Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2004, 17:52   #46
mez
God Member

 
mez's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

pendy / you suprise me are you JUST reading mist o'er pendle ive read it umpteen times, got some of benita moore's too.
__________________
Ilove accy, thats why i moved back but now im up ossy
'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2004, 17:56   #47
land of hope and glory

 
staggeringman's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
pendy / you suprise me are you JUST reading mist o'er pendle ive read it umpteen times, got some of benita moore's too.
i think it was me that said i was reading the book mez, not alot of time to read more.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 18:00   #48
mez
God Member

 
mez's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

oops sorry,stag man,
__________________
Ilove accy, thats why i moved back but now im up ossy
'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 00:20   #49
Member.

 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Pendy. I’m prepared to consider that the monks may have been priests or possible catholic lay preachers, but what ever they where I think there’s a possible link between the myth and actuality. Mr Cromwell was a puritan and he didn’t particularly like those of that persuasion did he?

So I would suggest if the nice gentleman of history did come across a couple of Monks, Priests or those of catholic faith, he may well have had it off with there heads don’t you think?...

Has anyone else heard of this tale?

Do you realise that Mr Cromwell was a puritan extremist and would have been class as a terrorist had he been alive today. And of the reformation, was that not a religious form of ethnic cleansing.
__________________

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 25-09-2004 at 00:32.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 15:46   #50
land of hope and glory

 
staggeringman's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

sorry ladies and gents talked to the treasurer of the church,he told me they were put there for decoration when it was rebuilt in the 18th century.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 16:00   #51
Member.

 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

******, Where’s as the romance gone, is our history doomed to be as boring as a peace of HBC policy. Can their be no more fanciful myths born out of the distant past of this cultural back wash of the industrial revolution. Since man could fart Celts, Romans, Saxons, Danes, have walked this land. Where is our romance, our mythical past of magic and witches?

Ok then I give in. Let’s have some history about the Stag then. Any ghost’s? What about link’s with witches or highway men.
__________________

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 16:15   #52
land of hope and glory

 
staggeringman's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

since we have been here we have had three encouters of the spooky kind,as you already know the pub is early 15th century.Well the first encounter was when we first moved in we had just had a delivery, and the drayman said there wasnt enough room to put all the beer away so he left a 18 gallon lager in the drop. We where all sat upstairs talking and someone said did you here that?... is someone in the cellar so being the brave man as we are ...he.he. i sent the wife down to check reporting back she said there was nowt there.I went down and noticed no beer in the drop,but stood the wrong way up at the other side of the cellar.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 16:17   #53
God Member

 
Tealeaf's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Bloody hell......that would make my hair stand on end.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 16:22   #54
land of hope and glory

 
staggeringman's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
******, Where’s as the romance gone, is our history doomed to be as boring as a peace of HBC policy. Can their be no more fanciful myths born out of the distant past of this cultural back wash of the industrial revolution. Since man could fart Celts, Romans, Saxons, Danes, have walked this land. Where is our romance, our mythical past of magic and witches?

Ok then I give in. Let’s have some history about the Stag then. Any ghost’s? What about link’s with witches or highway men.
hi doug i thought all landlords wer highwaymen, and as for witches enough said...we dont know whos reading this...he..he
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 16:26   #55
land of hope and glory

 
staggeringman's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Bloody hell......that would make my hair stand on end.
have you seen my hair style tealeaf it wouldnt stand on end if i did a hand stand in cow..dung for twelve months...
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 16:34   #56
Member.

 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
hi doug i thought all landlords wer highwaymen, and as for witches enough said...we dont know whos reading this...he..he
I had notice, I bought around the last time I was in. lol. as for the witch's say no more. I wouldn't want to cross one of them either. Lets have a bit more stag history when time allow eh?
__________________

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 16:56   #57
Resting in peace
 
pendy's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

You lot leave us witches out of it - just so long as you don't try to leave us out of the pub.

I'm all for spirits - gin, scotch, etc - and a pub is definitely the right place for them.

We have more ghosts than you can shake a stick at (if you'd want to), my friend Margaret had a ghost in her garden at Stanhill, there is the Grey Lady at Dunkenhalgh, Abbot Paslew at Whalley (why do you think they walled the church off?), and lots more. When you think about it, if a place is more than about 70 years old, the chances are about 90% that somebody has died there ....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 17:02   #58
land of hope and glory

 
staggeringman's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

hi..pendy..we wasnt insinuating about anybody with the witch talk,we where just on about them thats alive...he..he.
quote...dont worry about anything that is dead...its the living you have to worry about...
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 17:03   #59
mez
God Member

 
mez's Avatar
 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

oooooooo witches& ghouls & wee tiny beasties, getting like a ghost story on here he he he "says she cackling to the couldron" beware!!!!!!
__________________
Ilove accy, thats why i moved back but now im up ossy
'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 17:03   #60
Member.

 

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
since we have been here we have had three encouters of the spooky kind,as you already know the pub is early 15th century.Well the first encounter was when we first moved in we had just had a delivery, and the drayman said there wasnt enough room to put all the beer away so he left a 18 gallon lager in the drop. We where all sat upstairs talking and someone said did you here that?... is someone in the cellar so being the brave man as we are ...he.he. i sent the wife down to check reporting back she said there was nowt there.I went down and noticed no beer in the drop,but stood the wrong way up at the other side of the cellar.
I think we should hold a ghost watch in the Stags Cellar, see if we put some of the spirits to rest. I don't mind doing it for charity. It would be nice to have a couple of witch there an all don't you think?
__________________

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.26832 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1