Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2009, 03:00   #1

Dolly Blue

Can someone please help. When as a child we went on the Sunday run, I can remember on the way home to Accrington going round a bend and a set of traffic light where on the left was a large building with blue walls from the production of Dolly Blue, can anyone please tell me where exactly this factory was and its name, was it near Church
Siddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2009, 07:57   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Dolly Blue

remember the blue dye on the wall siddie, seem to think it was just under the railway bridge,by 20 steps going towards blackburn from church lights, was no factory yon in those days, but before 50s?
Old 29-04-2009, 08:05   #3

Cahman, thank you so much, I knew there was blue on the walls, everyone including my 85yr old dad doesnt remember it, all they remember is Backbarrow which is now a hotel.
I now live in Kent but will be in Lancashire next month for our 40th wedding anniversary and will make a bee line there although I suspect I may not recognise it now and the blue will have gone but yes it was in the 1950 I remember it.
Would you be kind enough to tell me the name of the road where the bridge is/was if you know it and thanks once again for your reply.
When I find out if I can add pictures I will show you my Dolly and Blue

p.s. what are 20 steps ??
Old 29-04-2009, 08:12   #4
Senior Member+

Take a look at an earlier thread about this ;-

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ome-46339.html
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 08:18   #5

Thanks David yes I saw the posting and a hint someones father worked there but I wasnt sure exactly where it was

If you look in the gallery you will see my Dolly and Blue
Old 29-04-2009, 08:26   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddie View Post
Cahman, thank you so much, I knew there was blue on the walls, everyone including my 85yr old dad doesnt remember it, all they remember is Backbarrow which is now a hotel.
I now live in Kent but will be in Lancashire next month for our 40th wedding anniversary and will make a bee line there although I suspect I may not recognise it now and the blue will have gone but yes it was in the 1950 I remember it.
Would you be kind enough to tell me the name of the road where the bridge is/was if you know it and thanks once again for your reply.
When I find out if I can add pictures I will show you my Dolly and Blue

p.s. what are 20 steps ??
right, approach church from accy on blackburn road, through the church traffic lights (Right Hand Lane) carry on about 800 yds go under railway bridge n it was on yer right, most of that wall has been taken down,they made a small grassy area yon now, not sure if theres any dye left on the bit thats left (only about 18" high now) will have a look on thursday, n post again. P.S. directly under that railway bridge in left corner are 20 steps, a stairway thats always been called that.
Old 29-04-2009, 08:30   #7

You are a star Cashman, thank you very much, will look forward to the next post and fingers crossed its still got the blue dye just to prove I am not crackers lol
Just as a matter of interest did you ever get your hair cut in a barbers shop in Burnley Road Accy in the 1960, if so that was my dad who now lives in Kent and is 85yrs old
Did you see my pictures of Dolly and Blue

Last edited by Siddie; 29-04-2009 at 08:33.
Old 29-04-2009, 08:43   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

if yer dad was the barber just up from the boars head, across the road then i occasionally did pop in, as i lived just behind boars on Dowry St. in those days. just had a sneck great photos.

Last edited by cashman; 29-04-2009 at 08:48.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 08:49   #9

He had two shops first one lower down apposite Dents Electrical shop and then he moved to one further up on the same side, his name is Cyril Whittaker a 6ft dark handsome ex Welsh Guardsman
Old 29-04-2009, 09:00   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
He had two shops first one lower down apposite Dents Electrical shop and then he moved to one further up on the same side, his name is Cyril Whittaker a 6ft dark handsome ex Welsh Guardsman
when i was tiny i lived directly across from Alan E Dents at number 14 Burnley Rd,just up from Ann Parkins shop, which is still yon, but the small row of houses are long gone.so was probably taken there but don't remember now.
Old 29-04-2009, 09:02   #11

Dad was next door to Ann Parkinson I think his is the last shop in the row now that wasnt pulled down
Old 29-04-2009, 09:03   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
right, approach church from accy on blackburn road, through the church traffic lights (Right Hand Lane) carry on about 800 yds go under railway bridge n it was on yer right, most of that wall has been taken down,they made a small grassy area yon now, not sure if there's any dye left on the bit thats left (only about 18" high now) will have a look on thursday, n post again. P.S. directly under that railway bridge in left corner are 20 steps, a stairway that's always been called that.
There used to be two flights of steps cashy (don't know if both are still there), one at both sides of the road, going from Church to Blackburn there was one set on the right Church side and on the left Blackburn side, the ones on the right led right into Blyths the ones on the other side led to a footpath which if followed took you straight through to White Ash playing fields
Old 29-04-2009, 09:05   #13

Could it have been Blyths that made the Dolly Blue
Old 29-04-2009, 09:07   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yeh the ones on the right were other side of the bridge john, goin back towards accy, where blocked off many yrs ago, but were still there late 90s, aint noticed since, summat else i'll look at tomoz.
Old 29-04-2009, 09:08   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Could it have been Blyths that made the Dolly Blue
Not to my knowledge Siddie, worked yon fer 22 years.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..