Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Tanpit's Club (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/tanpits-club-49412.html)

Barrie Yates 14-09-2009 18:10

Tanpit's Club

Does anyone remember a couple of member there in the early '60s - Freddie Ireland and my father Joe Yates. They were regulars there.

Doug 14-09-2009 18:16

Re: Tanpit's Club

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 745110)
Does anyone remember a couple of member there in the early '60s - Freddie Ireland and my father Joe Yates. They were regulars there.

No; I'm far to young Barrie.....:D. But my Mum and Dad use to go in late 50s and early 60s. Margaret & Alan Douglas. Tommy Douglas my granddad may also have been a member....:) Ring any Bells; they all lived up Church.

junetta 14-09-2009 20:50

It used to be my father's local.......Freddie Martin but I was too young to go in during the early sixties. We could be related, Barrie as my Nana was a Yates from Church.

Royboy39 14-09-2009 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 745158)
It used to be my father's local.......Freddie Martin but I was too young to go in during the early sixties. We could be related, Barrie as my Nana was a Yates from Church.

What was her name first name Junetta. I was about in the sixties and knew several Yates families?

BERNADETTE 14-09-2009 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 745110)

Well before my time Barrie:)

junetta 14-09-2009 21:46

Her maiden name was Sarah Yates but she became Hamer after her marriage. She was brought up on Steiner's View and moved to Lion Street. I've done quite a bit of the Yates' Family History..........loads of them and they were either miners or weavers.

Barrie Yates 15-09-2009 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 745175)
Her maiden name was Sarah Yates but she became Hamer after her marriage. She was brought up on Steiner's View and moved to Lion Street. I've done quite a bit of the Yates' Family History..........loads of them and they were either miners or weavers.

We moved to Church from Lonsdale St in '57 - My Mother took the confectioner's shop on Maden St facing the clock and Stag. I am not aware of any relatives but believe that my Dad originally came from Ossy - possibly top end as Emmanuel was his church

cashman 15-09-2009 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 745196)
We moved to Church from Lonsdale St in '57 - My Mother took the confectioner's shop on Maden St facing the clock and Stag. I am not aware of any relatives but believe that my Dad originally came from Ossy - possibly top end as Emmanuel was his church

so does that make ya one of the "Yates" that had the shop just down from stag past the bookies Barrie? used it regular i 70s when i lived on lion st, top shop.:)

Barrie Yates 15-09-2009 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 745236)
so does that make ya one of the "Yates" that had the shop just down from stag past the bookies Barrie? used it regular i 70s when i lived on lion st, top shop.:)

I think the one you are referring to was on Henry St. There was a Butchers nect door to us and another butchers across York St, facing the Police Sation. The clock tower stood right in front of our shop

Barrie Yates 15-09-2009 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 745175)

My Father was born in Ossy, his Mothers maiden name was Cronshaw, no idea of Gfathers name or occupation.
Dad was an engineer (toolmaker). he went on to be Foreman ib the Ring room at H & B (that was '50s) and then moved to Tool Room as foreman and later Superintendant(?) when ? Crawshaw retired.
He was too young for the Pal's Battalion but was wounded at the 2nd Battle of the Somme.

cashman 15-09-2009 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 745246)
I think the one you are referring to was on Henry St. There was a Butchers nect door to us and another butchers across York St, facing the Police Sation. The clock tower stood right in front of our shop

yeh mate but that was also "Yates":)

Barrie Yates 15-09-2009 11:43

We finally left there in Feb '65 when i came back from a 12 month tour in Borneo and got posted to RAF Neatishead (Norwich). My Mother moved soon afterwards - Dad had died in July '63, in the Commercial Pub, in the company of Freddie Ireland.

keith 15-09-2009 20:07

junetta quotes a name freddie martin rings a bell that the one I knew was a long distance lorry driver working along with billy crossley dennis sandyford out of rishton paper mill for thomas gilmartins which was part of the gilbraith transport empire

junetta 15-09-2009 20:45

You got him Keith, he was a long distance lorry driver. I remember him working for Woodwards along Higher Antley Street, I think it was. I used to have to collect his wages when I was just eight. Such a responsibility when I think of it now.

beechy 16-09-2009 14:26

my step dad worked for woodwards for many years. joe love
they laughingly called him bungalow joe..
cause he had nowt upstairs