Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 18:43   #1

Virgin Media Spying on you

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7444390.stm

Virgin territory for ISPs

Just in case anyone is on VM.

Last edited by Mick; 11-06-2008 at 05:23.
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2008, 18:55   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Virgin Media Spying on you

im with virgin media!!

the cheeky sods
Old 10-06-2008, 19:36   #3
God Member

those people with a dodgy box are ok because the feedback has been cut off

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 20:32   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Researchers at the University of Washington recently announced that they had managed to fool US film industry body the MPAA into sending formal legal notices to three laser printers, claiming that they had been downloading copies of Iron Man and Indiana Jones.

They had set up their network to fake the relevant internet addresses and the software used by the MPAA was unable to spot this.

Virgin will be on slightly firmer ground because it's their network, and although some users may claim that they have open wireless networks that could have been used by anyone the buck will stop with the account holder.
That is from that link. Those of you with wireless routers should take note that you will be blamed if someone uses your connection.

The funny part is saying VM is on slightly firmer ground because it is their network. Slightly yes, but only just slightly. Many people get free VM broadband using hacked modems with someone else MAC address in them. That basicly means it looks like someone else is doing the downloading.

For example, I use VM, if someone has cloned my MAC then I could get speed limited if they go over my download limits. It would look like it was me. Also I could be blamed for and illegal downloads. I would like to see it stand up in court with VM's network so open for abuse.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:15   #5
God Member

if you are on a wireless network and your connection gets compromised then it shoud be the suppliers to be held responsible for any abuse of your internet for not making the security secure enough

if you set your own router up then the onus should be on you

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 11-06-2008, 11:24   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Theres no law to say ya have to have ya router secured, so why should ya be responsible if your router gets hacked?......many people dont know how to secure their router properly ...theres no law to say you should have the knowledge either
Old 11-06-2008, 11:50   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Theres no law to say ya have to have ya router secured, so why should ya be responsible if your router gets hacked?...

That is a good point. If you leave your car keys in the car and someone steals it and runs someone over is it your fault?

The trouble with this technology is that some smart arse barrister will convince a 150 year old judge who does not even know that a PC is, that it is your connection so your fault and that will be that.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10   #8
God Member

im no expert at protecting my router but i think this shoudl do the trick

Old 11-06-2008, 12:14   #9
God Member

....and add this.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif 060908_screensaver_virus.gif (35.1 KB, 78 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 13:41   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

LOL

One thing.....are P2P sites illegal?
Old 11-06-2008, 16:33   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
LOL

One thing.....are P2P sites illegal?
no they are perfectly legal but the content that you share is most likely not going to be lol

its not illigal to run a peer2peer site but it is illigal to run a perr2peer site that promotes sharing of illigal downloads

there is a risk in using them but lets be honest its a very very very 1 in a million kind of risk

its the same with limewire etc , the programs them selves are not illigal but you using that program to download music and films is

Last edited by accyman; 11-06-2008 at 16:36.
Old 11-06-2008, 19:45   #12
God Member

They are probably all doomed eventually anyway like e-donkey was.
Old 11-06-2008, 20:28   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I ran a file sharing hub for a couple of year using my then Pipex ADSL 512k broadband. My upload was always maxed out handling all the traffic between my server and the hosts. No illegal traffic actually passed through my server so I was not breaking the law. What individuals shared was up to them. Well that is what we liked to pretend anyway.

Pipex never even complained that my upload was maxed out 24/7 for 2 years either.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..