Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 11:21   #1

Mastabar fire

Don't know whether this is a coincidence, but I was talking to a guy who works at Mastabar (in a fairly senior position) on christmas eve, and he was saying that they were looking to relocate to smaller premises at whitebirk. Hence days later the factory goes up in flames in what appear to be suspicious circumstances.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-01-2009, 16:13   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Mastabar fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Don't know whether this is a coincidence, but I was talking to a guy who works at Mastabar (in a fairly senior position) on christmas eve, and he was saying that they were looking to relocate to smaller premises at whitebirk. Hence days later the factory goes up in flames in what appear to be suspicious circumstances.
You blowing the whistle on um then
Old 06-01-2009, 11:08   #3

No I wouldn't do that he's a mate of mine.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:27   #4
God Member

They have been on about relocating for ages, years in fact. The fire was in the disused part of the factory where belt fasteners were made. Spent a happy few years working there
Old 07-01-2009, 18:25   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
They have been on about relocating for ages, years in fact. The fire was in the disused part of the factory where belt fasteners were made. Spent a happy few years working there
Same here, a good few years. Do you remember a chap named Cole and D Chamberlin, and that loveable character Johnty...............the fire beater

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 19:51   #6
God Member

We used to "find" big staple things round the back of there when we were kids, used to fire them with big elastic bands like using a catapault, didn't half hurt when they hit you

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 20:31   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Same here, a good few years. Do you remember a chap named Cole and D Chamberlin, and that loveable character Johnty...............the fire beater
Names aren't ringing any bells, I worked on the plating plant
Old 11-01-2009, 18:33   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Names aren't ringing any bells, I worked on the plating plant
Cole was the machine shop manager, Dick Chamberlin was a foreman, another name Eric Moon (machine shop) Doug Row (welder)
Worked there in the 60's.................wow giving my age away now

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-01-2009, 19:07   #9
God Member

Quote:
Cole was the machine shop manager, Dick Chamberlin was a foreman, another name Eric Moon (machine shop) Doug Row (welder)
Worked there in the 60's.................wow giving my age away now
Thats why the names aren't ringing any bells, was mid eighties when I went there. Great place to work
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If its the same Johnty I'm thinking about Park he could put the pints away too at a great rate of knotts, he lived on Badge Brow with his Mother, always carried a little bag with him, he ended up in Peel Court HFE where he died, he was one of Ossy's real characters
Old 12-01-2009, 11:51   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If its the same Johnty I'm thinking about Park he could put the pints away too at a great rate of knotts, he lived on Badge Brow with his Mother, always carried a little bag with him, he ended up in Peel Court HFE where he died, he was one of Ossy's real characters
Think we are talking about the same person, what was the pub on the corner called, the one across from Badge Brow a Lions house, had a small snug complete with coal fire. Johnty used to get dropped off there at dinner time and picked up at 1pm or there abouts and have downed 12 pints, he would take several pint crystals back to work with him and hide them in the coal bunker. Used to cook bacon on a No10 shovel in one of the tubes of the Lancy Boiler, wash all his smalls in a 45gall. drum warmed up by steam. Used to finish work at 5pm next stop was the pub next to antley garage, was it the Oak Tree, he would down 12 pints in there then head back to ossy and his local, that was every working day. Yes he was a character alright, never had any teeth in, and always wore clogs with irons on.

Albert Einstein.

Old 12-01-2009, 16:31   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Think we are talking about the same person, what was the pub on the corner called, the one across from Badge Brow a Lions house, had a small snug complete with coal fire. Johnty used to get dropped off there at dinner time and picked up at 1pm or there abouts and have downed 12 pints, he would take several pint crystals back to work with him and hide them in the coal bunker. Used to cook bacon on a No10 shovel in one of the tubes of the Lancy Boiler, wash all his smalls in a 45gall. drum warmed up by steam. Used to finish work at 5pm next stop was the pub next to antley garage, was it the Oak Tree, he would down 12 pints in there then head back to ossy and his local, that was every working day. Yes he was a character alright, never had any teeth in, and always wore clogs with irons on.
He used to drink in the Horse Shoe when Osbaleston had it Park, when it closed to changed to he Foxhill, mind you Johnty would drink anywhere he could, but even so I never saw him drunk or staggering, and I was a very inoffensive bloke in every way, he always used to stop me in the street for a chat and ask how my parents were, he grew up with them apparently
Old 12-01-2009, 16:48   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He used to drink in the Horse Shoe when Osbaleston had it Park, when it closed to changed to he Foxhill, mind you Johnty would drink anywhere he could, but even so I never saw him drunk or staggering, and I was a very inoffensive bloke in every way, he always used to stop me in the street for a chat and ask how my parents were, he grew up with them apparently
Thats the place, the Horse Shoe I have picked him up from there myself if Doug the welder could not get there. Johnty used to keep me going with bacon teackes (very large ones from York st) at break time.

Albert Einstein.

Old 26-02-2009, 20:53   #14

i was at my mums that nite it "caught" fire ,next to the grave yard , on my way home i said i can smell burning , this was half six ish , half eight mum rings me up and says its on fire massive flames , so it took two hours or so to take hold !!
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..