Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Newsagents????? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/newsagents-5587.html)

WINGY 14-09-2004 20:50

Newsagents?????

I lived in church in the late seventies and the eighties, and i remember a newsagents on Church st at the top of Princess st/Albert st. Then when the buildings were demolished it moved down near the clock close to the butchers.
Can anybody remember the name of the old guy that used to have the shop?? or does anybody know what happened to him?????

Tealeaf 15-09-2004 11:48

Re: Newsagents?????

The old boy was called Ronny Hogan. His Aunt, Sally Hogan, ran the shop & she must have been in her 80's when the shop was relocated to Maden Street about 1980. Ronny wore the same long, dirty brown mac for all the years that I remember him, from the 1960's onwards, irrespective of snow, hail or sunshine. Nevertheless, he was always there delivering the papers. I was once told a story that he was a sargeant in WW2 & got a nasty case of shell shock at El Alemain from which he never fully recovered, which although I don't know how true it is, probably explains alot. His aunt retired to Southport, I think, and he followed her.

pendy 15-09-2004 15:59

Do you remember Saturday evenings in Sally Hogan's shop, when "the Pink" came in? The place was full to bursting with (usually) men wanting the racing results and the football results (you got 75,000 big green ones on the pools then). Sally Hogan would be grabbing money with one hand and handing out papers with the other, it sometimes looked as though she had at least four hands going at once!

whistler 17-01-2007 11:30

Does anyone remember the newsagents shop on the corner at the traffic lights at church Commercial? That used to be my parents shop, and the place where I was born. In fact the old shop is still standing today but is derelict now of course.

WillowTheWhisp 17-01-2007 11:54

I remember a newsagents shop at the traffic lights opposite the Commercial on the corner of Market St and Blackburn Rd but it's no longer standing. The whole block was demolished. The shop had a curved front.

whistler 17-01-2007 18:26

Yes that was run by parents also, after they had vacated the previous one.
I think it was demolished shortly after they left. I remember the floorboards inside suffered from dry rot in certain areas, and remember being frightened to death of falling through into the cellar below. You may remember the name above the door ' K & K Entwistle.'

ossy kid 19-01-2007 00:15

The newsagents on the opposite side towards Accrington was run by Bob McNichol ex Stanley and Great Harwood, Bob and his wife and other family members were in the plane crash in Tenerife. He was a great crowd favourite at Peel Park and a real team man.

WillowTheWhisp 19-01-2007 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistler (Post 369861)
You may remember the name above the door ' K & K Entwistle.'

Yes, I remember that. I also remember buying bottles of pop from there when I worked at the TSB just round the corner. Did they have trouble keeping the cellar dry? We had to have a pump constantly running to keep water out of the bank's cellar and one day we had a power cut so of course it wasn't working and nor were the lights. Ironically that day a man came to read the meter, which was just at the bottom of the stairs. We did warn him not to go all the way down as the power was off - but before we could explain it was the flooding we were warning him about he said "Doesn't stop me, I've got a torch!" and marched of down the steps - splash, the floor was about 6 inches deep in murky water! :D

Do you remember the name of the baker/confectioner on Blackburn Rd on the Accy side of the lights on your right as you go towards Blackburn?

whistler 22-01-2007 11:19

Don't remember the confectioners but there was another newsagents right next to what was the Greyhound pub on market street.

SimonGudgeon 14-02-2007 13:40

I remember Ronny, was a good fellow and kind to the kids (as I was back then) Didn't he have a fall or a health problem and his brother took over the business for a while? Then wasn't his brother a local councellor?

faoai 14-02-2007 14:49

His brother was called Eddie. Unfortunately he passed away about 18 months ago. Yes, he was a local councillor.
I had the pleasure of working with Eddie at Church Hall Garage for nearly 8 years. What a lovely, honest gentleman. He told me some great stories from years gone by when we were bored on a Sunday morning!

tosh 10-03-2008 18:54

above the k&k entwistle news agents was dr tuxford.

Royboy39 12-03-2008 22:23

[quote=Tealeaf;83682]The old boy was called Ronny Hogan. quote]

I was invited to his house to watch the first television programme I had ever seen..........it was the cup final Blackpool V Bolton.

His house was somewhere in the Dill Hall area.

Happy days.

He had a garage opposite the Thorn Inn at the top of Church Kirk Lane where he used to store surplus items that were sold in the shop.

I was one of the young boys at that time to wait for the pink to arrive.

cashman 12-03-2008 22:25

[QUOTE=Royboy39;545137]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 83682)
The old boy was called Ronny Hogan. quote]

I was invited to his house to watch the first television programme I had ever seen..........it was the cup final Blackpool V Bolton.

His house was somewhere in the Dill Hall area.

Happy days.

He had a garage opposite the Thorn Inn at the top of Church Kirk Lane where he used to store surplus items that were sold in the shop.

I was one of the young boys at that time to wait for the pink to arrive.

yep n sally was i think his mam,course never knew em.;)

Royboy39 12-03-2008 22:55

[quote=cashman;545142]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 545137)
yep n sally was i think his mam,course never knew em.;)

I think Sally was his sister?