Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2009, 13:36   #1

Question Is Facebook affecting forums?

As this seems to be our busiest local forum I thought I would ask on here too. Is Facebook and other social networking sites affecting forum based sites.

I'm a member on a few forums around the web, some niche, and quite a few seem affected by people instead choosing to mooch around on Facebook. Our local site seems to be affected by it with many of our regular members now using Facebook more frequently than popping on our forums.

Personally I use both, but rarely use Facebook 'groups', I just think they are a poor persons forums and difficult to follow.
Old 24-12-2009, 17:02   #2
God Member

Re: Is Facebook affecting forums?

Not sure if it's affecting them or not. I normally come on here for discussions and use Facebook to talk to people individually. In other words I rarely send PMs on Accringtonweb.

You're right about Facebook groups. I sometimes join them and say something, but I rarely go back to them or take any further part in them for the reasons you mention.
Old 24-12-2009, 17:14   #3
Resting in Peace

I'm a member of both, but very rarely use Facebook as I prefer sites like this
Old 24-12-2009, 17:17   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

had a look at facebook, thought it was crap,so didn't bother.
Old 24-12-2009, 19:33   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
had a look at facebook, thought it was crap,so didn't bother.
Really Me too And I thought I was the only one. Don't have a cell phone either .... if anyone asks me why, I tell them I'm Amish.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 00:44   #6

Face book hard to follow? Have to agree but I did think of asking accyweb members what they thought of the pages of maxres for the forces on face book?
webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 01:13   #7
God Member

What is maxres?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 16:32   #8

i use facebook because most of my family and ex workmates are on
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm a member of both, but very rarely use Facebook as I prefer sites like this

I hate Facebook, only go on when someone leaves me a message, can't get my head round it
Old 25-12-2009, 17:43   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
I hate Facebook, only go on when someone leaves me a message, can't get my head round it
I agree with you LYNX1, I joined but could'nt see what it was about, then a week later I started to get emails people wanting to be my friend, Why would any one want to be my friend, especially if they don't know me, so I deleted the emails and my log in code and haven't been back since.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:49   #11
God Member

I only have family on it, and chat with them sometimes.
I couldn't cope with all those 'extras' like zoos and gardens.
Garinda kidnapped me a couple of times so I sent him a few dog turds.
It got too messy, so if you were on my friends list and found yourself deleted - it was nothing personal.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 19:54   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

funnily enough was speaking to a member other day when i was out wo oscar, n she was telling me she had oer 500 friends on facebook, but only knew 6/7 of em, got to thinking after, thats 500 strangers can acess owt of yer details ya choose to put on it, i reckon oer time someone out in cyberspace can collate all that info n use it to stuff ya.? if thats so,it seems rather stupid to me.
Old 25-12-2009, 21:00   #13

Maxres maximum respect for British armed forces!

Login | Facebook

This started off saying it was about to start a charity with a paypals account to pay into, some asked for more, some said we have asked the charity Commission about you and they have had nothing from you.

Now all talk of a charity, one that would be there only to pay money into existing charities, has gone and some still believe it is genuine?

It needs reading to understand it better.
webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 22:44   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post
Maxres maximum respect for British armed forces!

Login | Facebook

This started off saying it was about to start a charity with a paypals account to pay into, some asked for more, some said we have asked the charity Commission about you and they have had nothing from you.

Now all talk of a charity, one that would be there only to pay money into existing charities, has gone and some still believe it is genuine?

It needs reading to understand it better.
I'm struggling to understand what yer saying mate?
Old 26-12-2009, 18:47   #15

Agree with Cashman and Jaysay. I went on Facebook once and within an hour all my students wanted to be my friend! (can't think of anything worse) Also I was terribly tempted to check out what my kids were doing, which isn't right, is it?
Once I saw my nephew Kevin (from Ossie )on Facebook but the Ossie dialect and 'choice ' language! was a bit too much for me.
Much prefer this site especially when Cashman talks posh!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..