Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 09:58   #1
Senior Member+

church

This section should be started off by Tealeaf, he's the man with the knowledge.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:55   #2
Senior Member+

church

C'mon Tealeaf, we are waiting ......
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:57   #3
God Member

Re: church

You know me..........I won't post anything unless its of the highest quality
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 13:23   #4
I am Banned

t \ea you should be mod. of this forum
Stanley4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 13:30   #5
God Member

Nope........I'm a poacher, not a gamekeeper...........
Old 05-08-2004, 14:24   #6
Member.

Mr Tealeaf, perhaps you may wish to contribute an over view of Church as it exist now and a potted history of what is. Just to open things up for those who may be interested, but have no ideal of where or what church is.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 17:04   #7

Church is a very small but tight knit community, or at least it was when i lived there( my mum and step dad, and brother and sisters still do). Mainly known for the large church at the church kirk end, and the awful smell from the 'bone factory'
savo is back. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 21:34   #8
Senior Member+

Church

Hi, here's an old postcard showing Church. Some scenes you may recognise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Churchpostcard_resize.jpg (97.4 KB, 181 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 13:08   #9
Resident Waffler

I remember when Church had shops.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 22:43   #10

Does anyone remember that strange "cough" couple who had a sweet shop and if they were not serving in the shop they were blowing bubbles..I was a kid back then and I used to think freeky..hope they dont turn out to be anyones relatives on this board appologies if they are but they sure were strange folks..Linda..the snotty nosed kid who hung round church 60's & 70s
Pheonixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:39   #11
Member.

Pheonixx, we're around the same age? ish. Where was you at Church say early 60s.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:18   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonixx
Does anyone remember that strange "cough" couple who had a sweet shop and if they were not serving in the shop they were blowing bubbles..I was a kid back then and I used to think freeky..hope they dont turn out to be anyones relatives on this board appologies if they are but they sure were strange folks..Linda..the snotty nosed kid who hung round church 60's & 70s
You're talking about the people at the junk shop at the corner of Henry street & Barnes Street. She ended up being fished out of the canal at Church, he remarried about 6 weeks later and a month after that he was dead, if I recall.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:33   #13

That wasn't the blind chap who ran the news agents opposite where the chippy is now is it?
savo is back. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:39   #14

Doug I was brought up in Leyland street but did most of my hanging round in church with my brother Jimmy who I sadly lost to cancer aged 38 in 1999 ..I can think of a few names..John Bramwell {mum & dad had a wallpaper shop** Roy Chatwood he once ran away from home and lived in the kilns and all the kids from miles around pinched food from their house to feed him .Jed Heath..hard as nails..LOL..Kim and Ian Potter ,Elaine Warden and her brother..lot of irish peeps..paddy my ex boyf..Fragie ,Pedro ,Cambels..and lots of others I cant just remember..Mick Mcmannus ,Pete flarety mum and dad had a chippy...lad we called nigger I think he was called Nigel..and lets not forget the Capsticks Malcom and Micheal lived near church trafic lights..in the 70s I was one of those pesky skinheads who hung round the triangle..so sorry if I bothered any of you I have grown up now LOL..Tealeaf I was sad to hear about the sad demise of the strange couple they are a big part of my church memories as was the building of Joseph Arnolds building..seeing lady Di open it..the swing bridge near the canal..the grave stones opening at church kirk and all us kids taking a look then running like mad to get away..nipping over the wall at the cross keys to nick their emptys then taking them back to get the money on the bottles..then last but least getting caught by the Armstrong clan for being on their territory and getting a good beating..then on to fond memories of me dad Bert Banks a well know Church character who could be seen up to his death sitting on the bench at the side of the Commercial with who he called the lads..all in their 80s and sadly all dead now..RIP owd fellas who were all Dunkirk veterans..Linda
Old 09-08-2004, 11:43   #15

Not the commercial..it was the Queens..sorry

« Life in Church | - »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..