Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

This made me laugh

Just sorting out a new router for my Dad as his is playing up and I found this post on another forum so I stole it and posted it here so the techy types on here can have a laugh

Hi,

Quote:
Ok, so the family desktop gets broadband internet provided by TalkTalk and relies on a speedtouch 330 modem. Bought an ASUS DSL N11 Modem/Router today to try and wireless network my laptop. Set hardware up as shown and the network map graphic on the GUI shows that I apparently have internet access, as does the icon in the Windows taskbar. Whenever I try to connect however, I'm persistently told that the ADSL cable in the WAN port is unplugged or not recognised. Have checked the connection several times and followed the (limited) troubleshooing steps in the manual but with no success. Obviously plan to contact ASUS support but thought I'd post here in case anyone has any ideas or has the same model.

Also, had initially thought that the new modem-router all in one unit would replace the speedtouch modem we have but as the speedtouch modem provides a dial up connection we can't replace it. So we now have the same initial broadband setup upstairs and the new router on the ground floor in order to connect it to the wall telephone outlet there. (The manual said if problems persisted to contact the ADSL service provider, so I don’t know if there could be an issue with our existing setup)

Phew, anyway that’s it-hope someone can give some advice
The thread became even more stupid when a self confessed expert started trying to help.

I think I spotted the problem but did not post as the thread was over a year old.

Can anyone guess what he was doing wrong?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:51   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: This made me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Just sorting out a new router for my Dad as his is playing up and I found this post on another forum so I stole it and posted it here so the techy types on here can have a laugh

Hi,

The thread became even more stupid when a self confessed expert started trying to help.

I think I spotted the problem but did not post as the thread was over a year old.

Had he switched the computer on
Old 04-08-2011, 14:17   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Had he switched the computer on
That a mistake you make every morning
Old 04-08-2011, 14:39   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That a mistake you make every morning
Ya but I rectify it after about 2 hours
Old 11-08-2011, 23:32   #5

Quote:

Hi,

HAHAHA a wireless network that relies upon a cable...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..