Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   church car auctions. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/church-car-auctions-40161.html)

cashman 08-06-2008 00:59

church car auctions.

anyone know when the car auctions ceased at church? was in a discussion i reckon early 80s, but cannot be sure. ta.:)

beechy 08-06-2008 12:35

Re: church car auctions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 589263)
anyone know when the car auctions ceased at church? was in a discussion i reckon early 80s, but cannot be sure. ta.:)

i lived on lion st in the early eighties cant remember them operating
then
do you mean the one near the Stag and old police station ?:confused:

jaysay 08-06-2008 12:50

Think it was more like the 70s cashy, it was near the old police station beechy, can remember going to my mates printers near there Libertons, that was in the late 60s, but mick died in the 70s can't seem to remember the auctions much after that

K.S.H 08-06-2008 13:42

I'd have thought about 1975ish

cashman 08-06-2008 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 589409)
i lived on lion st in the early eighties cant remember them operating
then
do you mean the one near the Stag and old police station ?:confused:

well i moved late 70s from lion st n they were still operating then to the best of my knowledge, lived at num 20 so facing the rear wall of them, trouble is exact dates get a bit hazy when yer n owd git.:D;) the enterance was just past building next to stag, the one were cubs n that crap went.

shillelagh 08-06-2008 16:48

Oi you leave first church kirk cubs and scouts alone .....

cashman 08-06-2008 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 589501)
Oi you leave first church kirk cubs and scouts alone .....

knew i'd get ya with that.:D;)

yerself 09-06-2008 07:16

Early 70s I'd say. Once went to Church car auctions and the usual heap of junk rolled in, the auctioneer announced: "This car is sold with a warranty, I'll personally guarantee it will get to Ossy before it breaks down."

cashman 09-06-2008 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 589671)
Early 70s I'd say. Once went to Church car auctions and the usual heap of junk rolled in, the auctioneer announced: "This car is sold with a warranty, I'll personally guarantee it will get to Ossy before it breaks down."

i moved on lion st, across from it Aug, 72 yerself, was defo still going then.

ducie2 20-07-2008 19:35

I remember it was 1976 - 1977 when it closed down, Dyson was the beat bobby just retiring and i was nicked pinching badges off the cars do you remember him

cashman 20-07-2008 20:58

cheers ducie thought it was around that time, remember Dyson with the moustache no i dont.:D;) cheeky git used to stop me in town, after he retired like we was owd mates, dont know if hes still batting, aint seen him in years.

jaysay 21-07-2008 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 609421)
cheers ducie thought it was around that time, remember Dyson with the moustache no i dont.:D;) cheeky git used to stop me in town, after he retired like we was owd mates, dont know if hes still batting, aint seen him in years.

You mean you weren't owd mates cashy:eek::D:rolleyes:

churchman phil 25-07-2008 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducie2 (Post 609395)
I remember it was 1976 - 1977 when it closed down, Dyson was the beat bobby just retiring and i was nicked pinching badges off the cars do you remember him

Dyson was still the beat bobby for Church in the early '80's as me and the mates knew all too well. He was a real pain cos no matter how far you ran after getting up to a spot of 'mischief' you could always guarantee he'd nab you by the ear before you got home!! :D

More of his ilk should be about these days imho but unfortunately the pc (no pun intended!) brigade wouldn't allow it :mad:

jaysay 25-07-2008 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchman phil (Post 610893)
Dyson was still the beat bobby for Church in the early '80's as me and the mates knew all too well. He was a real pain cos no matter how far you ran after getting up to a spot of 'mischief' you could always guarantee he'd nab you by the ear before you got home!! :D

More of his ilk should be about these days imho but unfortunately the pc (no pun intended!) brigade wouldn't allow it :mad:

Hit the nail on the head churchman