Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 11:26   #1

Sky Broadband

Anyone use Sky Broadband? What's your opinionof it if you do?
Old 11-12-2006, 20:27   #2

Re: Sky Broadband

As yet can't get it, should be around March sometime. But i have wondered the same, what's it like?

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:47   #3
God Member

You can 'get it' but you have to pay at the minute as they haven't unbundled teh Accrington exchange yet. At teh minute its just Tiscali, Be unlimited and Bulldog(who are owned by Pipex but I don't think Pipex customers have been migrated as yet).
I reckon they will be swamped as soon as they do unbundle it by all those who have Sky but still pay for BB. I'm now on orange as its free due to my mobile contract.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'm now on orange as its free due to my mobile contract.
So how much is your mobile contract to get broadband free? What service do you get free?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:16   #5
God Member

My contract is £30 (Canary 30, 200 X net mins + 50 orange 2 Orange, 575 texts, 15 picture messages, 30 mins video calling, 4 Meg data, 1 magic number (free calls to it))) which I received 5 months 1/2 price line rental as well as a Nokia N80 smartphone (top end Nokia kit with pretty much everything you could want on a mobile and a lot more).

I get the up to 8M(2 M at min, upgraded free when they LLU the exchange) with a 2 gig cap although I sometimes go oiver this they have never bothered about it up to now (occasionally up to 3 gig use)

Old 13-12-2006, 10:07   #6
God Member

Just found out that Accrington exchange is now enabled for free broadband through Sky(although SAMKNOWS says different I've rung sky to check using my number and they tell me its available).

So any of you who are currently paying for it and have sky you may want to consider your options.

Old 13-12-2006, 11:04   #7
Senior Member+

I just hope its as reliable as there Sat TV.
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 11:27   #8
God Member

For nowt I guess you can put up with a few indescretions.

I don't have any problems with Sky (except they could be a bit cheaper )

Old 13-12-2006, 12:17   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I don't have any problems with Sky (except they could be a bit cheaper )
It would be nice if you could actually watch more than one of the hundreds of channels you pay for at the same time without being ripped off for Sky+.
Old 13-12-2006, 12:20   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It would be nice if you could actually watch more than one of the hundreds of channels you pay for at the same time without being ripped off for Sky+.
A lot of the channels are free.

I think my main gripe is I pay for sky, I dont have an aerial, and still pay a TV licence aswell so its like £30+ a month for TV and 70% of it is adverts.
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 12:57   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't really se it as a rip off? I got a free box as long as I had multiroom which is really useful for watching sports etc on the projector in the back room whilst Julie watches something on the main set or via the wireless sender to upstairs.

Now if only I could be bothered to set up all the cahnnels we watch into a favourites set so I don't have to trawl through hundreds of channels of rubbish

Old 13-12-2006, 14:43   #12
God Member

On a side note, my mum joined pipex expecting to be online in 2weeks, 2weeks later they said it'd be 10 more days, then 10days later they said it'll be January because BT have to update the exchange..
Old 14-12-2006, 19:56   #13

SO there is nobody actually using Sky Broadband now? I tried emailing them to enquire if there box supported several wireless connections and just got a strange email back asking for my account details so that didn't do a whole lot of good.
Old 14-12-2006, 20:09   #14
God Member

Any wireless router will support multiple connections (up to a certain amount but think 20-30 not 2-3)

Old 16-12-2006, 16:21   #15

I joined Sky back in August when it became available in Blackburn. All was fine the engeineer fitted everything all i was waiting for was my activation date, this soon arrived 11th september it was! I was away on a cruise at the time but when i got back i was quite excited to use my new skybroadband max pack. I switched it on nothing i rang sky they told me the exchange wasnt set upit would b 10 days those days went i was then told it would be begining of october that went now they had fobbed me off until november when i lost my rag and sent the box back, now with no box and £54.76 phone bill to sky and hours on the phone i got billed this month, so again i phoned them up to find out my line went active on december the 8th, considering my line was suppose to be active on the 11th september i told them that this was a farce and that i would never go to them again for sky....

One of my friends has it fitted they say it the slowest connection ever! and hes ready to jump ship back to his previous company

So you judge for yourself wat the service etc is like!

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Football Club

Club Website: www.brsfc.com

Last edited by wozaup; 16-12-2006 at 16:23.
wozaup is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..