Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2004, 16:50   #31
God Member

 
Tealeaf's Avatar
 

Re: church

Cheers Atarah...the second photo confirms the date of the first now as being between 1901 and 1906/7 because we now know the street on the left is Market Street. The second piccy, is of course of Market Street, looking from Church towards Ossy. We can be much more specific about the date of this picture because we can see hoarding on the left (previously the site of the telephone shop with the lamp). The hoarding, of course, is there as alteratons are made to curve the building for trams to go round, and we know the tramlines from Church to Ossy werel aid in 1906/7.

Just going back to the first piccy, though....can anyone spot the pub? Not to difficult really...it's the Navigation Arms and it's the building with the bloke stood outside, just on the right hand side of the piccy. Als, no longer with us.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2004, 20:20   #32
Full Member
 

Re: church

Going back to the forties our family doctors surgery was under the traffic lights at church facing what was the thenthe churchcouncil offices facing the other side a row of shops and the bus stop to accrington The doctors name I think was pare and our family stayed patients till he died
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 21:54   #33
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

Navigation Arms named after the canal I presume? Could that have been the building with the double arched windows? I can't see too clearly on the photograph I'm afraid.
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 05:07   #34
Senior Member
 
Darby's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
Going back to the forties our family doctors surgery was under the traffic lights at church facing what was the thenthe churchcouncil offices facing the other side a row of shops and the bus stop to accrington The doctors name I think was pare and our family stayed patients till he died
Correct Keith, you still have a good memory!

I also use to go to see Dr. Pear...his practice was taken over by Dr. Tuxford sometime in the mid to late 50's. The Bank was on the opposite side of Blackburn road to the doctors surgery.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 07:38   #35
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

There was another Bank in Market Street, by the bus stop, opposite the Post Office. I worked there.It was great fun. The cellar was liable to flooding and we constantly had to have a pump running to keep the water out. Once or twice it failed and we'd be down there paddling about knee deep in water! We used to have to keep things above a certain level to make sure they would stay dry.
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 09:20   #36
Senior Member
 
Darby's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
There was another Bank in Market Street, by the bus stop, opposite the Post Office. I worked there.It was great fun. The cellar was liable to flooding and we constantly had to have a pump running to keep the water out. Once or twice it failed and we'd be down there paddling about knee deep in water! We used to have to keep things above a certain level to make sure they would stay dry.
Didn't that become a Building Society branch office later?? Halifax or something??

It was just up from the bus stop if I remember rightly!

Willow...I didn't know Cellar Paddling was great fun?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 11:32   #37
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

I'm not sure about that because I transferred to another branch and never went back there. It's been demolished since and is now the site of "Alleytroyds" I don't know if they still get the same stink from Blythes that we used to get in the Bank (or when the wind was in the opposite direction a nice aroma of bone boiling from the glue factory) The chrome fittings on the front door were very pitted too which made you wonder what on earth was in the air.

The demise of the Bank came with the closure of places like Rothwells which used to supply half of our custom.

Ah those were the days, butties at dinner time from Carley's - "built" to specification with as much mustard as you could handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Willow...I didn't know Cellar Paddling was great fun?
Not in the smelly water we got down there it wasn't !!
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 13:25   #38
Senior Member+
 

to Willowthewhispchurch

Hi, tried here to show you the Navigation Arms, well, I think it is. Wont be too clear, but might help you to decipher which building Tealeaf meant. Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naviagation.jpg (11.8 KB, 68 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 13:38   #39
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

Well that certainly doesn't have any arched windows.
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 13:47   #40
Resting in peace
 
pendy's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Correct Keith, you still have a good memory!

I also use to go to see Dr. Pear...his practice was taken over by Dr. Tuxford sometime in the mid to late 50's. The Bank was on the opposite side of Blackburn road to the doctors surgery.
Dr Pear delivered about half of the inhabitants in Church before he retired. He could be seen at Old Trafford, in his Panama hat, at every major match, so goodness knows how he found the time.

Keith Tuxford took over from him, as Darby says. They all seemed to be one-man practices in those days. Anyone remember that awful old gas ring with the pan with the rubber tubing and needles boiling in it? - smelt awful, but was probably (hopefully) sterile! In those days, nobody got MRSA (never even heard of it then). Perhaps we should go back to our old sterilisers with the Cheatles forceps, Lettie? - probably before your time!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 15:56   #41
Resting in peace
 
pendy's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm not sure about that because I transferred to another branch and never went back there. It's been demolished since and is now the site of "Alleytroyds" I don't know if they still get the same stink from Blythes that we used to get in the Bank (or when the wind was in the opposite direction a nice aroma of bone boiling from the glue factory) The chrome fittings on the front door were very pitted too which made you wonder what on earth was in the air.

The demise of the Bank came with the closure of places like Rothwells which used to supply half of our custom.

Ah those were the days, butties at dinner time from Carley's - "built" to specification with as much mustard as you could handle.

Not in the smelly water we got down there it wasn't !!
Willow - are you sure the smell came from the glue-boiling? I seem to remember Kirby's Funeral Parlour was just around there! - in fact, there were two of them, because I seem to remember that the son, Alan I think, fell out with his father and opened his own place almost opposite.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 16:11   #42
God Member

 
Tealeaf's Avatar
 

Re: to Willowthewhispchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
Hi, tried here to show you the Navigation Arms, well, I think it is. Wont be too clear, but might help you to decipher which building Tealeaf meant. Atarah
The Navigation was further down than the buildings indicated in this picture. If you look at the original picture, you'll see (looking in the direction of Blackburn), 3 cottage type buildings, then a large building and then a building sticking out with a bit of a white wall by the side. There is one person, and possibly 2 more stood outside. This is the building I believe to be the Navigation pub.

Wood street used to rum from Market street, round the back of the old Con club, and emerge on Blackburn Rd more or less opposite the Eastern end of the Navigation. That street is still there, although I don't think it's named as such.
Willow, if you pop over there again and line yourrself on the canal side opposite that entrance on Blackburn Rd, then the area back towards Blackburn was the site of the Navigation. If your mysterious piece of wall is on the site then we know what it is; if not, then we shall have to continue enquiries.

The three cottage type buildings, are of course, now the site of the wedding dress place.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-09-2004 at 16:14.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 18:26   #43
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

If the first pic here is the road you are referring to I think we're in the right place. There is another entry but that just seems to lead to a private area.(see second photo)

I took a few more photographs of the wall, (must learn to use less pixels so I can have a larger image) to see if we can work out what was what, but it's hard to get a good angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Church wall 015a.jpg (97.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Church wall 003a.jpg (86.5 KB, 61 views)
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 18:33   #44
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

Here's my bricked up double arched window again and you can see it is a window as the window sill is clearly visible. You can also see there seem to be corner stones of a building but then the stonework continues on - was the next building built later and tagged onto that one? There is no point along this wall where any part of it protrudes further out than the rest now. (as the pub did)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Church wall 006a.jpg (26.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Church wall 005a.jpg (23.7 KB, 44 views)
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2004, 22:33   #45
Senior Member+
 

church

Hi, tried another time for you - is THIS the Navigation?#


I am lost with the picture of the filled in "window" (with not being a Church person) - please just where do you mean? You aren't looking at the wall that was part of Blythes are you, cos I used to work there, when we went for lunch near the weighbridge. Surely its not a blocked up window belonging to them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naviagationcorrectonethistime.jpg (10.2 KB, 64 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 17:43.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.40280 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1