Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 23:14   #1
Senior Member+

What Happens to Emails When You Die??

http://tech.msn.com/security/article...06405&GT1=8706

When I first saw the title I thought of the millions of emails wandering around up there with no home to go to and then I realised that it is a bit of a problem.

When anything happens to me I would like my email mates to know but at present nobody else knows my passwords. As it states in the article, more and more folk are relying on the internet for communication and some sort of legal thing will have to be drawn up at some point.

Can you imagine the section at the bottom of a will.............my son, blah, blah......is allowed to know that my password is...................

Any thoughts?

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2006, 23:22   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: What Happens to Emails When You Die??

It could be important in some cases for a pssword to get passed on.

I know that if a Yahoo mail account isn't opened for some time (not sure how long it is) then they just delete everything. The same goes for some websites too.

I had an online contact who I exchanged emails and IMs with who died suddenly a few years ago and their daughter had access to the password and was able to let me know. I was grateful for that as I would have been wondering what had happened otherwise and why my emails hadn't been answered.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 23:32   #3
Senior Member+

Re: What Happens to Emails When You Die??

It brought to mind this couple who I met on holiday in Malta, during the eighties. They were both quite a bit older than me but we exchanged letters and Xmas cards for years. We never ever met again though.

Then, one year I had a card from hubby who told me that his wife had died. I continued to write to him and then silence. A year or so later, his daughter wrote to me to inform me of his death. She had found my address in his book and took the time to let me know.

As you say, Willow, it sort of put it together for me.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..