Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2011, 08:22   #1
God Member

More Telephone scams:

Apparently this has been doing the rounds for a while, but I cant see any reference to it here, got a call on Sunday from an Indian sounding 'lady' who said she was calling on behalf of my service provider to test that my computer was working ok, my home line is ex directory and I would say no more than 10 people have the number, I am also on TPS (but that counts for nothing abroad), they knew my name too, when I told her she should not be calling and asked how she got the number she put me on to her supervisor, so I played along for as long as possible, they ask you to type in a web address www.logmein123 ..... i wont put the full address in so noone will click it, I asked him how he got my details and he wouldnt say, just insisted i go to the website and a colleague would sort out my 'viruses', when I said I thought it was a scam he hung up, on searching the address i found this... Fake tech support virus phone scam from logmein123.com - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2011, 08:51   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: More Telephone scams:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Apparently this has been doing the rounds for a while, but I cant see any reference to it here, got a call on Sunday from an Indian sounding 'lady' who said she was calling on behalf of my service provider to test that my computer was working ok, my home line is ex directory and I would say no more than 10 people have the number, I am also on TPS (but that counts for nothing abroad), they knew my name too, when I told her she should not be calling and asked how she got the number she put me on to her supervisor, so I played along for as long as possible, they ask you to type in a web address www.logmein123 ..... i wont put the full address in so noone will click it, I asked him how he got my details and he wouldnt say, just insisted i go to the website and a colleague would sort out my 'viruses', when I said I thought it was a scam he hung up, on searching the address i found this... Fake tech support virus phone scam from logmein123.com - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
I've had that a few time Derek, the last time only last week, but I did play them along, told them I'd typed in the address they gave me, after taking ages for my computer to boot up, the guy was getting right frustrated when I kept telling I was typing in the address and nothing happened his end, eventually I just said, see you don't like your time being wasted do you *$!+ and laughed, he hung up
Old 30-08-2011, 09:57   #3
Beacon of light

I'm going to try that one John...the next time I get one of these guys telling me my computer is 'fritzed'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 09:58   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I've had similar, asking for my providers password to prove I am me. I naturally refused politely the first time, when the guy threatened to report me to his supervisor for not co-operating, I informed him in no uncertain terms as to how much co-operation he and his supervisor would get from me.
NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR DETAILS OVER THE 'PHONE.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:00   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm going to try that one John...the next time I get one of these guys telling me my computer is 'fritzed'.
You get that certain satisfaction when they realise you've turned the tables on them and wasted their time
Old 30-08-2011, 10:04   #6
Beacon of light

I had two of those calls last week. One Asian sounding guy called Patrick, told me that he was from microsoft and he could see that my computer was running slowl because I had some viruses on it......I asked him how he could see that, and was it by crystal ball as I didn't own a computer...he put the phone down on me! How very rude...I wanted to do that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:15   #7
God Member

I'm registered with tps thro bt, I had an answer message by a computerised survey wouldn't delete till the end. If you get stupid computerised call unwanted press 9 on bt landlines it blocks them from calling you again.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:18   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
I'm registered with tps thro bt, I had an answer message by a computerised survey wouldn't delete till the end. If you get stupid computerised call unwanted press 9 on bt landlines it blocks them from calling you again.
Thats always handy to know cheers
Old 30-08-2011, 10:28   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thats always handy to know cheers
No probs my mate told me about it last week as they get plagued with them & now significantly reduced. Press 9 whilst on call to work the block

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:51   #10
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
That's good news , but my landline is with talktalk . Do you know whether it works with them ? Thanks .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 14:02   #11

I've just this minute had someone call me from 08000. They asked for me but used my maiden name I told them I wasn't here and they hung up telling me to have a lovely evening
I've just Googled the number and it's apparently one of these computer scams
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:01   #12
Resting in Peace

I had one at about 4-15pm When I answered there was nothing, then and a woman with an american accent said Goodbyevery strange
Old 31-08-2011, 09:20   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I had one at about 4-15pm When I answered there was nothing, then and a woman with an american accent said Goodbyevery strange
Could it be...

is it possible that,

You have an enemy and he/she contacted this site and put out a magical hit on you at great expense.

free love spells, spelling, cast a spell, spell casting, witch, magic spells, black magic, wicca, wiccan, fortune telling, palm reading, Magic 8 Ball, crystal ball

If it is true, then all I can say is Goodbye Jay, it's been nice knowing you!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:26   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Could it be...

is it possible that,

You have an enemy and he/she contacted this site and put out a magical hit on you at great expense.

free love spells, spelling, cast a spell, spell casting, witch, magic spells, black magic, wicca, wiccan, fortune telling, palm reading, Magic 8 Ball, crystal ball

If it is true, then all I can say is Goodbye Jay, it's been nice knowing you!

Contact this site, think we've got enough here already

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..