Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2007, 18:43   #61
God Member

Re: gypsys

Apparently some of these so called travellers are now living in houses, my daughter has just moved house and her little boys bike was stolen from the back yard testerday. Who took it? One of their kids, they picked on the wrong one this time as he loves his bike. He got it back and will go looking for it if it happens again. I have told my daughter to bring the bike to my house where it will be safe.
Old 19-08-2007, 07:22   #62
Senior Member+

Yeah i think there is a gipsy living in church st near thorn in, there is no doubt she is a gipsy, accent dressing style and of course the swearing kids
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 08:00   #63
God Member

I had to laugh the other day when I read a report in an American newspaper about how Americans were "shocked" when visiting Europeans (including Brits) had no qualms about using derogatory tems about gypsys in polite sociey, terms and phrases that if they had been about Blacks or other ethnic groups would never be allowed.
Guess since we don't have many they are viewed as exotic , much like the 'indian' take-aways now sprouting up
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 08:53   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
Yeah i think there is a gipsy living in church st near thorn in, there is no doubt she is a gipsy, accent dressing style and of course the swearing kids

swearing kids really rile me even Reece is gobsmacked if he ever see's a kid swearing in the street or on tv, there's no need for it
Old 21-08-2007, 10:13   #65
God Member

Well they are back on Eagle Street again. I had to go to Blackburn first thing and there were a couple of caravans parked up where council offices used to be. There are three or four of them now, I don't know how they get away with just putting their caravans where they want!!
Old 21-08-2007, 11:56   #66
Senior Member+

they ve all gone from grt harwood slingers site
and to be fair to someone you would not know they have been there
unless the council have cleaned up after them

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 12:26   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
they ve all gone from grt harwood slingers site
and to be fair to someone you would not know they have been there
unless the council have cleaned up after them
I really can't see them clearing their own rubbish up, my mum said it was a disgrace when they moved on from Church, rubbish everywhere. I don't think they will get to stay on Eagle Street very long, there are still some council offices on the corner of Cannon Street
Old 23-08-2007, 19:51   #68

******, must be getting better, BIN BAGS. lock up everything till they have gone.
jimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 20:22   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlin View Post
******, must be getting better, BIN BAGS. lock up everything till they have gone.
We are always careful about security, just have to be extra vigilant till they move on!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:31   #70
God Member

This item appeared in Telegraph today.

Travellers Prompt Calls For Tougher Laws (from Lancashire Telegraph)

I think it is time to give authorities the power to shift them and possibly confiscate property 'Vehicles and Caravans' until the mess is cleared up by them?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:46   #71
God Member

I hope they do get the extra powers, the money that is being spent to get these people off sites that shouldn't even be there in the first place could be put to far better use. It looks like Blackburn might be playing host to them next unless they drive past. Rather you than me they have been on our street a few times this year, hope we have seen the last of them!!
Old 05-09-2007, 19:42   #72

on sunday i was walking down from ossy past the train station an there were quite a few caravans parked up on top gear car park round the bk of the post office. dont no if they are still there as i dnt go up that way much
lisa1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 20:06   #73
Full Member+

There is one caravan on Aldi car park. Probably wants to be first in line for the Thursday morning offers
Old 05-09-2007, 20:09   #74

They get it too easy. When i wap working for the council 2 of us where sent down that area picking litter and we were told we had to remove the bin bags that had been left outside the commercial. I asked my supervisor why we had to collect thier rubbish when they dont pay for council services and he couldnt give me a reasonable answer. And if that wasnt bad enough while i was moving the bags some fat guy came over and told me if i took the bags he would set his dog on me (i told him in a very polite way to go away;-)).
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 20:54   #75
God Member

If you think the situation is bad now you won't want to read this from todays Daily Express !!

BRITAIN was last night warned to brace itself for a huge influx of gypsies from Eastern Europe.

Self-proclaimed Gypsy King Florin Cioaba said thousands of poverty-stricken Roma are set to descend on rich countries like the UK.

Britain and other EU countries such as France and Italy would have a responsibility to look after gypsies, providing them with homes and money, he insisted.

Cioaba told a crowd of 3,000 Roma at the annual gypsy festival in Romania: “Thousands of Roma will leave for western Europe looking for jobs and a better life.

“The next two years will be critical for Europe because it will need to learn to absorb the high number of immigrants coming from Romania and Bulgaria.”

He declared: “We need to help them integrate in the country they have chosen. I am thinking about those of my people who left for the promised land and were left with no money and get no help at all from anyone.

“Each EU country should set up some help and directing centres for these people.”

Cioaba blamed Romania for the coming exodus, claiming that gypsies face daily discrimination.

He said Romanian President Traian Basescu had recently referred to an unfriendly journalist as “a stinking gypsy”.

Cioaba went on: “Everybody hates gypsies, even though not all of us are criminals and thieves.”

The Home Office last night accepted there were legitimate concerns about immigration but added: “As EU citizens these people have free movement. We cannot stop them coming.”
It said steps had been taken to limit the numbers of low-skilled workers coming from Bulgaria and Romania.

There is growing concern, however, at the cost to British taxpayers of helping gypsies to integrate. Sir Andrew Green, of pressure group MigrationWatchUK, said: “It is unacceptable that thousands of gypsies should come here to live off the welfare state.

“It would be the last straw for a public stretched to the limit by the Government’s continued failure to get a grip on immigration.

“The Government must ensure that no benefits are paid to non- workers so as to discourage such an inflow.”

Tory former Home Office Minister Ann Widdecombe said: “We do not need to be told they are coming and that we must look after them. We already have a problem with the thousands of lawful immigrants from Eastern Europe who are putting a strain on our infrastructure.”

Tim Aker of the TaxPayers’ Alliance said: “It is good of the Gypsy King to warn us of this new influx but why should British taxpayers have to tolerate it? We do not owe all Europe’s gypsies a special duty of care.

“British taxpayers should not have to guarantee financial support to these people, regardless of how many arrive here. We need proper restrictions.”

There are three million gypsies living in Romania and Bulgaria. All gained the right to travel to Britain and other Western states when their countries became part of the EU on January 1.
Hundreds of thousands of Roma have left and can be seen in cities across Western Europe.

In Italy, Romanian gypsies have been blamed for a huge crime wave, plaguing towns and cities which have adopted drastic measures to combat them. The town of Pavia has offered to pay £700 to each gypsy who goes home.

In Dublin, 90 Romanian gypsies were repatriated after they set up a camp on a motorway roundabout. In France, groups of colourfully dressed young women beg for money in almost every town square.

Most of Europe’s eight million Roma live in the South-east of the Continent, where many struggle with prejudice, poverty and high illiteracy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..