Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2004, 22:48   #1
Senior Member+

Property on Church Street

Just look at this photo, look at the fine chimney pots. They look "better than average" - look at the end of the row, with a lovely rounded bit. Was there something special about this block?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossgunsoct2004.jpg (81.0 KB, 150 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2004, 00:43   #2
Member.

Re: Property on Church Street

I remember similar building that stood on the end of what was Bradley Street, I think it was a paper shop at the time, it was different in that it had three steps up to the door, The shop keeper had a little yorki which sunk it’s teeth in to my forehead over my Right eye ten minutes before I was due to leave for a day trip to Blackpool. I ended up at the Vic having a stitch, and then I got battered for ruining the day. Still it got me on the way out and I got my little bag of coconut mushrooms.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2004, 20:03   #3

Hi,with regards to the farmhouse over the bridge from St,James St,this was run
by the Thornley family for as long as i can remember.The last member was Ralph
I remember a man hanging himself in the barn.As for the white house which later
was owned by the Jorden's this was the house owned by the Wilson's who
built the clock in Maden St,I think the reason for the chimney's was the pub
called The Cross Guns.This had quite a lot of rooms.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2004, 22:55   #4
Resident Waffler

Oh yes can see how those chimneys belong to the cross keys. It looks as if the other house(s) may have had similar chimney pots once too though.

There is a similar rounded corner building in Clayton, just over the canal bridge on the left as you go down.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:49   #5
God Member

According to the maps this row of houses appear to have been built sometime between 1845 and 1891. There were several different houses on the same block of land in 1845, all of them separated by gardens or yards. To the rear, there was a considerable jumble of industrial buildings labelled Church Lane Chemical Works, though these buildings are shown as cleared land in 1891

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 01-11-2004 at 08:09.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 16:27   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
There is a similar rounded corner building in Clayton, just over the canal bridge on the left as you go down.
I think this really gives the game away. The best example of this type of round building is by the Canal Wharf at Eanam in Blackburn(as you cross over the bridge, it's on your left), where you have a long building, round at both ends. It was, in fact, old canal warehouse offices and represents a barge. There is a similar symbolic represenation with the rounded building near the canal at Clayton. The rounded building you are looking at on the picture above stands at the corner of the street leading down to what was one of only two dry docks on the Leeds Liverpool Canal (The other being at Skipton). The last time I looked by there the yard was being used for glass recyling.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 16:51   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
The last time I looked by there the yard was being used for glass recyling.
Hyndburn council own it now, its their garage for maintaining the trucks, moved there from the old bus depot in Ellison St

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..