Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32   #1
Senior Member+

Registering on forums

I want to be part of a forum called askamum.co.uk, only on the bit that you sign up it asks for my address as part of the Mandatory info,would you put yours?.......me thinks this is a bit too much information to be putting on a random website...i really want sign up though because its got info that i can read only if im a member I might be put an old address i was at in Kent lol

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2007, 10:36   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Registering on forums

personally i would be very reluctant to put address/ phone number etc, on summat that is ONLY a forum Miss Kitty, i would be very wary. just my 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:39   #3
God Member

definately not, seems like to much info to me. my wife is a moderator on a forum called babycentre.co.uk and she said to sign up u can leave you`re postcode so you can (if you want to) network with other mums in you`re area but definately no address required.

Last edited by pipinfort; 08-12-2007 at 10:46.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:51   #4
God Member

Just had a look at that site & yes [very unusually] it does ask for address details, seems looking into the site further it is a media based site which will no doubt use your information to junk mail you with flyers etc, as its in conjunction with pregnancy & birth magazine & looking at their terms with will circulate thro their media company, hot way of gaining a database of addys to send junk or mail shot, maybe even sell onto a 3rd party. Personally i wouldnt bother & something that forums dont usually ask, mobile no at most but not a snail addy. Think its a con job for getting unsuspecting parents/parents to be, to sign up without thought of the consequences. Glad u asked Kitty, theres some that wouldnt & have signed up.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:57   #5
Senior Member+

Not just me then.....thanks for your replys guys.
I was a member of babycentre.co.uk (i think) when i was pregnant with Jack,but my fave was ukparents.co.uk checked it out again the other day to find that its changed its name....... it was quite a catty forum so wondering if they did it to try and get a better reputation.
Some of the parenting forums i read were a bit horrible to mums who werent into Terrys nappies/baby slings instead of pushchairs and breast feeding :O

Old 08-12-2007, 14:19   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Just make an address up when you register. I doubt they check.

I make up email addresses when you have to enter one to download some stuff like drivers or updates. If they send you a email to confirm is the only time I use my email, then I think again if I really want to put it. I wonder if [email protected] is some poor sod's real email address
Old 08-12-2007, 16:04   #7

misskitty im on that site theres alot of b#tching on there and thay ask for your address for prizes you win but tbh i wouldn't bother try the other site i gave you its much pleasanter
carl hurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 16:31   #8
Senior Member+

what info did you need?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 17:26   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
what info did you need?
Hmmm i was so bothered about the address thing i cant remember what i wanted to know!

Old 08-12-2007, 17:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
Hmmm i was so bothered about the address thing i cant remember what i wanted to know!
if you want that other site let me kno ill sent you the link theres the same boards
carl hurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 21:20   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Mrs Bagpuss says have you tried netmums.com?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 21:50   #12
God Member

don't put your phone number on anything, you'll get bombarded by dating texts, someone wants to flirt with you etc, i made that mistake on my contract phone, drove me crackers, every day I got them. If forums want that sort of info just make it up but they're usually not worth joining. Businesses make poor forums in my opinion and I'd never be active on one that is. I still say that this is one of the best laid out and run forums I'm ever been on, no pestering emails, no business databases, no four figure sponsorship deals to try to get businesses to buy adverts.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 21:59   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
don't put your phone number on anything, you'll get bombarded by dating texts, someone wants to flirt with you etc,
Always good to get expert advice
Old 09-12-2007, 22:01   #14

i definately wouldnt put my info down but it propbably only wants to send you random information tho
Old 09-12-2007, 22:08   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen_firth View Post
i definately wouldnt put my info down but it propbably only wants to send you random information tho
i wouldn't put money on that kathleen.

« Scams Etc. | Java »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..