Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2007, 15:02   #1
Fra

Wireless Help

I've got a wireless setup up and running but for some reason my mum's laptop no longer connects to it. It needs setting up again and I can't for the life of me find my password and username to get into my router homepage and start from scratch. Even if I did have those I couldn't make it as secure as it is now. Its a Netgear DG834GT router. Could anyone out there give me step by step instructions or even better come round and help. There would be a few beers or a bottle of wine in it, which ever preferred. I don't want to mess things up by fixing it myself because the desktop is connecting fine.

Cheers
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2007, 15:33   #2
I am Banned

Re: Wireless Help

scraped my post wait for entwisie hes teh network guy lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 18:19   #3
God Member

Why thank you young chav but please spell me proper like!

OK, few questions first.

Do you have encryption turned on? do you know the key?

If you do "View Available Wireless Networks" does yours show (in other words have you disabled the broadcast of SSID)

Has she changed her network adaptor (is it inbuilt or a usb/PCMCIA adaptor)

when did it stop working. Has she 'upgraded' anything

When you say it doesn't connect, are you sure its not connecting or is it just a lack of Internet that you think is a 'non connection'

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 18:39   #4
I am Banned

lol i sugested doing a hard resetof the router and start again
Old 23-03-2007, 16:11   #5
Fra

Sorry for not responding to your helpful messages, I've been extremely busy. To the last response; I agree a hard reset would be the best option, provided I could get it up and running again with the security tip top.

To entwisi, I'm sorry but I can't really answer any of those questions with any degree of certainty. I think its a yes to the encryption thingy ( a vague memory from my brother helping me set it up in the first place), but I do not have the key, nor anything else I should have kept somewhere safe for this very reason.

As regards to my mum's computer, I am quite confident no changes were made whatsoever. Another piece to the puzzle which I failed to include in my first post is that I had another laptop on the network, which was going back and forth to the acer factory for a general problem (not network related), so there may some sort of IP conflict problem that has not been addressed. That laptop is now dead and buried back in the acer returns bin somewhere so there is only two computers in the house.

To be honest I'm in way too deep and I'm frightened to touch anything incase I lose the internet completely. If someone could give step by step instructions on how to do a hard reset right up to the finer security details I'd really appreciate.

Cheers everyone
Old 23-03-2007, 19:43   #6
God Member

be very careful about what tadah is suggesting. It will remove ALL settings on teh router so you will lose internet(until you re-enter all your internet config details and then resetup all your network.)

I can almost see a new career opening up in front of me(that would be if I didn't earn good coin in a proper job). The number of people who have no idea how routers work yet expect them to keep them connected is amazing!

TBH it does sound like a visit from someone is in order as without clear details we find it very difficult to diagnose the problem

Old 23-03-2007, 19:47   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
be very careful about what tadah is suggesting.
OMG has chav turned into tadah???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 19:52   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
OMG has chav turned into tadah???
yeah and my next trick involves a ferret , a plastic tube and a woman with very loose morals
Old 23-03-2007, 20:01   #9
God Member

sorry guys, some reason I thought it was a reply by tadah!

Actually I'm not sure which of you I should apologise to

Old 23-03-2007, 20:05   #10
God Member

Make sure wireless hasn't been turned off the laptop as well, did mine accidently once, had me baffled for a while, mine uses FN key plus F1 or F2 I think, it toggles it on/off

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 20:49   #11
I am Banned

Eh? what did i do lol
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2007, 08:18   #12
Fra

Oh my god it was a simple case of pressing the wireless button on the laptop keyboard to fire out the connection. I owe many thanks to all who replied, especially to K.S.H who has made my mum extremely happy. She can now go back to mumbling french with her headphones on happily ever after!

Cheers all
Old 24-03-2007, 11:04   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fra View Post
Oh my god it was a simple case of pressing the wireless button on the laptop keyboard to fire out the connection. I owe many thanks to all who replied, especially to K.S.H who has made my mum extremely happy. She can now go back to mumbling french with her headphones on happily ever after!

Cheers all
Crikey why didn't I think of putting that, it is exactly what happened on my sons lap top

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..