Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 19:46   #1
land of hope and glory

riding barn street-coal merchant!

I dont know if anyone has a good memory but one of the locals has given me permission to show this photo,IT has a bit of history to it as well hope you enjoy!
This picture was taken on hyndburn road at the bottom of what is now riding barn street,Can you notice the farm house at the right hand side,also if you look just below the fence you can see anouther farm house on the horizon.No elmfield street and no council houses!The houses that you can see still stand and they are called park terrace south view, the inscription is on the stone post in front of the horse.The gentleman sat at the front of the cart was called DAVID POLLARD he was born in 1871,after checking the census of 1901 he was 29 years old and was born at enfield lancs darwen,His job title was a coal carter and he died on the 19th november 1936 aged 65 years.A little tale to tell of this gentleman is that during a game of cards against a member of the wilkinson family he lost his horse and cart along with the rest of his buisiness.After a while the chap who had won the game of cards sold up and bought and started wilkinsons removals.
there are two photos the original and one i have attempted to clean up hope you enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sledger original.jpg (117.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg sledger2.jpg (92.8 KB, 193 views)
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2005, 19:55   #2
mez
God Member

Re: riding barn street-coal merchant!

well done staggeringman, & wot story with it, very interesting too.
Old 02-02-2005, 22:35   #3
Resident Waffler

Would the farm on the horizon be the one that is now in Dill Hall Lane on the left as you go up?

I notice that is an unmade road too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 14:21   #4

I think the guy mentioned was Tony Pollard's Grandad. Tony went to school with me and his photo is somewhere on this site as a member of my class at St. Andrews school in 1953-55.

Tony lived on Hyndburn Road at just about that point in the Photo, and he talked about his grandad who use to have a coal business, and people use to laugh about it (I never knew why...nor did I care), Pork (Tony) was my mate at school - Thin as a rake, and smoked Park Drive (yes we even smoked in Junior School -cancer sticks), that's why we called him "Pork"....

Unfortunately I heard that Tony died several years ago.

A very nice Photo of days when people were "real" people, and "real" Lancastrians.

Thanks Staggers!!

Last edited by Darby; 03-02-2005 at 14:24.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 14:26   #5
Resting in Peace

A very good job Staggeringman and a great story too well done !!
I hope you have some more pics like this you can put on.
Please keep it up
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 16:35   #6
God Member

An interesting shadow on this picture....the sun appears to be directly overhead.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 18:17   #7
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
I think the guy mentioned was Tony Pollard's Grandad. Tony went to school with me and his photo is somewhere on this site as a member of my class at St. Andrews school in 1953-55.

Tony lived on Hyndburn Road at just about that point in the Photo, and he talked about his grandad who use to have a coal business, and people use to laugh about it (I never knew why...nor did I care), Pork (Tony) was my mate at school - Thin as a rake, and smoked Park Drive (yes we even smoked in Junior School -cancer sticks), that's why we called him "Pork"....

Unfortunately I heard that Tony died several years ago.

A very nice Photo of days when people were "real" people, and "real" Lancastrians..

Thanks Staggers!!
do you know a bloke called bill sledden he is from around this area and he recalls tony pollard who lived on jubilee road.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
do you know a bloke called bill sledden he is from around this area and he recalls tony pollard who lived on jubilee road.
That's going back a bit...yes Tony did live on Jubilee Road, I'd forgotten its name.

Bill Sledden....I can vaguely remember him, I think he was just a bit younger than myself. If he knew Tony then he would almost certainly know Granville Larder, Les & Trev Birtwistle and Billy Gudgeon amongst others, and scrumping in Stozzies pen at the back of Dill Hall Lane.

I'll be calling into the Stag in mid-April (sorry it's a long walk from here!)...maybe we could have a chat then!

Tony Pollard is the tall one on the back row. Fifth from the left (see Attached Photo). I'm on the same row 3rd from the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg class_1_noch kleiner.jpg (86.3 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Darby; 04-02-2005 at 11:38.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 13:38   #9

Quite interesting Staggeringman, brilliant photo as well.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 21:54   #10
Junior Member+

bill sledden is my grandad
sledden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 12:22   #11

There was another coal merchant on Ernest St by the name of Alf Steer.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:50   #12
Junior Member+

Blimey just come across this one david pollard was my great grandfather , he also enlisted in the east lancashire regiment during ww1 but never served overseas as he was discharged with a club foot and had troubles marching according to his service record unfortunatly his son walter richard pollard was k.i.a 3 weeks after being awarded the Military Medal for action during ww1
Atb
Nathan
nsledden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 12:29   #13
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
That's going back a bit...yes Tony did live on Jubilee Road, I'd forgotten its name.

Bill Sledden....I can vaguely remember him, I think he was just a bit younger than myself. If he knew Tony then he would almost certainly know Granville Larder, Les & Trev Birtwistle and Billy Gudgeon amongst others, and scrumping in Stozzies pen at the back of Dill Hall Lane.

I'll be calling into the Stag in mid-April (sorry it's a long walk from here!)...maybe we could have a chat then!

Tony Pollard is the tall one on the back row. Fifth from the left (see Attached Photo). I'm on the same row 3rd from the right.
Granville Larder, Mick and Trev Birtwisle and Les Birtwistle and loads more of us went to St Christophers in 1958. Granville and myself knocked about together for a while.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:56   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Granville Larder, Mick and Trev Birtwisle and Les Birtwistle and loads more of us went to St Christophers in 1958. Granville and myself knocked about together for a while.
Just back and seen this, did yeh know Granville died the other year mate?
Old 24-11-2015, 08:09   #15
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Just back and seen this, did yeh know Granville died the other year mate?
No I didn't know that Olly. He was a good mate throughout school.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..