Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2011, 14:48   #1
God Member

Watch your daughters accounts on facebook for this guy

my friends daughter who is 13 has been contacted by a user who is 24 years old starting with what facebook call pokes then asking to meet her.My friend has informed the police but worryingly one of her friends accepted the friends request despite not knowing him.Some kids are more aware than others and luckily my friends daughter mentioned it unlike her friend who just accepted the freinds request.

it seems like this guy is trawling facebook trying to contact as many young girls as possible hoping one will meet up with him.

it could be innocent but i dont see any excuse for a 24 year old man to be messaging 13 year old girls at random to meet him

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by Neil; 21-02-2011 at 15:04. Reason: User name removed in case it is usual facebook spam
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2011, 15:05   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Watch your daughters accounts on facebook for this guy

I have removed the users name in case it is the usual and very common facebook spam I have seen so much of.

The name is not important, what is important is that we teach our children to never accept a friend request from someone they do not know.
Old 21-02-2011, 15:16   #3
God Member

its a propper account and since recieving a message informing him the police are onto him the accounts privacey settings have been altered and you can no longer see his friends

i doubt spam would try to cover its trail and i have never heard of spam grooming young girls.

hope no one elses kids are approached by him and hopefully the police involvment will put hom off for a while

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 21-02-2011, 15:18   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Its probably correct but the last one of these I saw on facebook had half of Accy looking for a missing child that was not missing.

It might be a proper account but the bloke might not be doing what he is accused of. Could all be lies by an ex girlfriend or who knows what.

The warning is just as relative without the persons name.

It is a good reminder for parents to sit with their kids and go through their frieds lists checking how they know each person and removing ones they do not really know.

You get the same problems with your kids playing xbox etc with people they do not know.

Last edited by Neil; 21-02-2011 at 15:21.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:31   #5
God Member

with this been a local guy as near as haslingden and the children approached been in accrington i thought it best to mention it.I can understand where you are coming from though.I will see what the police come up with although this is facebook and facebook are known for their reluctance to protect children we will have to see what the police can find out.If I learn more i will update this thread.

most kids have the sense to ignore or tell their parents but it only takes one to fall for it and be taken in and then it becomes more serious.

hopefully now reported this will be sorted

Old 21-02-2011, 17:03   #6
Senior Member+

Good heads up.

I actually tested my daughter by using a friends 2nd account adding a dodgy looking pic and requesting friendship. Glad to report I was informed straight away.

If this happened to my daughter I would be very tempted to arrange a meet myself.
Old 21-02-2011, 17:38   #7
Resting in Peace

Think the simple answer is to keep kids of sites like face book until they are at least 16,
Old 21-02-2011, 17:46   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think the simple answer is to keep kids of sites like face book until they are at least 16,
I think that hope is easier said than done.

As was posted, drill it into them, not to add people they don't know, as 'friends'.

It's like a competition for some.

Who's got the most friends.

No one can have 1,500 friends, as many youngsters do.

Scientists claim the human brain can only cope with forty friendships, and 120 aquaintances, and civilisation has developed around this fact.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 17:52   #9
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
While that is the sensible thing, it is not easy to enforce........thankfully I have no children of this age, but I have friends who do........I think banning children from using a site somehow makes it seem more exciting....and would have young girls looking for ways around the rules laid down by parents.
Children need to be educated(preferably by their parents) not to put personal information onto these sites.......to be suspicious of everyone that they do not personally know(in a face to face sense).....and always to be able to talk to their parents if they think someone online is doing things that they shouldn't.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 17:56   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Good heads up.

I actually tested my daughter by using a friends 2nd account adding a dodgy looking pic and requesting friendship. Glad to report I was informed straight away.

If this happened to my daughter I would be very tempted to arrange a meet myself.
And after testing her what do you do if she gets a message, and your daughter thinks, it's just Dad messing about and turns up because she thought it was you 'testing' again?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 17:57   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
....to be suspicious of everyone that they do not personally know(in a face to face sense).....and always to be able to talk to their parents if they think someone online is doing things that they shouldn't.
I'm always reporting back to my parent, about my suspicions about the folks off here, I haven't met.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 17:58   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think that hope is easier said than done.

As was posted, drill it into them, not to add people they don't know, as 'friends'.

It's like a competition for some.

Who's got the most friends.

No one can have 1,500 friends, as many youngsters do.

Scientists claim the human brain can only cope with forty friendships, and 120 aquaintances, and civilisation has developed around this fact.
Got to agree, my 14 yr old nieces life seems to revolve around face book.

Although a lot do go on it for the games, some friend requests will come for them. Maybe Harmless. Maybe not.

I let my daughter on it, and as I set it up, I can log in at anytime and change the password If I feel the need or to see whats going on, Lucky I have told her the score and she is good with it.
Old 21-02-2011, 18:00   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
And after testing her what do you do if she gets a message, and your daughter thinks, it's just Dad messing about and turns up because she thought it was you 'testing' again?
She doesnt know it was me, and never will.

Rewards where given for alerting me to a possible infultrator.
Old 21-02-2011, 18:10   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm always reporting back to my parent, about my suspicions about the folks off here, I haven't met.

Must have been doing a hell of a lot of reporting then
Old 21-02-2011, 18:11   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:

I'm pleased to hear that G...it is sooooooo sensible of you
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..