Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2004, 16:45   #31
Member.

Re: Area around Stag Pub

I'd say more 12th century King and Queen looking......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2004, 16:48   #32
God Member

19th century Gothic revival.
Old 24-09-2004, 16:50   #33
Resting in peace

Could it be King Oswald, founder of Church Kirk and his missus? - not that anyone would know what they looked like.

Doug - hadn't we been burning Catholics for quite a long time by 1648? NOT an encouragement to hang about in monkish robes, surely?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 16:50   #34
Resident Waffler

I agree about the King & Queen looking. Wonder who they are meant to be.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 16:51   #35
land of hope and glory

now its back on track and doug has sorted his attachments out,i am half way through mist over pendle(good book) based on the lancashire witches.they had clergymen and they also had DOUAI`which means seminary who preached sedition in (plain english he was a priest)now at that time in the 17th century they hung,drawn and quarted priests his name was john southworth which is a popular name around lancashire.As i have told you only half way through, i am summising the two heads at the front of the church could be from priests caught in this area?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 16:53   #36
Resident Waffler

ooh lol I was typing that just as you posted Pendy.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 16:56   #37
Resting in peace

The Southworth family lived at Salmesbury Hall between Blackburn and Preston. I think it is John Southworth who is now a Catholic saint (or is it Christopher?). The family more or less died out because all the sons went to be priests, and came to sticky ends. Bit of a wander, but information anyway.

If you liked Mist over Pendle, try Harrison Ainsworth's book "The Lancashire Witches" - same period, same people, different slant entirely
Old 24-09-2004, 16:57   #38
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Doug - hadn't we been burning Catholics for quite a long time by 1648? NOT an encouragement to hang about in monkish robes, surely?
Never head of Priest Holes. hehehehe. I'm not going to enter a religious argument about burning our Catholic friends. But they did miss a few. I know, I married one once…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 16:59   #39
Resting in peace

Don't mind me, my godmother dragged me off and had me baptised a Catholic - nobody asked me, so I exercised my choice when I was older. Never worried enough about religion to burn for it.

Wouldn't Church Kirk have had a vicar by then, probably a puritan one as well, since Old Noll was not keen on any form of showy stuff?
Old 24-09-2004, 17:00   #40
land of hope and glory

r
Quote:
The Southworth family lived at Salmesbury Hall between Blackburn and Preston. I think it is John Southworth who is now a Catholic saint (or is it Christopher?). The family more or less died out because all the sons went to be priests, and came to sticky ends. Bit of a wander, but information anyway.

If you liked Mist over Pendle, try Harrison Ainsworth's book "The Lancashire Witches" - same period, same people, different slant entirely
read that one first, thats the one that has all the dialect in isnt it.
Old 24-09-2004, 17:02   #41
Senior Member+

I know that the ghost story about the white lady at Salmesbury hall was supposed to be John Southworths daughter who died in mysterious circumstances.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:04   #42
Resting in peace

If John Southworth was a priest, he had no business having a daughter! That said, there were probably quite a few John Southworths, they weren't very original with names in those days. There is supposed to be a white lady, but don't know the story, except that she is supposed to wander out onto the Preston road and terrify motorists!
Old 24-09-2004, 17:04   #43
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Don't mind me, my godmother dragged me off and had me baptised a Catholic - nobody asked me, so I exercised my choice when I was older. Never worried enough about religion to burn for it.

Wouldn't Church Kirk have had a vicar by then, probably a puritan one as well, since Old Noll was not keen on any form of showy stuff?
i think im a catholic......cus im alwayssss...in church DRINKING
Old 24-09-2004, 17:17   #44
God Member

If you want a good read on this, then click on here:

http://rishton.es6.net/web/History/M.../ponthalgh.htm

This is from the Rishton website, which is very good, but mainly historical. Anyway, I'm sure they won't mind the link, considering as this bit's all about Church, anyway.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:50   #45
land of hope and glory

good reading tealeaf does the church not sell a little blue bookthat contains all that information?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..