Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Thorn Inn (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/thorn-inn-6166.html)

Atarah 23-10-2004 22:44

Thorn Inn

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, been to Church today, took this for any of you Accywebbers living away from the area.
If you look at the immediate right hand side of the pub, anyone know what that extra stonework once was?

Doug 24-10-2004 00:34

Re: Thorn Inn

Hi Atarah, Faded memories here and I’m sure our Tea will broaden things out. I recall a smithy and the old pump house that held an old fire cart in its history and a number of cottages. I don’t recall the order other than the cottages didn’t line up with the houses on St James’s. I loved this area around the Kirk and Church Kirk Bridge? Please tell me you went down over the Bridge.

staggeringman 24-10-2004 17:24

:drink: before the flats were built,a row of cottages was attached to the pub,probably for the many factorys we had in the area.

staggeringman 24-10-2004 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Hi Atarah, Faded memories here and I’m sure our Tea will broaden things out. I recall a smithy and the old pump house that held an old fire cart in its history and a number of cottages. I don’t recall the order other than the cottages didn’t line up with the houses on St James’s. I loved this area around the Kirk and Church Kirk Bridge? Please tell me you went down over the Bridge.

:drink:what a good pic ,what a way of life that must be!3mph along the waterways,what easier way to total chill.

Darby 25-10-2004 06:31

Lovely piccy Doug...looks positively Pastoral.

Doug 26-10-2004 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggeringman
:drink:what a good pic ,what a way of life that must be!3mph along the waterways,what easier way to total chill.

It was taken about mid September this year at about 5 p.m. The chap on the barge was very pleasant and passed by with a good evening and a wave. I'd love to have a week or two chilling on the canal, May give it a go next year. Here's a couple of shots of two bridges within half a mile, The Swing Bridge at Church and Dill Hall Bridge, these where taken about three week ago...

staggeringman 27-10-2004 15:31

:drink: always fancied having a do at it myself, over the past two three years, we get groups of people in the pub from down south who are up here on a boating holiday.they found out about the stag through good beer guide they all seem to be very friendly people. the thought of young kids of today throwing bricks off the bridges puts me off the idea of going on one.

Sara 27-10-2004 18:52

Oh your pics do brighten up a dark, dismal winters evening. Only thing that puts me off going on one is the locks. In-laws use to have a boat on the canal, and it scared me every time the locks opened. And i wouldn't even be on the boat.

Doug 27-10-2004 18:59

You can always get off and walk along the toe path... I must admit that the locks do put me off a bit but I don't think that there is that many on the Leeds - Liverpool. The farm I look after backs on to the canal at Garstang and the family own the rights along the bank on one side, often thought of getting an old boat and doing it up there. I coming over this weekend so I hope to get some Photo's of inside the kirk....

Sara 27-10-2004 19:02

I used to get off a walk along the bank and meet them at the other side, thing is i used to break out in a sweat thinking that my nearest and dearest was still on the boat. Kids used to laugh at me, they thought it was highly amusing.

Doug 27-10-2004 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
I used to get off a walk along the bank and meet them at the other side, thing is i used to break out in a sweat thinking that my nearest and dearest was still on the boat. Kids used to laugh at me, they thought it was highly amusing.

Do they still laugh at you now Sara, hahahahaha

Doug 27-10-2004 21:33

I know I maybe going away from the Thorn here but these shots are within a good stones throw. The to shots of the farm buildings is Church Kirk Bridge Farm, where we also played as kids, to the right of the Road about 50 yards down the canal is Plowtalgh farm (not Show) the shot down the canal looks towards the back of Masertbar aside the Donkey Back. The last shot is from to other side of the bridge looking towards St James Road.

Darby 28-10-2004 05:36

Thanks Doug some very nice pictures, that bring back many memories.

Church Kirk Bridge Farm ....I think that use to be (or is on the site of) Ponthalgh. Have a look at

http://rishton.es6.net/web/History/M.../ponthalgh.htm

...I reckon it's somewhere near there or thereabouts.

Doug 28-10-2004 07:56

Cheers Darby, Plowtalgh farm is about 50 yards down the track that leads right at the bridge between the Hyenburn Brook and the canal. This is a pritty poor shot from behind (looking from Church Kirk Bridge)

WillowTheWhisp 28-10-2004 08:03

I love the architecture of Church Kirk Bridge Farm. I almost took a photo of that myself a few weeks ago then realised I didn't have my camera at the time. I noticed scaffolding up at the time. Is it being renovated?