Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 10:38   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You might be able to improve your broadband speeds.

Have a read of this Broadband and Bellwire it might help you sort out problems with your ADSL broadband. Personally I prefer the original method of using an ADSL master socket like this which gives the same results as the link says but without the ugly microfilters dangling out of your phone sockets being kicked by the kids etc.

After reading that link you might at least want to try removing the front from your master socket and plugging straight into the line socket behind it as the link explains. Then you will find out if you can get faster speeds.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: You might be able to improve your broadband speeds.

Dont have this problem i am on Cable
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:07   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Dont have this problem i am on Cable
I swear they have put down cable on Manchester road... however can't get it when I phone up!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:16   #4
God Member

I have noticed that around a year ago I could sync around 15Mb at the master socket without tweaking (20Mb with tweaking). Now the router only syncs at 12Mb. I did something similar to this back then, I'll have another go now.
Old 02-01-2009, 20:42   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I swear they have put down cable on Manchester road... however can't get it when I phone up!
They did about 15 years ago, along Nuttal St as well, had blue spray markings on the pavement all round Woodnook, the firm went bust, people were up in arms about the state they were leaving the pavements in.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 23:06   #6
God Member

Ah so it wasn't cable&wireless/ntl/virgin? If it was cable they should buy it! Who owns it?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:40   #7
Resting in Peace

I think the original was "Ninex " or something like that but one reason you might not be able to get it is round here and i would think its the same where you are is they only cabled one side of the street so if you are on the wrong side you cant get it.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It was Nynex but they were taken over by Cable and Wireless in 1997 then NTL in 2000 then Virgin Media in 2007
Old 03-01-2009, 08:15   #9
Resting in Peace

thats the one neil ta
Old 03-01-2009, 08:26   #10
God Member

Well it's my side that has the bit thats been dug up! Darn.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39   #11
God Member

Just because the cables laid doesn't mean it usable, we have it on our street, got put down about 10 year ago, no-one can use it though, Ninex installed it, I've enquired a few times about it, last I was told was they can lay cable anywhere without permission, they need permission to start laying wires from the path to the houses though and it was never granted on our street, never been sure if to believe this or if it was just fobbing me off. Never tried since Virgin took over, might have another ring round and see what happens

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22   #12
God Member

I've just sent them an e-mail to see what I get back. It's more for my dad really as sky is very dodgy possibly due to trees.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

When they install cable in the street I think they put fibre between the green boxes and just put ducts in place in the footpath with little access ports in between each pair of houses. That is how my street is anyway. My neighbour and I share a small access point. They pulled the cable from the green box to the access point then ran a cable into the house. They use two teams on engineers. One put the cable from green box to outside house. The other takes the cable into the house and does the terminating.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..