Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2004, 17:11   #61
Resting in peace

Re: Area around Stag Pub

Great idea - I am sure we can put quite a lot of spirits to rest! - I will single-handedly account for quite a number. Should I bring my broomstick, in order to sweep all before me?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2004, 17:13   #62
mez
God Member

can i come toooo i need a perm in my hair he he h e, plus i like the thoughts of all that spirit in one place

Last edited by mez; 27-09-2004 at 17:15. Reason: needed to add somthing
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 17:17   #63
land of hope and glory

last one for tonight...laid in bed at about 2.30am the wife checked the kids and got in bed,after about an hour i heard foot steps outside the door and when it reached directly our door the floor board creaks louder.This happened about six times..then the wife said thinking i was asleep..did you here that? I still pretended to be asleep she got out of bed put her dressing gown on and went to investigate,after a couple of minutes she came back,Me i jumped up and said whats the matter she said who shut all the doors behind me i said it wasnt me..I was asleep ....iwasnt really but i didnt shut the doors either....and before anyone tells her i was awake ,I confessed the day after.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 19:09   #64
Member.

I take it that the wife is the brave one then?.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 20:59   #65
Resident Waffler

Isn't that normal Doug?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2004, 21:10   #66
Member.

Nope................. What are you suggesting Willow. lol. I'm sure you’re a strong and self determined woman. But would you cope under the influence of spirits

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 27-09-2004, 21:16   #67
Resident Waffler

I'm never under the influence of spirits - lol - I don't drink. I can tell you one thing, you wouldn't get me on my own in a haunted cellar at night. I spent my honeymoon in a haunted cottage and that was bad enough.

Old 27-09-2004, 21:21   #68
God Member

Won't spending a night in a cellar be pretty cold and uncomfortable, spirits not withstanding?
Old 27-09-2004, 21:24   #69
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm never under the influence of spirits - lol - I don't drink. I can tell you one thing, you wouldn't get me on my own in a haunted cellar at night. I spent my honeymoon in a haunted cottage and that was bad enough.
There is just no answer to that, but I'm trying to think of one.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-09-2004, 13:12   #70

I read somewhere that centuries ago when a new pub ws built, there was also a person laid to rest in the foundations for good luck. often these people died or where killed while the pub was being built. hence all the cellers where full of spirits!!!

I wonder if this is where the double meaning of spirits comes from?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2004, 13:38   #71
Member.

Do you have a close association with spirits littlemo? just wondered that's all. I think that as late as the 18 century there was still a custom that people laid coins, small dead furry animals or the odd moggy as a tribute to the old ways (Gods & Goddesses) and or to appease the land. Some early cultures like the Celts and even the Romans would stuff the body of a dead child into the foundations of an important building or Temple. I’m not sure that we as a culture stuck bodies of dead people in to the foundations of our pubs and ale houses. Most people who had normal deaths would be laid to rest in consecrated Ground. Highwaymen (Pub Landlords), witches and executed prisoners would be an exception to that, but would doubt they found there way into the foundations of the pub, possible exception their for landlords mind. lol

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-09-2004, 14:04   #72
Resident Waffler

It sounds like a distinct leg pull to me littlemo

Old 28-09-2004, 14:11   #73
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Won't spending a night in a cellar be pretty cold and uncomfortable, spirits not withstanding?
A lot depends on how many spirits, and how close we huddle together. You could always try thermal underwear, also woolly hat and gloves, thick socks, etc. Could still be a bit chilly in mid-Winter - perhaps this is one for Summer? but count me in anyway, I'll make a special trip. According to my other half, I could certainly nag them into submission ....
(foul calumny, of course).
Old 28-09-2004, 14:13   #74
Resting in peace

Forgot to mention - didn't they put a dead pig's leg in barrels of cider to give it body (no pun intended)?

Perhaps the Stag is haunted by ghost pigs looking for their legs? Staggering Man - did the footsteps sound as though it was limping?
Old 28-09-2004, 16:47   #75
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Forgot to mention - didn't they put a dead pig's leg in barrels of cider to give it body (no pun intended)?

Perhaps the Stag is haunted by ghost pigs looking for their legs? Staggering Man - did the footsteps sound as though it was limping?
if its little ghosty pigs i am looking for ,they better watch it...im after there bacon.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..