Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 19:40   #1
Senior Member+

Church Traffic Lights

Looks like they have made a good job of knocking down the old building at the lights, landscaped, knee high fence, and wow.........young trees complete with steel guards. (how long will they last)

What a shame they did not do that on Blackburn road when they knocked down all those houses.

What a mess as you drive in to Accrington

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2009, 19:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Church Traffic Lights

It's a shame they couldn't have done that when they knocked down the Sacred Heart church.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 20:03   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsmum View Post
It's a shame they couldn't have done that when they knocked down the Sacred Heart church.
Will agree with you on that one, but is that bit of land not owned by the Church, or was the land rented from ????

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-01-2009, 20:07   #4
Senior Member+

Not sure who owns the land

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 20:09   #5
God Member

Went past on the bus last week and got to say it looked a lot better without them horrible buildings
Old 11-01-2009, 20:12   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

They need to knock the warehouses behind it too, now that looks the eyesore
Old 11-01-2009, 20:23   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Went past on the bus last week and got to say it looked a lot better without them horrible buildings
Have HBC not got major plans for church traffic light area, like a double roundabout, that would solve the problem of all the cars going through the lights on "red"

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-01-2009, 20:31   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Have HBC not got major plans for church traffic light area, like a double roundabout, that would solve the problem of all the cars going through the lights on "red"
There are plans afoot for the area, not sure what they entail.
Old 11-01-2009, 21:02   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Are you talking about the lights at the Commercial? I know it's changed completely since I lived in West End, when the route along Blackburn Rd was really the only way into Accrington, but which buildings have they knocked down? I seem to remember the old Council Offices had gone last time I drove down there. I always loved that curved building, even the Victorian public loos next door to it, and sometimes interesting architecture gets sacrificed for "improvement". So, what's gone now?
Old 11-01-2009, 21:19   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Have you any statistics that cars go through on red Park ? .. used to do that run every morning 'till I retired ... never really saw anyone doing this ...

Feel they need to alter the light sequence that's all.

Not enough land for a roundabout ... which would not be as safe anyway.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 21:19   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
As I am sure you already know any plans for roundabouts will be Lancashire County Council and not Hyndburn's.

You are probably also aware that Lancashire will not be doing anything about the area and several others in Hyndburn unless they do the Rapid Transport plan they think is such a good idea.

It was suggested at a recent Area Council meting that Lancashire are trying to black mail the residents of Hyndburn to accept this bus route even though it brings with it many unwanted things like reduced parking outside shops in Union road and outside residents houses in Ossy and Clayton as well as other areas.

As for solving the problem of cars going through on red I would expect a Policeman or two could solve that.
Old 11-01-2009, 21:24   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Are you talking about the lights at the Commercial? I know it's changed completely since I lived in West End, when the route along Blackburn Rd was really the only way into Accrington, but which buildings have they knocked down? I seem to remember the old Council Offices had gone last time I drove down there. I always loved that curved building, even the Victorian public loos next door to it, and sometimes interesting architecture gets sacrificed for "improvement". So, what's gone now?
Yes we are talking about the lights near the Commercial. They have demolished three buildings as you go up Market Street(think it is) towards Oswaldtwisle. Just lower down from the now defunct Post Office.
Old 11-01-2009, 21:25   #13

It was decided last year about the double roundabout scheme. They are supposed to be starting work on it around March iirc.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 21:29   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
It was decided last year about the double roundabout scheme. They are supposed to be starting work on it around March iirc.
Oh ok Phil ... interesting thanks.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 21:36   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Yes we are talking about the lights near the Commercial. They have demolished three buildings as you go up Market Street(think it is) towards Oswaldtwisle. Just lower down from the now defunct Post Office.

Oh, thanks Bernie. I got a shock last time I was in that area but I think I'd be totally lost now. Church Con Club, a red-brick building as I remember (I used to go to dances there in the 50s), was reasonably close to the traffic lights. Has that gone? I believe my mother's old home, Church Railway Station House, no longer exists and the station is now just platforms.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..