Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43   #16
God Member

Re: Isp

I need solid reliable fast internet for my work as I work from home and do 24/7 cover. been with sky for years but switched to plus net recently as sky wouldn't do any deals on fibre. sky were very reliable and if they'd matched what I'm paying plus net they would still have my business. plus net are owned by bt and it's been very reliable so far.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2013, 17:32   #17
God Member

i took a half price for 6 months offer when i joined then each year after iv only paid £10 per month for unlimited usage because as your contract ends if you ring and say you are thinking of leavingthey bend over backwards to keep you

they are very customer friendly

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 22:48   #18

Well they moved over to BT on Wed and what a disaster so far, phone service hasn't got the package that was asked for. Even Royal Mail joined in and delivered the modem to a random house 5 streets away. The internet doesn't work at all, keep being told different things. They've finally decided to send an engineer out on Tuesday.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 23:05   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I need solid reliable fast internet for my work as I work from home and do 24/7 cover. been with sky for years but switched to plus net recently as sky wouldn't do any deals on fibre. sky were very reliable and if they'd matched what I'm paying plus net they would still have my business. plus net are owned by bt and it's been very reliable so far.
Are you on fibre now? What are you getting upload and download?
Old 07-09-2013, 15:27   #20
God Member

76 down, can't remember upload but I rarely send anything large, most of my traffic is data to me.

I'm not that fussy if its the fastest etc, it's plenty for what I need and t be honest I'd rather have 80% speed and 100% reliable than to push it as hard as possible but end up with endless data correction packets.

Old 07-09-2013, 15:33   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
76 down, can't remember upload but I rarely send anything large, most of my traffic is data to me.

I'm not that fussy if its the fastest etc, it's plenty for what I need and t be honest I'd rather have 80% speed and 100% reliable than to push it as hard as possible but end up with endless data correction packets.
Upload is useful when saving your photos to flicker

Do they have download limits, traffic shaping and all that rubbish that Virgin do to me if I download to much at peak times?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40   #22
God Member

It's Unlimited! Why is it still traffic managed? | Community Site News..

apparently they do, I've never found it killing anything I do though.

Old 08-09-2013, 14:54   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I like the way they try to sell it. If traffic management isn't to slow you down and is to enhance your household experience why don't they do it on your router, not their network?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55   #24
God Member

im with bethere and download between 20gig to 60 gig per day on average .So far they have been the only true unlimited company i have been with except bulldog who are no longer around as they merged with another company who were rubbish.Bethere have recently been sold by o2 to sky so only time will tell if the unlimited policy will remain intact

it shoudl be against trade description to advertise unlimited and enforce limits but for some reason they get away with it as do phone companies like o2

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 13:44   #25
God Member

I have to ask, what do you download at say average of 40 gig/day? by my reckoning thats 4 full HD movies which would take ~ 8 hours a day to watch at least? I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing out on something

I learned a long time ago that data for data's sake is not a good thing... unless its used its useless noise

Old 10-09-2013, 18:05   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have to ask, what do you download at say average of 40 gig/day? by my reckoning thats 4 full HD movies which would take ~ 8 hours a day to watch at least?
Depends what quality you go for. I`ve seen 3D movies to download at over 40GB.

Last edited by gpick24; 10-09-2013 at 18:07.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 17:21   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Depends what quality you go for. I`ve seen 3D movies to download at over 40GB.
Admission of guilt there gpick?
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 18:10   #28
Senior Member+

I admit nothing, never said I downloaded it, just seen them to download...honest.
Also seen some 4K films to download around the 40GB mark.
Restless likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 22:18   #29

Well it still not working despite numerous attempts by BT to resolve the issue. They are promising to get to working on Monday, 12 days after it was initially installed. Slightly annoying for my parents.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..