Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 17:16   #1
God Member

Voice over ip?

Debating putting this in tech forum, but I think it involves quite a bit of discussion which it might not get in the tech forums which are generally people asking questions etc.

Anyway..

Do any of you use VoIP such as skype? or do you even have it on your own home phone?
If you don't know what VoIP is, its basicly ringing people using your internet connection rather than the traditional phone line.

I use Gizmo Project because it allows me to ring landlines in the UK and 60other countries, absolutely free as long as the person your calling is registered at Gizmo and have put in their number.

You can also call other peoples pc's, if anyone wants to add me on Gizmo you just need to install it from http://www.gizmoproject.com and add me my name is Cyfr
Old 03-12-2006, 18:12   #2
Len
God Member

Re: Voice over ip?

I have skype installed and I find it quite useful. The newer version (2.5.0141) has a BETA video link which works quiet well but don’t call me at shower times.
If I wish to ring land lines/mobiles etc I have to buy credit but after a certain period of time if you haven’t used your credits up you loses them which I had so I don’t buy credit anymore I just contact other skype users for free.

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 18:35   #3
God Member

On skype if you buy £10 credit you can then ring any UK landline for free too.. I took advantage of this offer before I knew about gizmo
Old 03-12-2006, 22:25   #4
Resting in Peace

Yes most of us have skype but just a word of warning
if you put money on skype make sure you use it.
If you just leave it there and not use it they will delete it.
Roy set us up and put 5 euros on the account for us just in case we needed to get hold of him .
but untill we got hacked i did not need to use it but skype send us a e-mail saying as its not been used they where deleting the money on the accounts
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 22:32   #5
God Member

You only need to make a call to a landline and they wont delete the money, it stays there then for another 6 months

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 19:03   #6
Senior Member+

I play medal of honour and me and my friends play off team talk on google chat

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 23:21   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I use vonage for all my out going calls. It uses my normal phone so you just pick it up and use it like normal. Costs £7.99 + VAT a month for all UK calls and some overseas as well ( not bothered which because I don't call abroad.).

I have kept my BT line for incomming calls as I don't want to loose my number and I cant port it over to vonage yet. As soon as I can it will be bye bye BT and I will save the £9.99 a month for the phone line.

We have been using vonage for about 6 weeks and it is very good. The only problem is the phone is a little too loud. I will phone tech support about it sometime.

I have a 2 line to one phone adapter connected so I only have 1 phone with the 2 lines. Either line ringing will cause the phone to ring but when you pick up the phone to dial out it always uses the Vonage line.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..