig... the questions the same.. if your downloading gig after gig 24 hrs a day for a month they will stop you.. thus not unlimited... I dont download films...

Quote:
but you'd know this if you actually read up on them instead of knocking it before trying it. so much for needing 14 hours.

excuse me? when i have knocked the service? i happen to like sky so dont put words in my mouth.. sky are great for me.. its you and your posting telling accyweb members that its unlimited.... I am knocking you not sky.... no company can offer unlimited anything.. its impossible.

what is wrong with you?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..