Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2010, 17:25   #1
God Member

new app for cell phones

watching the Sunday morning news here in California and they are doing a spot on a new 'app' for cell phones, it's linked to the phones GPS and shuts down the phone (both chat and text) when the phone is moving at more than 5 miles per hour , aimed at reducing the number of accidents caused by distracted drivers , personally think its a good idea because the present laws don't seem to be working
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2010, 17:45   #2
God Member

Re: new app for cell phones

I think it's a good idea but what about passengers? Half the teenagers I know would refuse to get in their parents car if they weren't able to use their phones.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 18:01   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I think it's a good idea but what about passengers? Half the teenagers I know would refuse to get in their parents car if they weren't able to use their phones.
I think teenagers and young drivers cruising around with their friends are the group this is aimed at as for them refusing to get in the family car ... is that really a problem , let them walk to Granmas house
Old 13-06-2010, 18:42   #4

Or fit jammers in the cars that only work when the car is in motion.

But then that stops hands free kits and like the app would likely be turned off!
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 19:57   #5
God Member

the thing is though, you can legisalte against them being distracted by their phone but there are a million reasons to be distracted in a car teh following I see regularly...., playing with the air con, chatting to passenger, faffing with the CD player, shaving( yes, seen many times on the M60 ), applying lipstick/makeup, reading newspapers/maps, setting the sat nav plus more

The simple fact is that people need to be taught to pay attention, no matter how much you try and regulate stuff humans will always be the cause because they don't pay attention!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 21:31   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
the thing is though, you can legisalte against them being distracted by their phone but there are a million reasons to be distracted in a car teh following I see regularly...., playing with the air con, chatting to passenger, faffing with the CD player, shaving( yes, seen many times on the M60 ), applying lipstick/makeup, reading newspapers/maps, setting the sat nav plus more

The simple fact is that people need to be taught to pay attention, no matter how much you try and regulate stuff humans will always be the cause because they don't pay attention!
the ones which makes me angry are the brest feeding mothers , see it fairly often during the morning commute , notice it more at the bridge toll plazas where traffic can be backed up 20 vehicles deep , tho I guess its one way of keeping a crying baby quiet
Old 14-06-2010, 04:41   #7
God Member

crikey never come across that before steeljack

Do you mean breast feeding whilst driving??

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 04:58   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
crikey never come across that before steeljack

Do you mean breast feeding whilst driving??
Yep , seen it several times , considering a lot of folks face a 1 1/2 or 2 hour or more commute each way from the suburbs into the city juggling family life can become a bit difficult
Old 14-06-2010, 22:52   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
the ones which makes me angry are the breast feeding mothers .....
I don't think I have tried that yet
Old 20-06-2010, 10:36   #10
Senior Member+

i hope this app stops the phones from being able to pump out ****ty loud music....sick of kids on buses thinking its cool to blast out the crap they listen to
Old 22-06-2010, 22:54   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Don't see owt wrong wi that. would be a blessing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..