Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2008, 04:26   #1
Junior Member+

any pictures of victoria street?

Just curious to see if there's any photo's of victoria street hanging around,I used to live at #20 when the streets were still cobble and the whole street looked like a set off of "Corrie Street"I haven't seen it since 1966,I'm sure it must be quite different now,thanks.
Mike
bootsmckiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2008, 08:30   #2

Re: any pictures of victoria street?

I'll take some for you if you like, boots.
churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:28   #3

Taken from junction of Lion Street. Queens at top centre.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:39   #4
God Member

which Victoria street was he on about though? there are at least two in Accy
Old 30-04-2008, 11:47   #5

Well this is the section for Church and as Victoria Street, Accrington, is mills and the such I would hazard a guess it's the right one
Old 30-04-2008, 12:06   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Well this is the section for Church and as Victoria Street, Accrington, is mills and the such I would hazard a guess it's the right one

lol your quite right chick, i didnt see the 'church' section at the top sowwy
Old 30-04-2008, 12:59   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good pic phil, me owd mate lived 3 or 4 up on the right.
Old 03-05-2008, 23:44   #8
Junior Member+

Thanks a lot for the photo,it's awesome,it's been 42 years since I've seen "home"brings a tear to my eye.I've been telling my wife and kid's for years that Coronation Street was how I remember Church,now I can show them.So what ever happened to River Stink?I remember putting in some quality time down there as a kid.Is Sacred heart school still standing?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-05-2008, 10:54   #9

Blimey Boots, 42 years is a hell of a long time.

The River Hyndburn, or 'Stink' as you call it still runs but is obviously a lot cleaner these days, there is no longer all the pollution from the mills at the other side of Accrington. You won't have seen the Sports Centre, just behind the Bridge Inn on Henry Street, as it was only built early 70's iirc.
The old Sacred Heart School was closed and demolished in '76 (I went there) but the new building was built just behind it so it was only a short move.
You'll probably remember how Church Hall wound it's way up to Manor Gardens and then onto Dill Hall, that's also changed. From the Bridge Inn it is now a straight road right up the hill. The road layout was all changed in the early '80's to accomodate the dual carriageway that leads to the M65 motorway.
The Wellington is now an Italian Restaurant called Monte Christo and you just don't want to know what monstrosity is where Joseph Arnold's once was.
I'll try and get out and take some more pics for you if you'd like but in the meantime why not have a look at Google Earth? I'm sure you'd pick out some features

Old 04-05-2008, 11:06   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You won't have seen the Sports Centre, just behind the Bridge Inn on Henry Street, as it was only built early 70's iirc.

7th January, 1977.

I only remember because it was my twelfth birthday, and I got a junior membership as one of my birthday presents.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 18:05   #11
Junior Member+

I'm loving this site,how about the Tampitts pub,I remember quaffing the old mans ales while he was off playing darts or whatever,a few trips to Blackpool with the pub crew and the old man playing soccer for the pub team,did the pub survive this last 40yrs,just curious,thanks.
Mike
Old 12-05-2008, 19:09   #12

Tanpits is now called The Plough and is currently a victim of the lacklustre pub scene in the country ie closed and boarded up. As is the Queens (since Christmas), The Commercial (since about 1990 or even earlier!!), The Stag (although I think this one is now being refurbished) and also The Oak Tree. The Antley got demolished last year.
Church Con Club has been a car spare parts and cycle shop for a good number of years and the pub that used to be next door (on Market street), whose name escapes me for the moment, is now a MOT/car repair/tyre business.

The Cross Guns, The Bridge and The Thorn are the only pubs left in Church now along with the Pioneer WMC.

God!! I drank in every one of 'em!! (Still under 40 btw)

Old 12-05-2008, 20:18   #13
God Member

Quote:

Church Con Club has been a car spare parts and cycle shop for a good number of years and the pub that used to be next door (on Market street), whose name escapes me for the moment, is now a MOT/car repair/tyre business.
That'll be the Greyhound

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 08:05   #14

Ta KSH, knew there was a colour involved but couldn't quite recall it!!

Old 17-05-2008, 11:15   #15

Some photo's uploaded for you Boots. Hope they bring back memories!!

Church Photo's

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..