Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Blyths Evacuation Area (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/blyths-evacuation-area-5692.html)

Tealeaf 24-09-2004 17:09

Blyths Evacuation Area

I heard there was a meeting last night between the Council and William Blythes on contingency plans for evacuation of Church residents in the event of a major incident at the works. A couple of questions which some of you may be able to answer:

1) Why is this happening now?

2) Are they producing some new hazardous product up there?

3) Or is it just a Health & Safety Executive ruling.

When I was back last time, I did see a map produced of the area by Blythes which was basically from Blackburn Rd down to the stink and East as far as India st.....however, I suppose everything depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Anyway, is it better to run like hell or to stay in and tune in (and block your windows)....maybe the Florida lads can offer some advice, seeing as they seem to have mass evacuations every 2 weeks.

staggeringman 24-09-2004 17:15

Re: Blyths Evacuation Area

:drink:I THINK ITS DUE TO THE WAR IN IRAQ AS THE PUBLIC HAVE TO BE MADE AWARE OF THE PROBLEMS IF IT WAS TO BE BOMBED.IF it was to be attacked the only place id evacuate to is the cellar.

Tealeaf 24-09-2004 17:24

Bloody hell? Church being bombed....is nowhere safe? If the terrs are going to bomb somewhere, why don't they do us all a favour and do the Globe Centre?

WillowTheWhisp 24-09-2004 17:30

I should imagine if there is a major incident as they put it there wouldn't be much time to put any evacuation plans into operation anyway.

Get to the M65 and form a queue in the traffic jam?

Bazf 24-09-2004 17:37

:rose8: Maybe after they arrested them lads from Blackburn they found plans to blow up Church.
Something like.........
Your orders are to blow a christian monument or religious meeting place or something similar, Allah be with you etc etc etc...

Terrorists1: (from Blackburn) Isnt there a place near Intak called Church?
Terrorist2: Yeah I think so but I never go past Tommy Balls, could we blow that up instead?
Terrorist1: No its got to be religious and it woundnt be called Church if it wasnt religious.
Terrorist2: Ok Church it is, but I want to claim my bus fare and I want to stop at Tommy Balls on the way back.

Acrylic-bob 24-09-2004 18:00

You forgot to add the words 'innit?' and 'right' in place of the comma and fullstop.

Also, can you imagine HBC organising an emergency evacuation? They can't even organise a refuse collection without making more of a mess than there was to begin with.

staggeringman 24-09-2004 18:12

I think they would do a runner as soon as they smelt thowd bone yard,they probabley prefare to get shoot themselves

pendy 27-09-2004 17:16

Seriously, I think they do use a lot of sulphur and some sulphur compounds are highly combustible - i.e. the buggers blow up in certain circumstances.

That said, the advice from Hyndburn will probably be as follows:-

1. Get the cat in.
2. Close all your doors and windows.
3. Draw the curtains.
4. Bend over, put your head between your knees, and kiss your a*** goodbye!

Tealeaf 30-09-2004 23:37

I don't know if anyone was outside in Church this evening, but the stink from Blythes/Boneyard was awsome. I really thought we were under a Nuclear/Chemical/Biological attack & I was looking round to see people in inflated orange space suits. It really was a vomit job. Is there anyone who can tell us what's going on at these places? Please advise.

Doug 30-09-2004 23:46

I don’t know about that Tea, I was over today and exited though Church but didn’t smell ow’t. I can always smell something when I come over, it’s a smell I recognise from my child hood and it’s there every time. even as far out has Burnley. It’s chemical obviously but I don’t know what. It always intrigues me when I’m over. I forgot you were come up this week are I would have called for a pint. I can’t make Saturday, but may get over for a couple of pints Sunday afternoon.

staggeringman 01-10-2004 01:31

:drink:hi chaps its that boneyard they say they have solved the problem, but i know they have put a night shift on. and yes it hummssss, is there anybody addressing this problem,I dont think so the bozos are still trying to think about doing an original web site for hyndburn.....(wer ever that is) hope you wernt to sick.

WillowTheWhisp 01-10-2004 06:58

??? I thought Hyndburn had a website?

George Walker 03-10-2004 17:03

Hi,with regards to the bone yard,this as been a problem as i know of for nearly
70 years,as for blythes a problem as long.

WillowTheWhisp 03-10-2004 17:23

I can verify that there was many a whiff emanating from one place or other when I worked in Church in the 70s.

staggeringman 04-10-2004 16:41

:drink:i have lived in church for about 40year, and if my memory serves me correctly....(no beer)..bridge street which blyths and the boneyard are on have been pumping garbage into the atmosphere a long time before that.I can remember bridge st when lords had a funeral parlour there and when they moved,whitewells ice cream moved in with a garage which they fixed the broken down vans,(the only time i got to eat chocolate flakes) if you count how many factories that used to be on bridge street it added a lot of employment to the area.
CAN ANYOBODY NAME THE FACTORIES OVER BRIDGE STREET?