Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23   #61
Junior Member+

Re: Church's Historic Waterfront

Does anyone out there know the exact location of Donkey Back in Church?
kitweman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2009, 09:56   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitweman View Post
Does anyone out there know the exact location of Donkey Back in Church?
end of church kirk lane across from thorn inn,goes down by side of st james church to the cut.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:17   #63
Junior Member+

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
kitweman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11   #64
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
end of church kirk lane across from thorn inn,goes down by side of st james church to the cut.
Happy, happy days..........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 07:57   #65
dhm
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, at last something appears to be happening to Church's Grade II listed warehouse - although, alas, not to it's equally illustrious neighbour, the Commercial Hotel. We don't know yet weather this is simply a temporary preserving operation for the building or possibly the beginning of a redevelopment, although I suspect the former because nowts happening on the hotel.

Many thanks to Acrylic Bob for suppling the piccy's, which I suspect were taken on the same day as the Clayton Grade II warehouse.

Anyway, a couple of questions for all you students of Industrial Archeology:

1) Looking from the front of the Warehouse, what is the reason for the height of the entrance arch?

2) Looking across at the rear of the Warehouse, why is the bottom half the the facing and side wall corner angled at 45 degrees, rather than the normal right angle?

There's a Coconut from Acrylic and a goldfish from me for the first person with both correct answers.
the photo of dr harbinsons reminded me of the time dr harbinson removed a cyste from my neck with a scapel, i can still hear him saying to my mother ( hold him still mrs mellor this is going to hurt) who says they were the good old days.
Bolton in Ossy likes this.
dhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 15:13   #66

Afternoon. I was just making one of my infrequent Accy Web visits re an "outsider" interest in Church, particularly the Hargreaves Mill on the right angle and the Haslingden Canal connection that never was, when I saw there was a relatively recent comment on this thread. I've not visited Church [or the pie shop] in person for a few months so I presume the Mill remains in the same state?

CH4 repeated a Tony Robinson Doc on the Leeds Liverpool last night. I must have missed it the first time around somehow. It didn't cover Accrington at all only partly the Liverpool and Yorkshire ends and a map of the route at the beginning didn't have the Church "kink" but perhaps that was the original line. It was interesting to see that a switch from the Lime trade to Coal created a similar abrupt change of the route [as at Church] on the way out from Liverpool to Wigan. This all relates to the canal activity in Church that others have mentioned over the years.

I'd also previously missed the comment [post12"] about Dr Harbinsons Surgery [where dhm had a painfull experience] and the nearby pub being targets for demolition. I appreciate they weren't actually in Church from the comment made but where exactly was/is the location and are they still in existence? They look like significant buildings but the thread itself goes back to 2004 and I'm hoping they weren't destroyed.
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:38   #67
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Unfortunately the mill hasn't fallen down yet.
Old 31-05-2015, 21:06   #68

Ok Neil-that wasn't quite what I was looking for but thanks [I think]. Most people seem concerned that so much has been destroyed in Church already which is why I'm asking about the old Surgery. I'm concious though that if it's where you actually live it's probaly a very different experience. perhaps but from the outsider perspective, things look different. In conjunction with the story of the Canal being built and it's rarity Hargreaves is bound to be missed if it's lost [and the pub's impressive or was].
Dave

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone" Joni Mitchell
Old 31-05-2015, 21:31   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Which pub the eyesore that's the Commercial? That needs pulling down with that old mill. They could have made a proper road junction there if they had change the landscape from 19th to 21st century. I'm all for saving our heritage but we can't live in the past and we don't have the money available to save everything.
Old 31-05-2015, 22:12   #70
Senior Member+

Is this what you meant Dave Walsh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drs surgery 24 june 06.jpg (76.8 KB, 31 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12   #71

Yes that's the sort of local view I'm seeking Neil. It does seem that the Commercial at least is a lost cause but many parts of the country would treasure something like the Mill building. I'd imagine that it's the fragmentation of the original community that has led to this situation. It was not overly obvious [to someone like me] that a road junction there would have been better but then I haven't had to live through the major changes and neglect that Church seems to have suffered.

Thanks for the 2006 photo Atarah with the pub and Drs Surgery mentioned at post 12 in 2004. Is there anything left by now? I still don't know where it is [apart from not quite in Church]. Apologies for my general ignorance.
Dave

Last edited by Dave Walsh; 01-06-2015 at 12:18.
Old 01-06-2015, 14:26   #72
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Many parts of the Country down south where they have more money to spend. We don't and we have a lot of derelict buildings that the owners can't sell and can't afford to do anything with. Listing them is often a curse as it makes maintenance harder and more expensive.
We are living in 19th century towns trying to fit in a modern lifestyle , streets built when almost no one had a car and now some terraced houses have 2 or 3. I've had an ignorant woman from up the road parked across my drive sine I came home from work at 7am this morning, I assume it was there all night and she will be told next time I'll have it moved. We need a sensible approach to saving our heritage while improving and modernising our towns at the same time. We have many councillors who are stuck in the past and either don't see the problems with our towns or dare not address them and make the required changes

Oh and a planning department I wouldn't trust to plan what socks they are wearing today
Old 01-06-2015, 19:26   #73

I agree with that analysis of the problem Neil especially re planning/listing but demolition of your own inheritance isn't a solution. They knocked down the Cottage Hospital in Ramsbottom recently for a housing development which could very easily have been built around it. It's not just a "southern money" argument either. I'm in Sussex currently and there are people here with no concern for the past. The worst example is perhaps Liverpool, now supposed to be on the up, they've been destroying it's Georgian heritage for forty years and even flattened the original "Cavern" for a car park!

I don't suppose YOU know where the Surgery and Pub were/are located do you?

Dave

PS. My house in Rammy is directly onto the street and I've had vans parked on the pavement across the front door so I couldn't get out. thoughtless! A woman parked her car there one Xmas and my wife invited her in for sherry and mince pies. When the driver asked why my wife said "we always have people round who are close to us at this time of the year" Never saw the offender again

Dave

Last edited by Dave Walsh; 01-06-2015 at 19:28.
Old 01-06-2015, 19:31   #74
Senior Member+

I think they were at the bottom of Pearl Street (now Pearl Court), knocked down now for a housing developement.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.75...!6m1!1e1?hl=en
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 20:01   #75

Thank you for that-shame they looked like great buildings!
Dave

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..