Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 15:17   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Thumbs down One Password Only!

It has recently been announced that Microsoft and Google are launching a scheme that will allow people to use one name and one password to log onto different web sites.

Yahoo and AOL are also backers of such a scheme.

No! No! No! No! No!

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS WILL I EVER SUBSCRIBE TO SUCH A SCHEME.

Every web site that I subscribe to has a unique and a random characters password of at least 12 characters, although my user name and sometimes my email address is the same almost everywhere. I use a different email address for really important web sites like bank or on-line payment processors like Liberty Reserve or E-Gold. And they get at least a 15 random characters password.

To put all that into just one user name and one password would be foolhardy.
Old 02-11-2008, 16:15   #2
K-P

Re: One Password Only!

I always advise people to use different passwords.. It only takes one password to be found and someone will have access to everyhting,.. what a barmpot idea.. yer spot on jambutty ...its stupid
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34   #3
Resting in Peace

I use the same password for this type of site but different ones for important presonal sites like banking ect.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:03   #4
God Member

I don't think I've heard of this? Any more details like a name or link Jambutty?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:18   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: One Password Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think I've heard of this? Any more details like a name or link Jambutty?
No link, just a news item on BBC Ceefax Page 154 Sci-Tech.

It is still up – I’ve just looked.
Old 03-11-2008, 14:11   #6
God Member

OpenID

There you go mate

now do I think its a good or bad idea? Mmmmm, not sure yet, more important is that whether you will have a choice.....

i.e. if ebay/paypal/hotmail/e-gold/amazon/ etc all decide its going to be their 'authentication of choice' the you either use it or not access their site. Are you prepared to not use these monsters of Internet in order to avoid this system? I think it would make for a very 'restricted' view of the WWW

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..