Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2013, 09:36   #1

Isp

Looking for a new ISP for my parents and am looking for recommendations. They don't live in a Virgin Media area so that is out and are currently with TalkTalk, who think it's ok to try and change settings on a pc when the router is showing the dsl is not available.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2013, 12:14   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Isp

Would not recommend TalkTalk.
xavtia likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:21   #3
Resting in Peace

I've always had BT, never had any problems what so ever
xavtia likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:23   #4
Senior Member+

Yep same as me
xavtia likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:25   #5
Senior Member+

Never any probs with Virgin Media, even when not in optic fibre area, you can still get there National service through phone line.
High speed broadband down your phone line | National broadband from Virgin Media
xavtia likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:02   #6
Beacon of light

I would definitely not recommend Talk talk...in fact typing the words makes me shudder.
BT for me too.........I know they get lots of stick, but I have only had minor problems which Bt have sorted double quick......and I speak as I find.
xavtia likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 14:54   #7
I am Banned

Post Office, cheaper line rental than BT, free calls to other post office users, we don't use the phone line during the day, its cheaper on a mobile, only use it on evening and weekend free.
xavtia likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:35   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavtia View Post
who think it's ok to try and change settings on a pc when the router is showing the dsl is not available.
Router settings? You can still access them whether or not internet is connected
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:55   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have been wi same provider for oer 9 yrs, its changed from Wanadoo, to Freeserve, to Orange n now its E.E. for first time i'm not entirely happy n am thinking of changing provider meself, so thanks fer starting this thread.
xavtia likes this.
Old 31-07-2013, 15:56   #10
Senior Member+

o2 have sold to sky.... so any opinions on sky?
Old 31-07-2013, 16:06   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
o2 have sold to sky.... so any opinions on sky?
It looks blue on a clear day, but it isn't really blue and so long as it stays up there and doesn't suddenly collapse nothing to worry about.
susie123 likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 17:25   #12

I had the router software open, was watching the dsl and internet lights flash from red to amber. Having spoken to a BT engineer about it in the past, the line isn't up to the speeds they are trying to send down it and it drops the signal but TalkTalk would prefer to blame the equipment. It's not a wifi drop out issue, it's the internet signal disappearing as there was no signal on any of the hardwired equipment.

I keep hearing differing stories about other companies so was just wondering who recommends what.
Old 31-07-2013, 19:09   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It looks blue on a clear day, but it isn't really blue and so long as it stays up there and doesn't suddenly collapse nothing to worry about.
Wow. I have never 'looked up' before
Old 31-07-2013, 22:36   #14
God Member

bethere

now owned by sky but sky seem to be keeping tehir beaks out of things and great customer service from english speaking people any time of day.Also pick up pretty quick even at peak times

strongly recomend them not one person i have refered has any complaints

ps:

get £15 each if your refered so if you know someone on bethere get em to send you a referal email
xavtia likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 19:42   #15

I was with bethere for a couple of years, they are so laid back they are almost vertical. Shame if things change because Sky have bought them but they just became too expensive. I do remember them not taking payment for 3 months and ringing them to get it sorted, they said it didn't matter and it would be sorted in time, I didn't really want a massive bill but they decided to just bill me from when I contacted them. But parents only use internet for catchup tv and I use it occasionally when I call in so TalkTalk was sufficient but its become very annoying especially when they wont listen.

It becomes more complicated by the fact my parents want anytime and international calls as well as the internet.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..