Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 13:03   #1
God Member

Roadworks at Church

Can anyone please explain what the hell is going on with those roadworks at Church? My original understanding was that new utilities were being laid down for our posh new estate on the old lodge (rumour has it a couple of premiership football players have bought houses there) but that was 3 months ago and everything should have been fixed by now. Instead, the entire traffic system appears to have been brought to a halt...whats going on? How much longer will it last? Does anyone know? Who's in charge?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2004, 13:15   #2
God Member

Re: Roadworks at Church

been past it today and found they have placed one of them concrete lumps at the entrance to the new estate, has Hyndburn gone roundabout mad! these things are appearing everywhere, especially in places they are not needed

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 17:06   #3

What roundabout??? Have they changed the lights by ernest st church eventually????
savo is back. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 17:13   #4
mez
God Member

no they are creating a new roundabout or is it just a bump there /// i thought it was a roundabout /// weird is all i can say
Old 05-08-2004, 17:20   #5
God Member

the lights might be next to go! they have dis-connected them and put temp ones up for some reason

www.ubuntu.com

Old 05-08-2004, 17:24   #6
I am Band

Before the spherical paint spillage on Blackburn Road, the junction of Henry Street, Market Street and Blackburn Road always appeared to smooth the flow of traffic most easily when the traffic lights were out of action. So why have the lights in the first place.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 17:29   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Before the spherical paint spillage on Blackburn Road, the junction of Henry Street, Market Street and Blackburn Road always appeared to smooth the flow of traffic most easily when the traffic lights were out of action. So why have the lights in the first place.
There were a lot less cars on the road then, are you talking about when the main road used to go past the Queens at church and you joined Blackburn Rd by the Commercial?

www.ubuntu.com

Old 05-08-2004, 17:56   #8
I am Band

No, I refer to the road layout since the current junction system has been in operation, ten years or more? probably longer. The additional roundabout will only contribute further to the traffic congestion.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 18:05   #9
God Member

I agree, I cant see any reason at all for a roundabout into an entrance to an housing estate, just another accident black spot now if you ask me

www.ubuntu.com

Old 05-08-2004, 21:15   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Those temporary lights are a pain. I was sat there so long in the car the other day that I managed to eat my lunch. By the time I got through them I had lost the will to live and I'm sure I've developed a thrombosis. To top all that, I was late for an appointment even though I'd set off in plenty of time, as I knew the lights were there. I have been taking alternative routes since, ie through Springhill to Ossy. This can't be good, if everybody does it then these more residential roads are going to be jam packed with traffic.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 21:39   #11

I always find it easier to go via Springhill to get to Ossy rather than Blackburn Rd. A relative lives in Church and I fall foul of the roadworks every time, each time vowing that I will remember the next time!
Old 06-08-2004, 14:49   #12
IMY

The new roundabout does seem like a unless idea for this new estate and may cause a problem you just dnt knw.. This traffic light sysyem is not helping any one either is itnor for people or residents going into church azwell i bet az it cnt b gud.. i thought they had finished last week then they put these temp lights up which is not helping anyone who does use the road either to go up to dill hall lane or even 4rm blakcburn rd to church/blakcburn/ossy. hopefully it should be completed soon but u just never knw do ya...
IMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 13:06   #13
Resident Waffler

Ever since the road junction was changed from a basic crossroads it's been a pain and I'm sure there wasn't less traffic on the roads back then. I remember when I worked in Church and around 5pm it was impossible to get into the traffic in Market Street to head down to the lights as the traffic tailed back right up as far as the Palladium. So I used to go upwards and go along Moscow Mill St instead.

Anybody notice that when the roundabout was being painted a bus had right of way according to the lights but found io physically impossible to go round the bump so had to drive over it trailing the wet paint along as it did so?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..