Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Wallace Arnold's/Express Gift's (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/wallace-arnolds-express-gifts-60773.html)

pompeylass 23-02-2012 10:00

Wallace Arnold's/Express Gift's

Wallace Arnold's/Express Gift's

Can anyone tell me anthing of the history of these companies and what was on the land before the factory?

Has anyone got any stories of working there?

When the new building was built in the 80s/90's everyone said 'what a monsterosity' and 'how did they get permision to build THAT' but the further away from it you got the more invisible it got.

So, I looked on an Ordanance Survey map of the area and discovered that the land there was the lowest point for miles around.

Sheila

MargaretR 23-02-2012 10:09

Re: Wallace Arnold's/Express Gift's

I used to live near it.

I recall when it was built, they wanted the sign on the outside higher up and weren't allowed to.

As a planning permission 'sweetener' to the council they said they would provide lots of jobs for locals. They actually transported much of their workforce in on buses from the Burnley area, and lately I heard that eastern europeans are preferred.

Less 23-02-2012 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeylass (Post 972111)

but the further away from it you got the more invisible it got.

Sheila

This may help:-

Father Ted - On Holiday - YouTube

flashy 23-02-2012 10:20

I remember express gifts being built when i was a kid, my grandad worked at what used to be Arnolds...but i always knew it as JOSEPH Arnolds

pompeylass 23-02-2012 10:23

Sorry - Your right - I should have put 'Joseph.'

Wallace is the coach firm, isn't it. Silly me.

Sheila

flashy 23-02-2012 10:25

Lol i did wonder

MargaretR 23-02-2012 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeylass (Post 972125)

Sheila

The coach company that supplied several buses to ship in their workforce was Fraser Eagle. They must have spent quite a lot doing that, so shares in Wallace Arnold may well have been considered:rolleyes:

jaysay 23-02-2012 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompeylass (Post 972125)

Sheila

Ya had me going for a minute Sheila, didn't think Wigan Airways ever had a depot around this neck of the woods:D

janloot 25-02-2012 13:03

did findel stores have any thing to do with joseph arnolds, i seem to remember a sister company being in nelson and coaches running from there to accrington with workers in them,

shakermaker 25-02-2012 13:26

I have it on good authority that Express Gifts was built on a base of pure evil, rather than land.

jaysay 25-02-2012 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 972675)
I have it on good authority that Express Gifts was built on a base of pure evil, rather than land.

Tell us more shaker tell us more:eek:

jaysay 25-02-2012 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by janloot (Post 972669)
did findel stores have any thing to do with joseph arnolds, i seem to remember a sister company being in nelson and coaches running from there to accrington with workers in them,

Findel Stores is part as Fine Art Development the company who took over Joseph Arnolds
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...urWWCbETnCzBmw

MargaretR 25-02-2012 14:10

So much for the planning consent sweetener of jobs for locals:rolleyes:

The locals who did get taken on didn't stay long unless they were desperate.

jaysay 25-02-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 972693)
So much for the planning consent sweetener of jobs for locals:rolleyes:

The locals who did get taken on didn't stay long unless they were desperate.

Remember all the furore there was about that massive Wall, people saying they didn't keep to the plans, seem to think they planted some trees to make it more easy on the eye

flashy 25-02-2012 15:37

wasn't Hameldon Studios on Marlborough Road not part of Joseph Arnolds at one time? they used to make cards there

MargaretR 25-02-2012 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 972709)
Remember all the furore there was about that massive Wall, people saying they didn't keep to the plans, seem to think they planted some trees to make it more easy on the eye

There is a small estate of new built houses at the top of Barnes St.
They had a view of sorts at one time. The 'wall' knocked thousands of their value.

katex 25-02-2012 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 972755)
They had a view of sorts at one time. The 'wall' knocked thousands of their value.

Just after having my second child in 1982, I didn't go back working full time for about 5 years. I did a Saturday job for a local estate agents.

Amongst my duties was to work at some new build bungalows that were being sold behind this building (wasn't there then). Did quite well. Saw later that there was lots of complaints about the Express building (who can blame them), expressing their anger at the estate agent for not letting them know about these plans... I wasn't aware.

Have felt guilty ever since... was only following orders, honest. :(

pompeylass 25-02-2012 18:50

That's brilliant!!!

Great detective work by the Accrington bloodhounds.

I remember Findel's at Nelson. They were set up in an old mill factory next to the motorway.

They must have transferred everything from Joseph Arnold's premises to the Nelson site and then demolished the Church site and built that giant metal box in its place. Then they moved it all back again.

Sheila

maxthecollie 26-02-2012 08:09

That big metal shed is a blot on the landscape. It can be seen from the top of the coppice

jaysay 26-02-2012 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 972752)
wasn't Hameldon Studios on Marlborough Road not part of Joseph Arnolds at one time? they used to make cards there

Part of Fine Art Development Shaz, the parent company, they moved the card making operation their in the 80s I think

jaysay 26-02-2012 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 972755)

Ya, new there was something to do with the properties being devalued, can remember seeing the photo in the Obs with Jack Grime pointing at the wall

MargaretR 26-02-2012 10:15

Some of those new builds are rented out now - presumably because some owners have negative equity.